PDA

View Full Version : Kitten Harness Tips!

Darky
11-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Hello!

Not posted in ages, sorry! If you're wondering, Lemon and Enki recovered wonderfully from their illnesses. I then went away for a couple of days (parents looking after the kittens) and when I returned, Lemon was very poorly.
Immediately called the vet and had a word with him, and he arranged for me to be able to pick up their previous prescription the next morning. Now they're both on anti-biotics and eyedrops again and Lemon is as right as rain again, both still on the medication though - course isn't finished yet. ^_^

So! I bought a kitten harness for Lemon, wanting to start harness-training him ASAP as I didn't with Honey and now Honey has come to really dislike his cat harness.

Lemon takes no notice of the harness and loves the chance to wander around the garden every day, he's great when I put it on him and he adapted immediately.

I was wondering when it might be best to start taking him on little walks in places other than the garden? He's only 2-3 months old at the moment and so I'm wary of dogs and other cats, though the lead on the harness is not very long and so I would be keeping him close to me. (I live in a small village so there's places to walk him, but dogs are walked there.)

Would it be best to stick to the garden until he's an adult?

Next summer I'll be looking to move to Milton Keynes and will hopefully be living in a flat in the centre, so Lemon will be around a year old at that time and he will have to be walked in public places - luckily there are many parks and the like in the area where I've never seen dogs off of their leads.

jan
12-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Hya,
personally, so as Lemon is nt to be scared by meeting a large dog I would stick to the garden til he s bigger! Even if you picked him up to protect him you might get scratched up! I agree the younger you start them on the harness though the better they adapt to them, Felix is huge now but harness or not, he is very good in the garden with us. Let us know how you get on! Jan x

dandysmom
12-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Darky, as to walking them in public places, I think it depends a lot on the nature of your cat. My Siamese boy was a nervous spooky cat and never wanted to walk very far from my property; my Aby, Sultan was fearless and would have walked miles away if I'd let him. He faced off dogs and other cats; fortunately we had a strict dog leash law by then. None of my girl cats went too far from the house. I agree that starting them early is best; they just take the harness as a fact of life. Good luck, keep us posted how things are going. Oh, and glad they're both doing well!