PDA

View Full Version : Stray cats or Ferals

kado
11-09-2009, 12:49 AM
I was wondering what i can do to help the strays where i live. My daughter friend has a cat that lives behind her house and had at least one kitten possibly two. I have seen the kitten for myself today and she seems fine but is still outside she seems very sociable as well. The neighbour said they might keep her but havent taken her in she will be about 8-10wks at the most. My worry is that the male is still hanging around the same one that is maiseys babies dad. He is owned but they said they would neuter him but havent. He is the prolific male around here. This is just one problem around here with one set of kittens. What do you think i should do. I can not take anymore on but i feel as a human i would fail this litte one if i dont try to help

pinklizzy
11-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Difficult with 'owned' stray cats, using that term very loosely!
Are you able to contact your local CP branch? We have a client who has an arrangement with both us and the CP to trap and neuter a feral colony living on her land. Maybe they would be able to provide a subsidy to the 'owners' of the male cat to have him neutered and be able to find a good home for the baby?

kado
11-09-2009, 01:16 AM
I know in the village where i live that they have neutered/spayed cats last year through the local cpl. The male cat owners which i do speak too one wants to neuter one doesnt. The male cat in question is a problem in certain places in the villiage. He has kills for the fun of it and has fought a realy old cat as well. He is about 3 and a half and is a bully to certain cats. The owners have 6 other cats inculding his mum and 1 brother and 1 sister and another mum and 2 cats all where strays and are realy looked after. All females are speyed but the males are not. I have had a couple of people ask me about the cat and had to defened another which is the double of him so he wont get hurt. Somebody said if he had a gun he would well i hope you no what i mean. I will probaly speal to the male owners to see there views shortly as its not fair on him and all the stray females around.

jan
12-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Hya (is it Jane?)

You sound a smashing person, this cat sounds a right old bully boy and its not fair on him or other cats in the neighbourhood, be they male or female at the moment. I know its a bit unethical, is there any way you could have words maybe with cats protection or something to get him neutered for free explaining the situ and actually cat nap him for a nyt or two and then release him back on home ground. Job done, owners probably wont care less, he will be fine? Its sneaky I know but I might be tempted to go down that route ! Jan x

kado
12-09-2009, 09:23 PM
The owners do dote on the male. I would have had him but she decided to keep him I saw him when he was only a couple of days old. He does bully the cats in the neighbour hood apart from mine as if they are out the all protect each other. Not quiet sure on what i am going to do yet. Something has too be done otherwise there is going to be more cats.

pcspik
12-09-2009, 11:24 PM
I do not think that the Cats Protection will be able to neuter him. They may be able to offer a voucher which will pay for the cost but ultimately it is still the owner's responsibility. Even if you did "kidnap" him and say that he was a stray, they could only neuter him if after 14 days were up and he went unclaimed. That was assuming they had room - many adoption centres are liable to be full and would put him on a waiting list.

I would contact them and say that you have a feral which you want neutered. Depending on the resources they have, they would either loan you a trap or get someone to trap the cats which are not pregnant/nursing (they cannot neuter a cat until the kittens are at least 8 weeks old) and then later return them to site. That way you are at least helping keep the population down.

I would talk to the owner again - if they cannot neuter him (even with financial assistance) I would see if they would at least not let him out as much. That would lessen both the fights and pregnancies. But unfortunately there is nothing much that can be done if they ignore that advice.

kado
13-09-2009, 01:54 PM
I know if they dont want to do anything there's nothing much that i can do.

dandysmom
13-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Sad but true, Kado. What a shame they won't listen to you and have him neutered .....