PDA

View Full Version : help!

Raggylady
16-09-2009, 01:07 AM
Hi,
I wanted to know if anyone had any experience of undescended testicles in showcats.
I particularly want to know if there was any way of operating that didnt involve shaving of the fur.
I have been told that my Ragdoll needs to be shaved for the operation and that also if he is shaved then the fur will grow back darker, therefore making him unfit for show.
I am gutted about this. :cry:
He is 6 1/2 months old and has 1 undescended testicle. The vet cannot even find it in his groin area.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated..
Love,
Linda and Leo

borderdawn
16-09-2009, 11:19 AM
If its like dogs, then I would imagine it would be safe to leave him till he was more mature, like 14/16mths, then if the testicle hadnt descended, have them both removed. Cant comment on the coat colour, but as no other Ragdoll coats change colour with spaying or neutering, I wouldnt of thought your cat would be any different? I mean all neutered show cats would surely have been shaved?

yola
16-09-2009, 11:20 AM
No experience, sorry. But I do know that shaving the fur can alter shade/texture. Does your boy need to remain entire? Will it affect his showing if he's neutered because that might be the best option. Also, maybe the testicle didn't form? If the vet can't feel it could it simply not be there?

Either way - whether spay or exploratory operation I can't see how he's going to avoid having the area shaved. Having said that, the fur MAY grow back the same as before, there's no real way of telling until it's done.