PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider this?

Elaine
06-09-2009, 10:49 AM
http://www.dogfence.co.uk/products/products_for_cats.htm

I was wondering what peoples view are on this kind of cat containment, would it be considered as cruel or would it be a good thing to ensure that a cat can be contained safely within a garden?
I have a client in a similar predicament as Erin and Jerry, they are considering this as a way for their cat to be able to enjoy some outdoor activity with out being exposed to the danger of a busy road, again for them they have a shared garden and are not allowed to erect fencing or anything in order to ensure their cats safety.
I suggested a cat kennel, something like Borderdawn has for her cats. Again I am not sure whether they would be allowed this in their garden or not and if they were, would it be cruel to then have them outside but yet still confined in this way...
Any thoughts people????

kado
06-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Just seen the site. Note quiet sure how it would work . If you want you cat to have freedom say in the garden that possibity would be fine but it wont stop other cats coming in amd it doesnt give a idea of a price. I think cat kennels are a good idea though my brother has one.

Phoenix
06-09-2009, 11:10 AM
I'd be worried about the collar thing the cat would be wearing, looking at the link I'd say if the cat caught itself on something chances are the collar wouldn't give and so the cat couldn't escape (same with the buckle collars really). Unless of course the territory didn't have any bushes or anything so the cat couldn't get caught ...

Mags
06-09-2009, 11:19 AM
I would want to know more about how it worked for cats ..... the link doesn't give any information on that :?

kado
06-09-2009, 11:34 AM
None of mine has collars on i tried them when they was babies but they hated them. Cats can jump which we all know so if you had a tree they could jump up too the highest point. The other thing is if you have it say 6ft of the ground and your cat climb that high would it make them fall off the fence and hurt themslefs

angieh
06-09-2009, 12:38 PM
I can't believe it emits an electrical shock - must be an auditory thing............ shame the site doesn't actually say how it works.

catwoman999
06-09-2009, 01:19 PM
I think this is a fantastic idea!
I can understand why the others have reservations...
You can adjust the signal fence area to be away from a tree, so that the collar is not an issue. I'd like to be there to supervise the cat, as others said it keeps your cat within a certain area, but others cats/dogs can wander into that space freely. Putting your cat at a disadvantage, cos can't escape that certain area.
If I had a garden, I would deffo consider this!
I would love to give my indoor cats some outdoor freedom, under my watchful eye of course and certainly not unsupervised due to obvious dangers it could pose to cat :D

Moli
06-09-2009, 01:22 PM
I would not even consider it!!

Elaine
06-09-2009, 03:42 PM
I would not even consider it!!

Can I ask why?:D

dandysmom
06-09-2009, 04:13 PM
The site was not too clear to me; if this uses an electrical shock as I believe it does for dogs, I would never consider it under any circumstances. Harness training is good enough for me.

Elaine
06-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Can I just make it clear that it is NOT an electric shock collar. It carries a radio transmitter which gives off a tone when the animal gets close to the fence lay out.

catwoman999
06-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Can I just make it clear that it is NOT an electric shock collar. It carries a radio transmitter which gives off a tone when the animal gets close to the fence lay out.

Its ok, I understood that ;)

dandysmom
06-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Now I'm really confused. How can a tone keep the cat from crossing the boundry?

Elaine
06-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Its ok, I understood that ;)

I know you did but others are mistaking it for just that.;)

kado
06-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Sorry i understand more now. Would love to know if anybody has tried it out

Elaine
06-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Now I'm really confused. How can a tone keep the cat from crossing the boundry?

When the animal comes close to it, it gives off a sharp frequency tone which in theory should be enough to deter the animal to not get closer to the boundry.

kado
06-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Just been back on and looked more into it. It looks a real good idea but still not sure. It is expensive if you have more than one cat. Just thought of a problem with it what if you have a deaf cat. I know they should be kept indoors would they be able to hear it.

Erin
06-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Well you wouldnt use it if you had a deaf cat would you, because it quite obviously would not work.
I think it seems like a really good idea and something I will look at. Emma's garden is quite big as you know so will all depend on the cost, but ill certainly be giving it ago if I can afford it.

catwoman999
06-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Considering poor Jerry's problems at the moment, I think it would be a great idea! Yes, the system has flaws but what is perfect? Nothing that can't be worked around when putting on the thinking cap.
If it helped wee Jerry's cystitis/stress, it would be worth every penny :D

catwoman999
06-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Starts at £139.66 to cover 22 acres!!!!! For one cat!
Wow, thought it would be much more expensive....

www.countrystoredirect.com/acatalog/Cat-Containment.html

Erin
06-09-2009, 05:09 PM

www.countrystoredirect.com/acatalog/Cat-Containment.html

Thats not so bad, I though it would have been loads more than that!

catwoman999
06-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Thats not so bad, I though it would have been loads more than that!

Additional wire may be bought at £9.95, to widen area!

I was thinking thousands of pounds lol silly me :oops:

For two cats you just buy another collar (£69.99), and Casper can join in the fun!

Moli
06-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Electric shocks!!!no way..............

catwoman999
06-09-2009, 05:59 PM

Its not electric shocks lol!!!!!
Its radio waves, not electric shocks!
Does not cause pain!
It the radio wave system we are refering to.

Elaine
06-09-2009, 06:00 PM

Pat, you are not reading this right, it is NOT an electric shock collar!!!!!!!!!!

dandysmom
06-09-2009, 08:12 PM
But how can a TONE possibly deter a cat? Sorry to be dense but this makes no sense whatsoever to me ........

And what is to prevent another cat or a free roaming dog to come into the area?

Elaine
07-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Just been back on and looked more into it. It looks a real good idea but still not sure. It is expensive if you have more than one cat. Just thought of a problem with it what if you have a deaf cat. I know they should be kept indoors would they be able to hear it.

Thats just ridiculous, ofcourse you wouldnt consider it if the cat was deaf:roll:

Well you wouldnt use it if you had a deaf cat would you, because it quite obviously would not work.
I think it seems like a really good idea and something I will look at. Emma's garden is quite big as you know so will all depend on the cost, but ill certainly be giving it ago if I can afford it.

May well be worth some more investigation....

www.countrystoredirect.com/acatalog/Cat-Containment.html (http://www.countrystoredirect.com/acatalog/Cat-Containment.html)

Thats not a bad price. If it were to work...

But how can a TONE possibly deter a cat? Sorry to be dense but this makes no sense whatsoever to me ........

And what is to prevent another cat or a free roaming dog to come into the area?

The theory is that it's a short sharp tone which would give the cat a little fright on aproaching the boundry, the idea being that the pet would learn where the boundry lay.
It wont stop other cats or dogs from getting in. With respect to dogs, the client and Erin's gardens have sufficient fencing to stop dogs wandering in but not other cats.
I'd be more interested to hear from people who have this system and what their opinions are but where to find them....

catwoman999
07-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Thats just ridiculous, ofcourse you wouldnt consider it if the cat was deaf:roll:

May well be worth some more investigation....

Thats not a bad price. If it were to work...

The theory is that it's a short sharp tone which would give the cat a little fright on aproaching the boundry, the idea being that the pet would learn where the boundry lay.
It wont stop other cats or dogs from getting in. With respect to dogs, the client and Erin's gardens have sufficient fencing to stop dogs wandering in but not other cats.
I'd be more interested to hear from people who have this system and what their opinions are but where to find them....

I googled 'cat radio wave fences', and found quite a few reviews on it. Will try and find again and post link :D

dandysmom
07-09-2009, 04:17 PM
I still cannot see how that sharp tone would deter a stubborn cat; he's soon learn that the tone, while annoying and perhaps a bit scary at the first, was not going to harm him in any way, so would cross the boundry. It might work for a timid spooky cat ....

Elaine
07-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I still cannot see how that sharp tone would deter a stubborn cat; he's soon learn that the tone, while annoying and perhaps a bit scary at the first, was not going to harm him in any way, so would cross the boundry. It might work for a timid spooky cat ....

Well who knows??? Maybe it would work for some cats and maybe it wouldnt work at all.....

dandysmom
07-09-2009, 04:26 PM
I suspect you're right, you have to know your cat. I can see that working with my Siamese who was a timid spooky cat; but Sultan? No way! It would be a shame to spend that amount of money and find it didn't work; just my opinion. Sorry to sound so negative, but I just cannot see it. I too would be interested in seeing reports, pro and con, from cat owners who have used it.

angelwings
07-09-2009, 05:43 PM
my friend has this for her cats. so joined here to tell you all about it. she has 2 cats who were always indoors cats, so bought fence to give outdoor access. it really does work a treat. took a week or 2 to get cats trained with it and like poster catwoman999 said she never leaves them unattended whilst out in yard with the fence just in case.
I have indoor persians and having seen this item in action i am buying one. not once have her two cats crossed the boundry so the radio transmitters really work :-D

Elaine
08-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Thankyou for joining up and telling us about your friends possitive experience, very helpful, thanx again:D