PDA

View Full Version : Chloe has cystitis AGAIN

Donna
06-09-2009, 03:34 PM
She gets this about once or twice a year.... another vet trip and consultation charge just to be given what I already know she needs.. metacam.....

I think I will have to stop the dry food altogether. She only has a sprinkling on top of her wet food, but seems sometimes its enough to set it off (especially if she picks the biscuits out and leaves the wet food).

She is fine if she is fed wet food only... but sometimes I feel mean as she does love the biscuits...

kado
06-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Give her a hug from me. I do think its sometimes to do with dry food myself. Guinness is on Asda tiger and has a bowl of Go-cat everday. I wish he didnt like the dry food but he does i try not too give him it but he started to pinch the others. I tried the vets diet ones the wet and the dry but he just went off it so i had to feed him on something. I do hope your trip too the vets goes ok. Please let us know on how Chloe gets on.

Mags
06-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Poor Chloe, I hope she'll feel better soon, Donna.....

angieh
06-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Hugs to Chloe Donna. My poor old Merlin used to get bouts of cystitis every now and then after his initial blockage. He had Metacam and anti-biotics and it used to clear up very quickly.

pinklizzy
06-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Sorry to hear Chloe is suffering-cystitis is so nasty! Is she on any preventative treatments?

Moli
06-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Poor Baby, My Leo has had it recently, he is still on tablets....

Donna
06-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Sorry to hear Chloe is suffering-cystitis is so nasty! Is she on any preventative treatments?

What preventative treatments are there? I did not know there were any... I will have to make a real effort to never give her dried food... she needs to have lots of water to stop it coming back.

catwoman999
06-09-2009, 08:19 PM
What preventative treatments are there? I did not know there were any... I will have to make a real effort to never give her dried food... she needs to have lots of water to stop it coming back.

Cystease is really good! Its feline food supplement that contains glucosamine in capsule form. Though can make cat sick with the first few loading doses, but this stops as cats system gets used to glucosamine :D

Donna
06-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Cystease is really good! Its feline food supplement that contains glucosamine in capsule form. Though can make cat sick with the first few loading doses, but this stops as cats system gets used to glucosamine :D

Just looked at a few websites... looks interesting.. might give this a try. Thanks.

dandysmom
06-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Leia's like Chloe, prefers the dry; sometimes wish they'd never invented it! I use just a sprinkle on top of the wet to get her started eating, and always add extra water to make more gravy; seems to be working for me. No more bouts of it.

I'd never heard of Cystease; good to know! Poor Chloe, hope she's better soon.

catwoman999
06-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Just looked at a few websites... looks interesting.. might give this a try. Thanks.

No problem :D
You start with giving cat capsule once/twice a day for 14 days, then after that reduce dose to 1 capsule every second day.
Does cat no harm, no side effects (except first day or two slight nausea/or being sick) and has high success rate.

pinklizzy
06-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Sorry Donna, internet crashed, again! Cystease/cystaid where the things I was thinking of. They work to replenish a protective layer which lines the bladder. Cats that are prone to cystitis/lower urinary tract problems are thought to have a thinner layer of this mucous so that the urine irritates the bladder. The FAB website has a really interesting article on FLUTD, we often give it out to clients.

dinahsmum
07-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Donna - I got Cystease after Chester had cystitis (I just researched it and got it - not on vet recommendation or anything). It worked like a dream, though I had to get the right 'maintenance dose' by trial and error and eventually weaned him off it altogether.
I was sure he'd need a course of it after his getting lost adventure but no - he really seems to have come back with a stiffer spine and hasn't needed it. If I wasn't so 'superstitious' that if I get rid of the half pot of capsules in the cupboard he'll immediately get it again, I'd send them to you.
I've never had any problem with him taking it - just open the capsule, mash the powder into a juicy bit of food then mix all the food in. By the way Chester eats about 50/50 dry and wet, and always has.

Good luck - I hope you find something that works; it's no fun for you or for Chloe. We've all had cystitis and know how much it hurts - imagine being a cat and not understanding it at all.

Donna
07-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Well thanks for all the info everyone. I think I caught it in time this time, as I completely took her off any dry food, increased water in her moist food and put down bowls of water everywhere - even in the garden.. and she seems to be "going" better now... but will look at ordering these Cystease to maintain a better bladder.

Mags
07-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Glad to hear Chloe is improving, Donna .......