PDA

View Full Version : Missing Wolf

SageCat
09-09-2009, 07:06 PM
How on earth was this allowed to happen!!?? This is what the Dangerous Wild Animals Act is in place for. Surely someone must have known this person was keeping a wolf? What's in store for this poor beautiful animal now? :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/foyle_and_west/8246326.stm

catwoman999
09-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Lol....a trained wolf is no more dangerous than a Huskie dog...You are allowed to keep a wolf as a pet in the UK, as long as you apply for a licence!!!!
This news report is from Ireland where they do not allow licences for wolves...:(
This wolf is in more danger from the silly ignorant people...
The call for freedom is strong in wolves and Huskies, thats why they run off at every chance they get, the main reason they make difficult pets to handle...
I hope this wolf is caught safely and given to the wolf man to take care of.

catwoman999
09-09-2009, 07:24 PM
How on earth was this allowed to happen!!?? This is what the Dangerous Wild Animals Act is in place for. Surely someone must have known this person was keeping a wolf? What's in store for this poor beautiful animal now? :(

Wolves and Huskies are very similar looking, and hard to tell apart, so people may have assumed it was a Huskie that this person was keeping...:D

random
10-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Wolves and Huskies are very similar looking, and hard to tell apart, so people may have assumed it was a Huskie that this person was keeping...:D

I'm sorry wolves are very different to Siberian Huskies, in looks, temperament and behaviour. A wolf, even tamed/trained, will always be very unpredictable, a Husky is a domesticated animal, a wolf is not.

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm sorry wolves are very different to Siberian Huskies, in looks, temperament and behaviour. A wolf, even tamed/trained, will always be very unpredictable, a Husky is a domesticated animal, a wolf is not.

WRONG!!!!!! My sister has two 'SIBERIAN HUSKIES' that she has shown at crufts and are well trained. Her male friend has wolves, and when they are out walking them together, to a lay person like me (not a dog person) theY are very hard to tell apart!!!!
And FYI, Huskies no matter how well trained retain that call of the wild that wolves have, and THEY will run for freedom every now and again, and also remain unpredictable...
In fact Huskies will never be a fully domesticated animal ;)
The public are at no more danger from a domesticated wolf than they are a huskie dog lol...
I will call me sister for more info, and post later :p
Again, like the RSPCA thread, misinformation is a dangerous thing RANDOM....

random
10-09-2009, 04:24 PM
WRONG!!!!!! My sister has two 'SIBERIAN HUSKIES' that she has shown at crufts and are well trained. Her male friend has wolves, and when they are out walking them together, to a lay person like me (not a dog person) theY are very hard to tell apart!!!!
And FYI, Huskies no matter how well trained retain that call of the wild that wolves have, and THEY will run for freedom every now and again, and also remain unpredictable...
The public are at no more danger from a domesticated wolf than they are a huskie dog lol...

Oh there is no need to get arsey really is there, I know a LOT of huskies and a LOT of husky owners and Mal owners and many of the other northern breeds. Also, if you know of someone keeping wolves well anyone in those breeds of dogs knows what kind of circles they go about in but I won't be getting into the NI/BI/Ute/Czech/Sarloos debate on here. Wolves are wild animals, Huskies are domesticated. Yes they do still run because that is their instinct, it's what they are bred for, the same as any other breed of dog, a hound will sniff, a gundog will hunt, a collie will herd, a springer will flush, e.t.c, e.t.c. There are lots of breeds who will run, Shiba inu's, Mals, even some breeds of hound. So no, I am not misinformed, rather you are if you cannot tell a Siberian Husky from a wolf. Anyone who keeps a wolf as a pet is looking for trouble, a Sibe is a perfectly acceptable pet given the right owner, same as any breed.

I don't profess to be an expert by any means, but I do know my dogs. ;)

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Oh there is no need to get arsey really is there, I know a LOT of huskies and a LOT of husky owners and Mal owners and many of the other northern breeds. Also, if you know of someone keeping wolves well anyone in those breeds of dogs knows what kind of circles they go about in but I won't be getting into the NI/BI/Ute/Czech/Sarloos debate on here. Wolves are wild animals, Huskies are domesticated. Yes they do still run because that is their instinct, it's what they are bred for, the same as any other breed of dog, a hound will sniff, a gundog will hunt, a collie will herd, a springer will flush, e.t.c, e.t.c. There are lots of breeds who will run, Shiba inu's, Mals, even some breeds of hound. So no, I am not misinformed, rather you are if you cannot tell a Siberian Husky from a wolf. Anyone who keeps a wolf as a pet is looking for trouble, a Sibe is a perfectly acceptable pet given the right owner, same as any breed.

I don't profess to be an expert by any means, but I do know my dogs. ;)

I was not being the rude name you called me :(
As i explained I am not a dog person! And to me a wolf is very similar in looks to a huskie. So other people could easily not make the distinction of the two. And my sisters male friend has a licence to keep his 4 wolves. He has a free holding and thats where he keeps them. Not in a built up area!!!
And he does not breed from them either. So does not run in the circles, you are accusing him of :p
Lol, I just tell it like it is. Some people don't like that!
I am soooo sorry if I am not a closed minded person, and can see both sides to a story.
People saying a lone domesticated wolf is danger, could get the beautiful creature shot/killed :mad:

random
10-09-2009, 04:45 PM
I was not being the rude name you called me :(
As i explained I am not a dog person! And to me a wolf is very similar in looks to a huskie. So other people could easily not make the distinction of the two. And my sisters male friend has a licence to keep his 4 wolves. He has a free holding and thats where he keeps them. Not in a built up area!!!
And he does not breed from them either. So does not run in the circles, you are accusing him of :p
Lol, I just tell it like it is. Some people don't like that!
I am soooo sorry if I am not a closed minded person, and can see both sides to a story.
People saying a lone domesticated wolf is danger, could get the beautiful creature shot/killed :mad:

I didn't say he bred them but why anyone would want to keep a wolf as a pet is beyond me and such people tend to stick together.

I'm sorry I can't agree with you, a wolf is a wolf, no matter how well trained it is still unpredictable and cannot be trusted. A husky is a dog and if well trained and does get loose, it's likely to be caught without hurting anyone. Of course the wolf may not hurt anyone either but it is a wild animal and is on par with bringing up a tiger or lion from a cub. It's not a good idea.

If the wolf is shot it is the sole fault of said owner and a prime example why they should never be kept as pets! Very sad of course but that's what happens when people do silly things like this!

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 04:52 PM
I didn't say he bred them but why anyone would want to keep a wolf as a pet is beyond me and such people tend to stick together.

I'm sorry I can't agree with you, a wolf is a wolf, no matter how well trained it is still unpredictable and cannot be trusted. A husky is a dog and if well trained and does get loose, it's likely to be caught without hurting anyone. Of course the wolf may not hurt anyone either but it is a wild animal and is on par with bringing up a tiger or lion from a cub. It's not a good idea.

If the wolf is shot it is the sole fault of said owner and a prime example why they should never be kept as pets! Very sad of course but that's what happens when people do silly things like this!

I agree, I asked him why? Why didn't he just have Huskies like my sis....
But he loves wolves... (big difference than keeping a lion pmsl)...
And the authorities know he has them (they are allowed in the UK with a special licence).
I understand where you are coming from, there are soooo many other lovely breeds of dogs he could have had!
You have siamese cats (my mum had one, gorgeous lilac point) you must like that breed... My sisters friend prefers wolves cos he likes that animal. He lives in the country, I doubt he would have got the licence if he lived in town/city.

dandysmom
10-09-2009, 04:57 PM
My former neighbor, Dr. Michael Fox, the vet, had a tame wolf that he had rescued as the only surviving cub from the litter of a deceased mother. He was allowed to do this because of his professional qualifications; I'm uncertain about the laws here about keeping them but think it's not permitted generally. Anyhow, the point of this is, that as a definite non-dog person, the first time I met him out walking with the (then adult) wolf, Tiny, I thought she was a dog. She was extremely friendly. Shortly after, he moved away so don't know what happened to her.

random
10-09-2009, 04:58 PM
They are not a breed of dog they are a wild animal! I don't own clouded leopards or servals although I love them, I never would want to! That is the comparison!

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 05:06 PM
My former neighbor, Dr. Michael Fox, the vet, had a tame wolf that he had rescued as the only surviving cub from the litter of a deceased mother. He was allowed to do this because of his professional qualifications; I'm uncertain about the laws here about keeping them but think it's not permitted generally. Anyhow, the point of this is, that as a definite non-dog person, the first time I met him out walking with the (then adult) wolf, Tiny, I thought she was a dog. She was extremely friendly. Shortly after, he moved away so don't know what happened to her.

Thank you...the voice of reason x

EmmaG
10-09-2009, 06:52 PM

That is certainly a sweeping statement Kel. A lot of non domesticed animals make perfectly good pets/companions, just because they haven't been domesticated. A don't see a wolf as being any different to a dog, if it is brought up with humans around them and with the handling of a good owner.

And the commnet "such people tend to stick together" does appear to be very childish.

random
10-09-2009, 07:30 PM
That is certainly a sweeping statement Kel. A lot of non domesticed animals make perfectly good pets/companions, just because they haven't been domesticated. A don't see a wolf as being any different to a dog, if it is brought up with humans around them and with the handling of a good owner.

And the commnet "such people tend to stick together" does appear to be very childish.

It's a fact, they do! I never said they ALL stick together. But there is a whole chain of clubs with wolf/dogs e.t.c, that is their prerogative and i'm not bothered either way, but they do tend to stick together!

And if you want to keep a wolf as pet that's your choice, i'm just saying, they are wild animals and a) it's not really fair on a wild animal and b) they can never be 100% trustworthy, I don't think any animal can be, domesticated or not, let alone a wild one.

That's my opinion sorry of you don't like it! Pop over an Dogsey and ask and i'm not sure you'd get many at all who'd keep a wolf as a pet (if any) and they are pretty dog savvy over there. ;)

EmmaG
10-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Kel, I didn't say I WOULD keep a Wolf as a pet (I am sure the majority of the UK wouldn't WANT to - and some of them might be members of Dogsey - (don't understand your reasoning there), but I can see that with the correctly handling/environment then a Wolf is no different to a Dog.

Perhaps I am missing something - but you haven't convinced me otherwise, but I am open to suggestions/reasoning.

random
10-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Because a dog has been domesticated over thousands of years, from wolves, wolves are just wolves, they are not domesticated. It's the same as taking ANY wild animal and taming it, it will be tame, but it will never be domesticated. Feral cats are hard enough and they come from domestic animals. I had a part feral cat, our tabs, and although she was lovely pet she was never like my other cats.

Dogs are very very diluted compared to a wolf. A wolf can be tamed and trained, but it will always be wild and it's instincts will always be so very much stronger than that of a pet dog's and those instincts are hunt and kill.

I mentioned Dogsey because a lot of them over there are very knowledgeable on dogs and behaviour and would probably be able to explain things better than me on my own.

Owning a wolf imo is comparable to owning any kind of wild cat. People own wild cats all over the world, especially the smaller cats such as servals. Would you own a serval?

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 07:46 PM
ALL dog breeds are decendants of the wolf. I am sure all the DOGSEY people know that....;)
In Britain you are allowed a special licence for a Wolf, but you are NEVER permitted to keep pit bull types!!!! So some dogs are considered more dangerous than a wolf. Case closed, me thinks :D
And you don't have to be a dog owner to know the score!

EmmaG
10-09-2009, 07:56 PM
In Britain you are allowed a special licence for a Wolf, but you are NEVER permitted to keep pit bull types!!!! So some dogs are considered more dangerous than a wolf. Case closed, me thinks :D
And you don't have to be a dog owner to know the score!

Enough said I think :-D

random
10-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Oh I give up, honestly.

yes they are DESCENDANTS of the wolf, but they are NOT wolves!

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Random not once did I say I would have a wolf as a pet, and neither did anyone else on Catsey. And it was in the looks department that I said they were very similar. And I realise a wolf would need alot more training, but it can be done... So why did you post THIS on Dogsey pmsl....

Ok basically over on Catsey a couple of people are of the thinking that a wolf as a pet is no different from having a dog as a pet and clearly I can't say anything to make and sense to them so i'm calling for back up.

So basically, would you own a wolf as a pet and why? Or why not? And do you think that having a pet dog is the same as taming a wild wolf from a cub.

Again childish lol... :lol:

EmmaG
10-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Oh dear.......

Luke
10-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Wolf and dog behaviour totally different, their personalitys totally different, they are totally different. It's why all the wolf hybrid fad went so drastically wrong, the waryness and "wild streak" of the wolf combined with the confident of the dog-BAD mix, proved many times over. Would stand to reason it'd be similar with a domesticated wolf as it would have its natural traits yet domestic confidence. Bad idea in many eyes.

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Oh dear.......

She is getting back-up, we better DUCK
I have never been on Dogsey until she mentioned it, but know her type, and suspected she would be sniveling about this over there. And yip I was right! :shock:

random
10-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I actually just came over to post the link for you guys to have a look at, not childish really just getting some other people's views as you seem very naive on this despite me trying to explain why a wolf is different from a dog, how is that childish? It's not a secret. It's just a discussion as this is a doggy subject and this forum is predominantly cat people, jeez...

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=112618

Mags
10-09-2009, 10:08 PM
I have never been on Dogsey until she mentioned it, but know her type, and suspected she would be sniveling about this over there. And yip I was right! :shock:
Please keep personal comments off the forum..

Moli
10-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Because a dog has been domesticated over thousands of years, from wolves, wolves are just wolves, they are not domesticated. It's the same as taking ANY wild animal and taming it, it will be tame, but it will never be domesticated. Feral cats are hard enough and they come from domestic animals. I had a part feral cat, our tabs, and although she was lovely pet she was never like my other cats.

Dogs are very very diluted compared to a wolf. A wolf can be tamed and trained, but it will always be wild and it's instincts will always be so very much stronger than that of a pet dog's and those instincts are hunt and kill.

I mentioned Dogsey because a lot of them over there are very knowledgeable on dogs and behaviour and would probably be able to explain things better than me on my own.

Owning a wolf imo is comparable to owning any kind of wild cat. People own wild cats all over the world, especially the smaller cats such as servals. Would you own a serval?
Have to say I agree wholeheartedly with you Random...:)

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 10:11 PM
This is a bad example...

As they are cat people, why don't you ask them if they would have a tiger as a pet? Apart from a bigger litter tray surely if a wolf is no different to a dog a tiger is no different to a cat?

There is not a HUGE physical difference in a wolf and huskie...
But a huge difference in a wee lovely moggie and a tiger :shock: Poor arguement SORRY!!!!!

And you only posted link, cos I caught ya first lol....

random
10-09-2009, 10:12 PM

You know my type? You don't know me at all, if you did you'd know that all I do on these forums is try and help people, I have been a member of both forums for a number of years and I know the people on Dosgey may be able to explain the subject better to you as clearly think I am full of crap and I didn't want you sounding ridiculous professing you know all about wolves and huskies when it's clear you know very little as you can't even tell them apart. Sorry for trying to help you understand, I really am.

random
10-09-2009, 10:13 PM
This is a bad example...

As they are cat people, why don't you ask them if they would have a tiger as a pet? Apart from a bigger litter tray surely if a wolf is no different to a dog a tiger is no different to a cat?

But a huge difference in a wee lovely moggie and a tiger :shock: Poor arguement SORRY!!!!!

The only reason I asked was to show you what they said, that discussion has been done time and time again over the years, if you do a quick search you can see for yourself DUH!

alexgirl73
10-09-2009, 10:13 PM
whoa folks! Getting very personal here!!!

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Please keep personal comments off the forum..

Ok, respect.
I probably shouldn't have used the word snivelling...
She got personal with me today...

random
10-09-2009, 10:17 PM
This is a bad example...

Ok then if you want to be picky, wolf vs husky (that's how it's spelt) bengal cat vs serval or Asian leopard cat, only difference between a lion or tiger as a pet is the size, so not that poor an argument, they are just as wild as wolves are!

EmmaG
10-09-2009, 10:24 PM
A lot of non domesticed animals make perfectly good pets/companions, just because they haven't been domesticated. A don't see a wolf as being any different to a dog, if it is brought up with humans around them and with the handling of a good owner.

Now see Kel this is what I posted. Did I ever say that every tom dick or harry should go and get a Wolf instead of a dog? I said with the correct environment/handling they would make good pets/companions. Perhaps the correct enviromnent/handling might be very few and far between as all wild animals who are pets need the right owner, who understands them and their needs.

I could list a lot of people who have kept wild animals in the past as pets (Tigers, Lions, Lynx, Wolves etc etc) and they would agree that the animals make good companions perhaps even more rewarding than dogs/cats/rabbits.

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Not once did I say that EVERYBODY should consider a wolf as a pet either. I am baffled???
I am sure I said the town/city would not be suitable.....
I am also of the thinking that wild animals should in general not be kept as pets. But sometimes the need arises! ie.rescue cases that cannot for whatever reason be returned to wild....
And when it does people should live and let live. :-D
Please... my spelling is great. One mistake lol
Guess I am not a perfect as you thought I was!

EmmaG
10-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Ok then if you want to be picky, wolf vs husky (that's how it's spelt) Bengal cat vs serval or Asian leopard cat, only difference between a lion or tiger as a pet is the size, so not that poor an argument, they are just as wild as wolves are!

Well actually Serval (reportedly) make excellent pets - they have been Pets as far back as Egyptian times - or were you referring to the Bengal cat as being more difficult to have as a pet??

from Wapedia - the Serval

As with the Cheetah, most Servals are friendly, good-natured, easily tamed, and make loving pets (http://wapedia.mobi/en/Pets).
Servals have historically been kept as pets in Africa. The Ancient Egyptians (http://wapedia.mobi/en/Ancient_Egyptians) worshipped the Serval as gods, and kept them as pets. More recently, they have been kept as pets in North America and Europe. Servals develop an intense emotional bond to their original owners. Often, they will choose one member of the human family they live with to form an especially close and intense bond. However, once they have bonded with a particular human family, Servals do not easily accept new owners or surroundings, and they may become quite unhappy if separated or placed with other families. For this reason, anyone taking in a Serval must be willing to house and keep the Serval for its entire life. In the United States, owning a Serval requires special licensing from local, State, and Federal agencies. Having a Serval as a member of the family requires both commitment and planning. For those who do proceed down this path, the Serval makes an excellent, loving, and stunning pet.

random
10-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Now see Kel this is what I posted. Did I ever say that every tom dick or harry should go and get a Wolf instead of a dog? I said with the correct environment/handling they would make good pets/companions. Perhaps the correct enviromnent/handling might be very few and far between as all wild animals who are pets need the right owner, who understands them and their needs.

I could list a lot of people who have kept wild animals in the past as pets (Tigers, Lions, Lynx, Wolves etc etc) and they would agree that the animals make good companions perhaps even more rewarding than dogs/cats/rabbits.

I agree Emma, maybe for the owner it is but there is always a risk involved in owning a wild animal and the subject for this thread is one of those risks, as are animals turning on their owners, other people, other animals e.t.c. And secondly, JMO but I don't think that a domesticated life is fair on a wild animal, might be rewarding for the person but a wild animal belongs in the wild.

As I said before. JMO. I'm just surprised and disappointed that some people think it's ok to keep wild animals as pets, unless for some reason they cannot be released into the wild, in which case they should live as wild a life as possible. I don't agree with animals in zoos either except for preservation when they are threatened by extinction but even then, a zoo is different from keeping a wolf as a pet in your house, which people do.

No it's not Gospel it's JMO as I have said over and over. I don't mind a debate but I am not a nasty person and when people start getting nasty that is the end for me so i'll bow out now as the only reason I have posted what I have was to try and help people realise the difference as it is people who don't realise who do things like this (the subject in the OP) because people can't leave wild animals where they belong - in the wild. Clearly there are people who think its ok to have wild animals as pets (if they would personally have one or not, not saying you would personally that's up to you) and those who can't even see a difference between a wild and domestic animal, and as I said, that is up to the individual, not me. So if this is what I get for trying to help you understand the difference between a wolf and a domestic dog, i'm out as I posted to help and i'm really not here to fight. I think most members here know that of me. :(

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Ok then if you want to be picky, wolf vs husky (that's how it's spelt) bengal cat vs serval or Asian leopard cat, only difference between a lion or tiger as a pet is the size, so not that poor an argument, they are just as wild as wolves are!

I think I would rather come face to face with a wolf rather than a tiger, if I found myself in the wild with them....
A lone wolf 'generally' doesn't attack unless cornered (shy creatures) but it would if it had its pack (even then its not common).... But then again, they are far more scared of us humans and quite rightly so!

EmmaG
10-09-2009, 10:57 PM
I said they might make good pets for the right owner I did not say that I thought that Wild animals should be kept out of their natural environment, but Kel ALL domesticated animals were once breed from Wild animals - the chain started somewhere didn't it?

I would rather see all animals in a natural environment but that is not the world we live in, us humans (and that is all of us) have destroyed the natural habitat for a lot of wild animals. We live in houses where there was once fields/woods/forests, we drive on roads that where once fields/woods/forests etc. Their environment is diminishing because of our actions, I do not think badly of somebody who would give a good home to any animal.

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 10:57 PM
I have not got nasty Random...
Facts wrong again!
You were very personal to me earlier on in the day, but I choose to ignore it. I am a grown up and don't need to run to other people... :-D
You don't even realise that I am agreeing with you on some things, but you choose to argue... As I said it is LEGAL to keep wolves with special licence and special training/owners. You didn't even ask how my sisters friend got his wolves (rescue/not bred) and licence. You just wanted an arguement :(

borderdawn
10-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Oh my word what planet do you live on?

If you think a Wolf looks like a Husky, then a trip to specsavers in in line and if you think they look like them god help you if you think they act like them!

Thank god Random is here, she is about the only one with enough sense and EXPERIENCE of said threads to cast a genuine eye over this, for petes sake Catwoman, you really have no idea do you?

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 11:03 PM
I would rather see all animals in a natural environment but that is not the world we live in, us humans (and that is all of us) have destroyed the natural habitat for a lot of wild animals. We live in houses where there was once fields/woods/forests, we drive on roads that where once fields/woods/forests etc. Their environment is diminishing because of our actions, I do not think badly of somebody who would give a good home to any animal.

Fantastic point!

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Oh my word what planet do you live on?

If you think a Wolf looks like a Husky, then a trip to specsavers in in line and if you think they look like them god help you if you think they act like them!

Thank god Random is here, she is about the only one with enough sense and EXPERIENCE of said threads to cast a genuine eye over this, for petes sake Catwoman, you really have no idea do you?

Lol, I respect you Borderdawn...

The wolves I have seen are very like my sisters Huskies! (Gosh better watch my spelling).
The only difference I could see was wolves are slighlty bigger! (Physically)
Behaviour is a totally different subject...
I have an open mind, can I ask have you read ALL the thread?

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Oh my word what planet do you live on.

Just because I haven't been on Catsey long, does not mean I know nothing :-D
I could really take offense to this post of yours, but I will turn the other cheek... l
I have spent years in animal welfare,vet nursing etc. Yes, I only have cats as pets (not an animal collector), but have experience with dogs through work and family...

borderdawn
10-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Lol, I respect you Borderdawn...

The wolves I have seen are very like my sisters Huskies! (Gosh better watch my spelling).
The only difference I could see was wolves are slighlty bigger! (Physically)
Behaviour is a totally different subject...
I have an open mind, can I ask have you read ALL the thread?
Oh yes I certainly have. Let me tell you just two of the things that happened when Wolfdogs (low wolf content) came into the UK. One was so terrified, just like a Wolf, it escaped and gave birth to pups in a hole in the middle of knowhere, fortunately close enough to be kept an eye on, it was weeks before she was even seen! Another reverted to Wolf and became aggressive, you see thats what happens when you cross with DOMESTIC breeds, the Wolf aggression surfaces but unlike in the wild its directed at humans, this dog had to be SHOT, yes SHOT it was so dangerous, still think that are all fine?

Wolves are wild animals not pets, people live in cuckoo land and quite honestly must have little respect for these animals if they want to "tame" them, its quite distasteful to me. How cool is it? Would you feel the same if I said I had a Leopard in my house, but he's a pussycat? You'd think I was NUTS!! This "fad" will end in tears, it has already with such a small number being present here, as I said not wishing to be rude, but you really have no idea if you think Wolf is like Dog! Everything Wolf was removed to make Dog, of course some characteristics will remain, but I fear for people who think they have something "cool" just like with Pit Bulls, it will go tits up!

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Good night, think I should leave it there.
I just hope this domesticated wolf on the loose in Ireland is not shot/pts through peoples ignorance. Which was my main point on this thread!!! :(

kado
10-09-2009, 11:22 PM
All i will say on the subject is that any animal wether cat, dog husky or wold can be dangerous unless it is handled correctly. But what ever the animal is you can never prodict how they are always going to behave. This is not a dig but i cant spell tonight i am still shook up.

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Oh yes I certainly have. Let me tell you just two of the things that happened when Wolfdogs (low wolf content) came into the UK. One was so terrified, just like a Wolf, it escaped and gave birth to pups in a hole in the middle of knowhere, fortunately close enough to be kept an eye on, it was weeks before she was even seen! Another reverted to Wolf and became aggressive, you see thats what happens when you cross with DOMESTIC breeds, the Wolf aggression surfaces but unlike in the wild its directed at humans, this dog had to be SHOT, yes SHOT it was so dangerous, still think that are all fine?

Wolves are wild animals not pets, people live in cuckoo land and quite honestly must have little respect for these animals if they want to "tame" them, its quite distasteful to me. How cool is it? Would you feel the same if I said I had a Leopard in my house, but he's a pussycat? You'd think I was NUTS!! This "fad" will end in tears, it has already with such a small number being present here, as I said not wishing to be rude, but you really have no idea if you think Wolf is like Dog! Everything Wolf was removed to make Dog, of course some characteristics will remain, but I fear for people who think they have something "cool" just like with Pit Bulls, it will go tits up!

I have never mentioned that crossing dog/wolf is a good idea, and do not support that action AT ALL !!!!!:shock:
I THINK YOU HAVE GONE OFF AT A TANGENT HERE!!!!
And I don't think Joe public should have wolves as pets.
My mind boggles, trying to put words in my mouth just like Random did.....

borderdawn
10-09-2009, 11:34 PM
I have never mentioned that crossing dog/wolf is a good idea, and do not support that action AT ALL !!!!!:shock:
I THINK YOU HAVE GONE OFF AT A TANGENT HERE!!!!
And I don't think Joe public should have wolves as pets.
My mind boggles, trying to put words in my mouth just like Random did.....
Ahhh I gotcha, you can have a full wolf as a pet but not one crossed with a PET dog! :roll: :-D Thats ace!!!!!:-D :-D :-D

borderdawn
10-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Good night, think I should leave it there.
I just hope this domesticated wolf on the loose in Ireland is not shot/pts through peoples ignorance. Which was my main point on this thread!!! :(
Yep, domesticated did you say, well trained? did I hear it had escaped? Not too "domestic" is it?;) :D

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Ahhh I gotcha, you can have a full wolf as a pet but not one crossed with a PET dog! :roll: :-D Thats ace!!!!!:-D :-D :-D

Nope, wrong again Borderdawn.
I think I said "Joe public should not have wolves as pets". No mention of crosses lol.
Not like you Dawn you are usually far more accurate.
I DID respect you alot :(

borderdawn
10-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Just because I haven't been on Catsey long, does not mean I know nothing :-D
I could really take offense to this post of yours, but I will turn the other cheek... l
I have spent years in animal welfare,vet nursing etc. Yes, I only have cats as pets (not an animal collector), but have experience with dogs through work and family...
Didnt say you knew nothing, but you do seem ignorant to the OBVIOUS dangers here. We all have experience of DOMESTIC animals on here, Ive managed a kennels and cattery for 17yrs, but even so, and boarding wolfy "types" I wouldnt suggest that a Wolf is no more dangerous than a Husky, in fact our mnost dangerous dog ever boarded WAS a Husky!;)

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Yep, domesticated did you say, well trained? did I hear it had escaped? Not too "domestic" is it?;) :D

Huskies escape from time to time (cos they have that call of the wild, bred to run) does that mean they are not domesticated? They should be shot? Think not :mad:

catwoman999
10-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Didnt say you knew nothing, but you do seem ignorant to the OBVIOUS dangers here. We all have experience of DOMESTIC animals on here, Ive managed a kennels and cattery for 17yrs, but even so, and boarding wolfy "types" I wouldnt suggest that a Wolf is no more dangerous than a Husky, in fact our mnost dangerous dog ever boarded WAS a Husky!;)

I agree.... I didn't say ALL wolves are not dangerous. Not once did I say that.... ALL dogs are dangerous if they have irresponsible owners and little training... Oh, I know and sure I said on this thread Huskies are deffo not a pet for the lazy owner (not in those words). Very high maintenance!!!! :cool:
Again I could take issue with your wording here. I am not ignorant at all, just arguing the case that things are not balck and white. And sometimes there will be a need for wolves to be kept not in the wild!!!! I am not at all wanting it to become a "fad" as you said.

pinklizzy
10-09-2009, 11:51 PM
This thread is crazy! :roll:

borderdawn
10-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Nope, wrong again Borderdawn.
I think I said "Joe public should not have wolves as pets". No mention of crosses lol.
Not like you Dawn you are usually far more accurate.
I DID respect you alot :(
Acurate? Im spot on here, I read your posts ;) A wee rundown:

Wolves and Huskies are very similar looking, and hard to tell apart, so people may have assumed it was a Huskie that this person was keeping...
Thats wrong, anyone who has an inkling of dogs would know the difference immediately.

Now Id LOVE to see the pics, how about we play a game? You post the pics and we guess which is the dog and which is the Wolf? :-D

As i explained I am not a dog person but then you said:

but have experience with dogs through work and family...
Im confused, you do or you dont?:?

The call for freedom is strong in wolves and Huskies, thats why they run off at every chance they get, the main reason they make difficult pets to handle...
Too much TV, the Wolf may "call for freedom" but thats because its where he should be, FREE!

In Britain you are allowed a special licence for a Wolf, but you are NEVER permitted to keep pit bull types!!!! So some dogs are considered more dangerous than a wolf. Case closed, me thinks
Would that be a special WILD animal lisence, or a PET lisence?;)

But a huge difference in a wee lovely moggie and a tiger :shock: Poor arguement SORRY!!!!!Oh, what about the Asian Leopard Cat, The Oncilla, the Fishing Cat etc.... no big difference with the size there is there, of course Bengal Cats having been crossed with the Asian leopard Cat are among the highest in rescue, most with behaviour issues associated with their breeding and being unsuited as pets, ever thought of that and why that may be?

So thats why I am so sure you are not clued up on your arguments, nor on the whole understanding of some of your statements, they read very badly to me Im afraid. No disrespect or offence intended, but if you read the excerpts you will see what I mean.

borderdawn
10-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Huskies escape from time to time (cos they have that call of the wild, bred to run) does that mean they are not domesticated? They should be shot? Think not :mad:
ANY dog will escape, however the Husky runs because thats what it was designed to do, let an Afghan loose you would never see most again, Wolf like? Not really when you think about it, wouldnt confuse an Afghan with a Wolf!!

catwoman999
11-09-2009, 12:05 AM
Acurate? Im spot on here, I read your posts ;) A wee rundown:

Thats wrong, anyone who has an inkling of dogs would know the difference immediately.

I am not the only one who thinks they look similar particlarly the working Husky...
Now Id LOVE to see the pics, how about we play a game? You post the pics and we guess which is the dog and which is the Wolf? :-D

but then you said:
Im confused, you do or you dont?:?

I am not a dog owner, I am a cat owner thus a cat person not a dog person :D Simple really! But have had experience with dogs in vet surgery and family own dogs, Huskies my sister and staffies my aunt.
Too much TV, the Wolf may "call for freedom" but thats because its where he should be, FREE!

Stupid, doesn't deserve an answer...
Would that be a special WILD animal lisence, or a PET lisence?;)

Haven't a clue lol. Shot me for not knowing... But a licence they can get indeed.
Oh, what about the Asian Leopard Cat, The Oncilla, the Fishing Cat etc.... no big difference with the size there is there, of course Bengal Cats having been crossed with the Asian leopard Cat are among the highest in rescue, most with behaviour issues associated with their breeding and being unsuited as pets, ever thought of that and why that may be?

Again, I said wild animals should not be kept as pets. Unless there is a good reason they are not in the wild.

So thats why I am so sure you are not clued up on your arguments, nor on the whole understanding of some of your statements, they read very badly to me Im afraid. No disrespect or offence intended, but if you read the excerpts you will see what I mean.

I do not read bad!!! :mad: See my answers above in red...
You are just nit picking and taking things out of context, to try and win an argument lol
But then you are the only one allowed to be knowledgable Borderdawn eh??? So sorry for an having opinion :cool:
Maybe I have to be a member for 2 years on Catsey before I can advise or have an opinion!!! I will keep away from dog, sorry wolf threads in future, cos I am not worthy....Random pulled you over here from other forum to get my head on a stick.
You have been so rude and insulting to me. ALSO DEEPLY PERSONAL FROM YOUR VERY FIRST POSTING ON THIS THREAD TOWARDS ME. But I realise YOU get away with that cos you are time served...
I can be a bit too straight forward sometimes in my posts... But wow, do I look like a pussy cat....
I realise I shouldn't have debated for soooo long, but really felt I was backed into a corner to defend myself.
I was ready to leave the thread, when you called me out...

kado
11-09-2009, 12:12 AM
I dont want too upset anyone but i have asked for the thread to be closed. If a guest looking for advice see's this argument they will not join. I know everbody has the right to an oppion but enough is enough.

Please close this thread. Where adults and we need to act like it. Sorry if i offend anyone

borderdawn
11-09-2009, 09:50 AM
I dont want too upset anyone but i have asked for the thread to be closed. If a guest looking for advice see's this argument they will not join. I know everbody has the right to an oppion but enough is enough.

Please close this thread. Where adults and we need to act like it. Sorry if i offend anyone
There are several "threads" that should be closed IMO Kado!:roll:

borderdawn
11-09-2009, 09:55 AM
I do not read bad!!! :mad: See my answers above in red...
You are just nit picking and taking things out of context, to try and win an argument lol
But then you are the only one allowed to be knowledgable Borderdawn eh??? So sorry for an having opinion :cool:
Maybe I have to be a member for 2 years on Catsey before I can advise or have an opinion!!! I will keep away from dog, sorry wolf threads in future, cos I am not worthy....Random pulled you over here from other forum to get my head on a stick.
You have been so rude and insulting to me. ALSO DEEPLY PERSONAL FROM YOUR VERY FIRST POSTING ON THIS THREAD TOWARDS ME. But I realise YOU get away with that cos you are time served...
I can be a bit too straight forward sometimes in my posts... But wow, do I look like a pussy cat....
I realise I shouldn't have debated for soooo long, but really felt I was backed into a corner to defend myself.
I was ready to leave the thread, when you called me out...
If you think Random told me about the thread you ar WRONG, I watched it develop and watched a member of Dogsey be called names when she was the ONLY one that really knew anything having been part of wolf/wolfdog discussions on Dogsey for years, then I stepped in when obvious ignorance was taking over!

Now before I believe anything else you say Catwoman, answer me this, on another pet forum on which you are BANNED, you state one time you are a veterinary nurse, but then later, elsewhere you state you "dropped out" of training, which is it? One of my pet hates is lying, and Im struggling with you. Please accept my apologies if I am wrong and I have the wrong person, but Im fairly sure i dont.

kado
11-09-2009, 10:00 AM
i agree with you borderdawn sometimes threads on her do get out of hand.

catwoman999
11-09-2009, 04:36 PM
If you think Random told me about the thread you ar WRONG, I watched it develop and watched a member of Dogsey be called names when she was the ONLY one that really knew anything having been part of wolf/wolfdog discussions on Dogsey for years, then I stepped in when obvious ignorance was taking over!

Now before I believe anything else you say Catwoman, answer me this, on another pet forum on which you are BANNED, you state one time you are a veterinary nurse, but then later, elsewhere you state you "dropped out" of training, which is it? One of my pet hates is lying, and Im struggling with you. Please accept my apologies if I am wrong and I have the wrong person, but Im fairly sure i dont.

Not that I have to justify myself to YOU :shock:
But yes indeed I have trained as a vet nurse, but dropped out in my final year. The key being I TRAINED not QUALIFIED. A couple of others on here that I speak to on pm KNOW this. I have never lied....
Really, I should not have to give you my life story to you or anyone else.
I decided it wasn't the career for me :D Doesn't take away the knowledge have have learnt in the two years, and fail to see why my VN training has anything to do with a wolf thread...
I like to keep my private life off forums as much as possible.
I like to talk ANIMALS....:-D
And again you are getting personal, what is your problem????
I no longer wish to communicate with you on this thread, as this feels like a witch hunt!
I am not a LIAR :mad: (I believe thats you being very personal and name calling).

catwoman999
11-09-2009, 04:38 PM
i agree with you borderdawn sometimes threads on her do get out of hand.

Oh really! ;)
News to me... Except of course yesterday, two threads got heated...

borderdawn
11-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Not that I have to justify myself to YOU :shock:
But yes indeed I have trained as a vet nurse, but dropped out in my final year. The key being I TRAINED not QUALIFIED. A couple of others on here that I speak to on pm KNOW this. I have never lied....
Really, I should not have to give you my life story to you or anyone else.
I decided it wasn't the career for me :D Doesn't take away the knowledge have have learnt in the two years, and fail to see why my VN training has anything to do with a wolf thread...
I like to keep my private life off forums as much as possible.
I like to talk ANIMALS....:-D
And again you are getting personal, what is your problem????
I no longer wish to communicate with you on this thread, as this feels like a witch hunt!
I am not a LIAR :mad: (I believe thats you being very personal and name calling).

Mmmm, perhaps you can explain this statement then:

You can see why I'm not a full-time Vet nurse anymore
Do you think its fair to say that statement by you implies you were a qualified vet nurse? If so, would it be fair to say that having wrote:

I did my first year Vet Nursing years ago, but dropped out of my second year.
That you were lying about being a qualified Vet nurse? Your statement reads you did one of two years training, you have no qualifications at all. People can train all their lives but if they have nothing at the end of it, they cannot claim to be something they are not.

Do you realise what harm and how potentially dangerous it could be for you to dish out advice on certain things if people believe you are a QUALIFIED vet nurse, when you are in fact not? People, particularly those needing help will listen to those they "think" have qualifications in this area, especially if they think it may save them a few quid at the Vets, it could lead to serious issues for their pets IMO.

Im not meaning to be harsh nor want an argument, but serious concequences could arise if you tell lies about what you do and what you are "qualified" to do.

dandysmom
11-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Ladies......

This thread has gotten way off topic and getting a bit out of hand IMO. Let's cool it, please.

kado
11-09-2009, 08:57 PM
There as been more threads than just yesterday.

borderdawn
11-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Ladies......

This thread has gotten way off topic and getting a bit out of hand IMO. Let's cool it, please.
Hi Eileen, with respect I think its very dangerous to claim you are a qualified professional when you are in fact not. Likewise to imply that a Wolf is the same as a dog, then called people "snivelling" and "childish" when in fact Dogsey was the perfect place for the thread, was uncalled for.

I cannot comment on the threads that Kado is mentioning, but I do know that Catwoman is banned elsewhere.

catwoman999
11-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Mmmm, perhaps you can explain this statement then:

Do you think its fair to say that statement by you implies you were a qualified vet nurse? If so, would it be fair to say that having wrote:
That you were lying about being a qualified Vet nurse? Your statement reads you did one of two years training, you have no qualifications at all. People can train all their lives but if they have nothing at the end of it, they cannot claim to be something they are not.

Do you realise what harm and how potentially dangerous it could be for you to dish out advice on certain things if people believe you are a QUALIFIED vet nurse, when you are in fact not? People, particularly those needing help will listen to those they "think" have qualifications in this area, especially if they think it may save them a few quid at the Vets, it could lead to serious issues for their pets IMO.

Im not meaning to be harsh nor want an argument, but serious concequences could arise if you tell lies about what you do and what you are "qualified" to do.

You clearly know nothing about vet nursing...
You work can as a vet nusre with release to college on certain days, not always done as a full-time college/uni place with just work experience. And god forbid I still do volunteer work at times. ps. I was no failure, I excelled but didn't have the 'heart' for it.
You are really over dramatising, its a FORUM, lots of people give advice on here lol. I am not performing back street operations... please... perspective.
You and your crew have been dying to get me banned!!! For some reason knowledgable people coming on a forum puts noses out of joint. And yesterday you and said crew saw your chance when I posted passionately about RSPCA and wolf thing yesterday. And many people get banned for daring having an opinion on that other forum ;) Vets, vet nurses, knowledgable and passionate posters are the first to fall over there which is a shame...
I did have respect for you BD but you have shown yourself to be petty and clearly dying for me say something insulting and get me banned...
Deffo putting you on ignore...
Everyone is clearly on your side :(

catwoman999
11-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Hi Eileen, with respect I think its very dangerous to claim you are a qualified professional when you are in fact not. Likewise to imply that a Wolf is the same as a dog, then called people "snivelling" and "childish" when in fact Dogsey was the perfect place for the thread, was uncalled for.

I cannot comment on the threads that Kado is mentioning, but I do know that Catwoman is banned elsewhere.

I was insulted far worse yesterday...:(

catwoman999
11-09-2009, 09:45 PM
There as been more threads than just yesterday.

Dissapointed...:(

borderdawn
11-09-2009, 10:05 PM
You clearly know nothing about vet nursing...
You work can as a vet nusre with release to college on certain days, not always done as a full-time college/uni place with just work experience. And god forbid I still do volunteer work at times. ps. I was no failure, I excelled but didn't have the 'heart' for it.
You are really over dramatising, its a FORUM, lots of people give advice on here lol. I am not performing back street operations... please... perspective.
You and your crew have been dying to get me banned!!! For some reason knowledgable people coming on a forum puts noses out of joint. And yesterday you and said crew saw your chance when I posted passionately about RSPCA and wolf thing yesterday. And many people get banned for daring having an opinion on that other forum ;) Vets, vet nurses, knowledgable and passionate posters are the first to fall over there which is a shame...
I did have respect for you BD but you have shown yourself to be petty and clearly dying for me say something insulting and get me banned...
Deffo putting you on ignore...
Everyone is clearly on your side :(
NO, you can work as a nursing assistant, NOT a veterinary nurse, perpective please!;) :roll:

Please show me where I have tried to get you banned and also where I have EVER posted on another thread in the same manner towards you. Ill only be online another couple hours on and off though!! ;) :-D (while you dont find it)

Nobody is on "my side" I came into this thread of my own volition, nobody told me to, nobody had to, do you think it might be that people actually think you may be out of line saying you are one thing and are not? Or that they agree with me and others that Wolves are NOT pets!!??

I excelled but didn't have the 'heart' for it.

Im sure you did. :-D

kado
11-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Catwoman i should have explain myself better. What i ment is every so often a thread or debate gets realy out of hand. I am not picking on anyone at all or taking sides either. I am sure there was a thread about someone breeding kittens a couple of years go when i first joined just cant recal what the thread was called. I dont have any experiance what so ever but when i see a thread that interests me i will say something that is relivant too the thread it might be wrong but life to short to argue. I go away and come back when i need advice. i am not telling you too do that but that is how i cope with answers that i dont like.

kado
11-09-2009, 10:11 PM
This goes for everybody. i thought this was a thread about a missing wolf. I am not having a go at any of the replyers on here

borderdawn
11-09-2009, 10:21 PM
This goes for everybody. i thought this was a thread about a missing wolf. I am not having a go at any of the replyers on here
You are right Kado, how about those pics of your relations Wolves Catwoman? and the Huskies, so we can have a comparison? Just to back up your claims of how similar they are.

trick
11-09-2009, 10:28 PM
I dont know where your from. but vet nurses are vet nurses until they take their final exam when they become 'qualified vet nurses' but it is not compulsary.
As for as the wolf is concerned I thought most of you were against killing healthy animals.
also I've needed more doc visits for cat bites than wolf bites, ha

borderdawn
11-09-2009, 10:40 PM
I dont know where your from. but vet nurses are vet nurses until they take their final exam when they become 'qualified vet nurses' but it is not compulsary.
As for as the wolf is concerned I thought most of you were against killing healthy animals.
The planet Zog, we have pet Wolves and call ourselves things were are not, did I mention Im a rocket scientist?:-D

kado
11-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Just emailed the person where i got my simon from. She breeds husky's champion ones and knows lots on the subject

borderdawn
11-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Just emailed the person where i got my simon from. She breeds husky's champion ones and knows lots on the subject
What for? To ask if she can tell the difference between a dog and a Wolf? lket me ask you Kado, can you?

Wolf.
http://www.jon-atkinson.com/Large%20Images/La_Grey_Wolf2.jpg

Husky.
http://pirun.ku.ac.th/~b5013400/pics/siberian_husky.jpg

Wolfdog. (Czech)
http://files.dogster.com/images/dogster/breeds/czechoslovakian_wolfdog.jpg

Wolfdog. (Saarloos)
http://www.devrolijkeviervoeters.org/images/saarlooswolfhond07a.jpg

To me the Wolfdogs look like GSD crosses, the Husky is a Husky and the Wolf is a wolf.

trick
11-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Ha Ha put the sieve back on and try to ignore the voices

borderdawn
11-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Some GSD's.
http://www.gillsgermanshepherds.com/dogs/usus.jpg

http://www.prairieacreskennel.com/pb/wp_b4ed0cd0/images/img828748bb1fd8b8750.JPG

borderdawn
11-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Ha Ha put the sieve back on and try to ignore the voices
I do try, but they keep creeping in!:-D

pinklizzy
12-09-2009, 09:50 AM

I'm sorry but until I took my final exams and had my portfolio of work signed off, I was a student veterinary nurse. Had I not have passed my professional qualification, I would be working as an animal nursing assistant. It may seem petty but I worked damn hard to earn the right to call myself a Registered and Listed Veterinary Nurse. It is a profession with as much distinction as a 'human' nurse and a healthcare assistant working in hospitals.

borderdawn
12-09-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm sorry but until I took my final exams and had my portfolio of work signed off, I was a student veterinary nurse. Had I not have passed my professional qualification, I would be working as an animal nursing assistant. It may seem petty but I worked damn hard to earn the right to call myself a Registered and Listed Veterinary Nurse. It is a profession with as much distinction as a 'human' nurse and a healthcare assistant working in hospitals.
Congrats to you Pinklizzy.:D You are of course totally correct and comes from somebody who is actually qualified and I expect would be damned annoyed if trainees were giving themselves the same title as you had worked so hard for.

Tazer
18-09-2009, 04:11 PM

To answer your question, it was not a wolf at all, and therefor, was not subject to the strict containment requirements that have to be adhered to and checked, before a dangerous wild animal licence is granted.

Not only do wolves not have blue eyes, there was another article revealing that it was a husky, no suprise there, the owner basicaly lied.

Tazer
18-09-2009, 05:22 PM
For those who struggle to tell the difference between a wolf and husky.

Tundra wolf
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7522/ablackwolf.jpg (http://img17.imageshack.us/i/ablackwolf.jpg/)

Arabian wolf.
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/7516/arabian20wolf.jpg (http://img514.imageshack.us/i/arabian20wolf.jpg/)

Note the eye colour, shape of ears, and overall shape of the head.

Siberian husky.
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6711/ahusky.jpg (http://img17.imageshack.us/i/ahusky.jpg/)

Another wolf.
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/3206/awolfportrait.jpg (http://img514.imageshack.us/i/awolfportrait.jpg/)

Look at the physical profile closely, taking into account all aspects, including chest depth, leg length, top line etc.

Husky
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9290/ahusky2.jpg (http://img17.imageshack.us/i/ahusky2.jpg/)

Now compare to these wolves.
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/9703/awolftimberwolfstanding.jpg (http://img514.imageshack.us/i/awolftimberwolfstanding.jpg/)
Ethiopean wolf
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5272/ethiopian20wolf.jpg (http://img514.imageshack.us/i/ethiopian20wolf.jpg/)
European wolf
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5038/european20or20carpathia.jpg (http://img17.imageshack.us/i/european20or20carpathia.jpg/)

Also, wolves never have curly tails.

Hope this helps.