PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

kado
23-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Maisey is a realy brilliant mum. She feeds them when they want too. There 5 wks on Friday but are not interested in food at all. I think Maisey has had enough or getting to the end of feeding them. Is there anything i can give her a boost with or should i be supplementing there milk with a kitten replacement one. They know where the litter tray is and i have to stop them eating it. i use catsan

Mags
23-09-2009, 09:57 AM
You can begin weaning kittens from 3 - 4 weeks old, you will need a bit of patience to get them started and it will give Maisey a break.

You may find some help here (http://www.professorshouse.com/pets/cats/weaning-kittens.aspx)

kado
23-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks for that. She seems to feed 2 of the kittens the most which are the biggest. Maisey went of the kitten food that i got for her for a couple of days she just picked at it her pooh all so stunk. So i put her on too whiskas kitten yesterday and she loves it. Going to try to feed them again now.

angieh
23-09-2009, 12:16 PM
There is a feline replacement milk called Cimicat but IMO it's expensive, especially as the kittens are old enough to be weaned. I think you just need to persist with trying to get them to take solids Jane. Just a little at a time and perhaps try several times a day if you are able to. The smellier the better as it will attract them to eat. Maisey sounds as if she's near enough had enough, poor love.

Cat poo is generally very smelly, don't you think?

kado
23-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Yes it is. The trouble with me iswhen all decided to go at the same time

kado
23-09-2009, 01:16 PM
can you feed them on lactol

angieh
23-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Yes, I'm sure you could. I think that's what I used for Smudge and her kittens back in the 80's - couldn't remember the name.

Moli
23-09-2009, 02:04 PM
I have used Cimicat for some of the foster kittens, and have to say they were not impressed with it....

kado
23-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Just tried them on lactol. The smallest one drank straight away after she tried to lift the saucer up. One of the others showed interest and the other 2 just wanted to play together. Maisey loved it too.

angieh
23-09-2009, 03:39 PM
That's great. Hope it gives Maisey a bit of a break.

dandysmom
23-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Maisey is certainly a good mum! But enough is enough, hope the kits get the hang of the milk and food quickly.

kado
23-09-2009, 06:05 PM
I am trying to hard i am wondering. If i feed Maisey i always try the kittens with food. They would rather play then eat or drink. Should i try them before Maisey feeds them. One of them did drink water but again is the largest. They seem so freightened of the dishes and run backwards. I have left a dish of mushed up food for them and keeping an eye on them as the others like eating it.

calismum
23-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Try getting them drinking first - that's easier for them. Then add a little kitten food to make it as runny as poss, gradually increasing the amount. They will get the hang of it. Gently dip their nose to it and sometimes the action of licking their nose will give the idea. Or try getting them to lick food off your finger. It is the smell that will get them going as well as the texture.

Try to keep mum away for a wee while then do a trial feed when they're hungry.

Have fun!!!!

kado
23-09-2009, 07:21 PM
I usualy have to shut the others in the living room so the kittens can run around without me worrying about the others hurting them, they dont its just me that panicks. Maisey hates being shut aways from her babies she crys. I am having fun, my fingers are always smelling of cat food at the moment.

angieh
23-09-2009, 07:55 PM
What sort of dishes are you using Jane? I think kittens find a plate or saucer easier than a bowl.

kado
23-09-2009, 08:00 PM
They have a saucer and also a plastic picnic plate. The bowl that one of them drank water out of is about 2 inches high. At the moment 2 are fast asleep behind the settee and Maisey is washing the other ones

angieh
23-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Just keep calm when you're trying to feed them! Don't worry if it doesn't work, just keep at it gently and calmly. It's good that they have taken to the Lactol. I wouldn't worry about Maisey being in the room with the kittens while you are trying to feed them unless she gets upset by it. I would also try to feed them before she does, then they'll be hungrier. Good luck!

incy
23-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Maisey is a realy brilliant mum. She feeds them when they want too. There 5 wks on Friday but are not interested in food at all. I think Maisey has had enough or getting to the end of feeding them. Is there anything i can give her a boost with or should i be supplementing there milk with a kitten replacement one. They know where the litter tray is and i have to stop them eating it. i use catsan

Gosh, you must start weening these kittens asap :oops: Giving them lactol is only going to delay this even more imo you should not be using this. For theirs and their mothers health, you must try harder, heating the kitten food should help (they are used to mothers milk being warm). Please listen to the good advise you got from others on your first thread on this topic. The two smaller ones really need to be weened as a matter of urgency, they are clearly getting less milk from mummy cat and you could loss them. Kittens go down quick if not getting enough calories. Good luck!

trick
23-09-2009, 09:23 PM
what kind of food are you feeding?
if your deperate try sone gently cooked chiken or chicken liver Most kittens fall for this although only use this as a starter as it can spoil them.
also start mixing the milk replacer in to the mushed up cat food

kado
23-09-2009, 09:41 PM
They have smalled itbut thats it. They arnt that little but the biggest has always been the biggest. When they got weighed at the vets las wednesday the heaviest weighed 1lb 3oz and the smallest 1lb. The smallest was the last to be born

kado
24-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Te smallest had just had her first food. I mushed up whiskas dry kitten food up with cooled water there was no lumps at all. She started to feed off mum so i took her off. Tried it under her nose then i wiped it on her foot she licked it off. I then gave her some off my finger which she ate and finaly the saucer and she wolfed quiet a bit down. Eventhe others didnt run away from it.

dandysmom
24-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Oh bless. she's catching on! Won't be long now till mum can shut down the milk bar.

kado
24-09-2009, 04:22 PM
They all tried it this afternoon. Then they run straight to Maisey for a drink. 3 are curled up together in the living room and the other is laying behind the settee curled up with Maisey.