PDA

View Full Version : diabetes

petzicat
18-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Hi all. Just found out today my eldest cat has diabetes :( She had some blood took today and the results should be back at the beginning of the week just to check sugar levels and other stuff. I have been told by the vets that she will have to have insulin jabs twice daily and a different diet . Just wondered who out there has a cat with this and what it's like to live with ? i.e. management of the condition and cost. Don't plan to get rid of her. will take extra special care of her. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks :D

angieh
18-09-2009, 05:45 PM
So sorry to hear this news petzicat. How old is she?

I have no experience of managing a cat with diabetes I'm afraid. I'm sure someone will be along shortly who has though.

pinklizzy
18-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Hi, welcome to Catsey. I'm sorry to hear that your cat has been diagnosed with diabetes, it's a condition which is very much on the increase in the UK. It can however be successfully managed with a combination of insulin therapy and diet. Initally your vet will need to perfom tests in order to establish the insulin requirements-usually done as a blood gulcose 'curve' where insulin is administered at a set point of the day, with blood glucose measurements taken throughout the day to accurately plot the concentration levels. Ideal levels are between 5-14mmol/l.
In terms of diet, a diet which is higher in protein and lower in carbohydrate tends to produce a better glycaemic control, there are a few comercially available prescription diets-your vet will be able to discuss these with you.
You should be able to be given training in the correct method of administration of the insulin. It is given sub-cutaneously usually in the scruff of the neck. As a student we practiced injecting water into oranges :shock: A cat's skin is suprisingly tough when injecting.
From time to time, your vet may ask you to get a urine sample from your cat as diabetic cats will have levels of glucose or ketones in the urine and measuring these will help to ascertain the level of control. The presence of glucose in the urine can also be a predisposing factor to developing urinary tract infection (the glucose helps bacterial growth)
Sorry, that has turned into a bit of an essay! The FAB cats website has an article titled 'diabetes-what does it mean for my cat and me?' which we give out to our clients and it's well worth a read.

petzicat
18-09-2009, 05:59 PM
She is eleven

petzicat
18-09-2009, 06:00 PM
P.S Thanks for the replies so far