PDA

View Full Version : Kizzy attended Pet Smile Month today!

angieh
15-09-2009, 11:28 PM
This could be something that loads of vet surgeries are doing this month - I don't know!!!?

Anyway, Kizzy went to see a vet nurse at our surgery for a dental check up and to have her weight assessed. Good news is that her teeth are OK, she has slight tartar but no other problems and so we bought various dental aids home with us to try on her.

The bad news is that she is 1 kilo overweight. She weighs in at a massive 5 kilos. :( Now, that is not as bad as I had thought from weighing her on my own scales just over a week ago. She was due for her Stronghold flea treatment and I wanted to see whether she was still within the weight range for the one I had. I thought she weighed 14 lbs, or a whole stone! :shock: So she's not quite as heavy as that, but obviously she needs to lose weight as she should be around 4 kilos and is a relatively small cat. We discussed all the options with the vet nurse and hopefully will be able to help her lose it. Also, she is beginning to play regularly with Pip, which will help her. The main problem will be stopping her eating Pip's food and vice versa.

If anyone in a multi cat household has found a way around this problem - I would much appreciate any suggestions on a practical level. Thanks!!!

Kizzy doesn't seem to be in the slightest embarrassed by her weight. She was an angel in the vet and allowed demonstrations with toothbrush and paste etc. The nurse was very impressed with how laid back she is! If she didn't need to loose weight, I'd have given her a treat. As it is she's just had extra cuddles!

Moli
15-09-2009, 11:32 PM
What a good girl she is......She is not grossly overweight Angie....My lot are between 4.6-4.8, apart from Chancer who is 5.9, but according to the vet not overweight....
Think its time we had some pictures of the lovely girl..........

catwoman999
15-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Having 4 cats, and one cat that eats a completely different food for health reasons....
I used to leave food out all day and night for them just to help themselves. But I can no longer do this :( The only 100% way to make sure they don't eat each others food is to feed in separate rooms. Not ideal I know, but its 100% effective.
Its not an easy thing to solve Angie