PDA

View Full Version : * Slightly Gory Pics-surgery*!

pinklizzy
15-09-2009, 09:15 PM
I took these photos the other day, showing the removal of the right thyroid gland in a 13 yr-old cat.
Hyperthyroidism is a common conditon in older cats with the primary clinical signs being weightloss accompanied with increased appetite and hyperactivity. Often it is possible for the vet to palpate the enlarged thyroid gland-also known as a goitre.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/pinklizzy_photo/01092009173.jpg

The surgical site with the cat on his back in a trough, the leads you can see are from the ECG machine. His heart rate and rhythm was monitored throughout. (hyperthyroidism can cause ventricular arrythmias)

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/pinklizzy_photo/01092009172.jpg

Showing the exposed, enlarged thyroid gland. Within the thyroid gland is the parathyroid gland which must be left intact to prevent the development of hypocalcaemia post-operatively.

Mags
15-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Maybe gory for some people but I find that very interesting Liz ....... thanks!:)

pinklizzy
15-09-2009, 09:19 PM
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/pinklizzy_photo/01092009174.jpg

Showing the removed thyroid, the small 'nodule' remaining is the parathyroid gland which was left intact. The surgical site is directly above the larynx :shock:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/pinklizzy_photo/01092009176.jpg

All stitched up! He was kept in on a drip overnight and went home two days later! :D

Moli
15-09-2009, 09:22 PM
I too find it fascinating, amazing how small the wound is....

pinklizzy
15-09-2009, 09:25 PM
yup, a very small wound. The vet used the very fine instruments we usually use for ocular surgery, as it is very close to some major blood vessels and nerves.

Moli
15-09-2009, 09:56 PM
I love watching operstions on the TV as long as it animals, people...no way!

Kim
15-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Very interesting, especially as one of my cats, Sasha has had her thyroid gland removed.

Mags
15-09-2009, 09:58 PM
I love watching operstions on the TV as long as it animals, people...no way!
I love watching all operations, it doesn't make me feel the slightest bit queasy ...... my hubby is the opposite, he just can't look at the TV if there is anything like that on...

Moli
15-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I just do not find hman operations interesting.....My vet has always said when one of mine was in for something I could watch if I wanted to...But always declined....think as it was my own animal would worry to much.

pinklizzy
15-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Glad you liked them! I still find watching surgery interesting. I watched Kindly have a dental a few years ago-I wasn't actually assisting but at one point they lost her pulse :shock: :( It was one of the most awful experiences to see her crash on the table I vowed I would never watch one of my animals under GA again.
When Imogen was spayed I stayed well out of the way, I had to trust my colleagues and it's a lot more stressful to have the owners there!

angieh
15-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Excellent photos PL! so glad puss was OK. Will he/she have to have continuing medication?

pinklizzy
15-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Excellent photos PL! so glad puss was OK. Will he/she have to have continuing medication?

He shouldn't need to Angie, although he will have another blood test in a week or so to check the hormone levels.

Moli
15-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Its quite amazing what theyc an do now, years ago that poor cat would have died....

yola
16-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Most interesting! A very skilled and delicate procedure by the looks of it. I found it especially interesting personally as I had parathyroids removed in the late 90s exactly because of over calcification . . . so even though this was a cat it was fascinating to see what the so-and-sos which nearly did for me look like!!

I'm glad the cat recovered fully. I just hope their owner doesn't decide to join Catsey - they might get a bit of a shock :shock: :shock: :shock:

alexgirl73
16-09-2009, 01:31 PM
fascinating pics PL :D i too love to watch programmes like this on the tv, human, animal doesn't bother me lol.

pinklizzy
16-09-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm glad the cat recovered fully. I just hope their owner doesn't decide to join Catsey - they might get a bit of a shock :shock: :shock: :shock:

I've kept any identifying features, names etc out of the post although maybe I should take them off? :shock:

angieh
16-09-2009, 02:09 PM
I have no idea of the legalities of this PL - I presume that your vet gave permission for the pictures to be taken/shown? If not, perhaps it would be better to remove them. But thanks for showing them anyway - fascinating.

borderdawn
16-09-2009, 02:59 PM
There should be no issues in posting those pictures, and I found them interesting PL, thanks.

pinklizzy
16-09-2009, 04:07 PM
The vet was happy for them to be taken and shown, I think it should be fine as there is no way of identifying the patient.

angieh
16-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Great - I'm glad. No problemo as someone once said!

PoshPuss
16-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Very interesting pics PL, and glad kitty is on the road to recovery. Seen lots of human ops of course but I admit to being more sensitive and squeamish when it comes to animals :shock: They look more fragile,a lot like the special care babies,which I also used to get nervous around,;)

dandysmom
16-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Fascinating, I'm so glad you posted them! I'm not at all squeamish and found this behind-the-scenes of what goes on in the operating theatre really really interesting.

Do you know, I was unaware that a goiter (US spelling) was the thyroid gland? I'd heard the term but never knew exactly what it was....the things we learn here!

calismum
16-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks for that - another non squeamish person here. I love watching surgery programmes etc.