PDA

View Full Version : Why Do People Have Cats And Neglect Them?

jan
05-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi all,
I need to vent my anger at neighbours and friends of my friend. I went round to hers to have a chinese and watch Big Brother final, she came out to walk to the bus stop with me and a beautiful long haired black cat started following us. Alfie belongs to her neighbour who bought two kittens last summer so they are about 15 months old, made a huge fuss of them, left them with my friend when they went to work to cat sit etc and then as she is expecting in 4 weeks time she now no longer allows them inside at all. They get fed cheap cat food and thats it. My friend cant have them as her younger male cat urinated up her wall last time Alfie went in her flat in protest but she does fuss them and feed them chicken. She said she would have him if it was nt for Dave her cat s behaviour. Said she was on the point of bringing them to me to have last week but I cant as I already have 4. She took Alfie back away from the main road as he was following and such a friendly cat, so loving. Handsome boy too! Right close to the main road where they live and I wonder what s going to happen to them when it gets really cold. I cant believe how people can be so uncaring and indifferent when they were besotted once. There s nothing else can be said or done really, is there, about this?
Jan x

catwoman999
05-09-2009, 04:26 PM
This a really sad story... And unfortunately not an unusual one. Many stray/ rescue centre cats were once loved then discarded :cry: when circumstances change. Especially when human babies come along. Makes me angry/sad also.
The poor cats are given rubbish food and stuck outdoors 24 hours next to a busy road- shame on her!!!!!! Rather than do this, the owner should advertise the cats to rehome, to people who the cats will remain the main priority...

angieh
05-09-2009, 05:12 PM
It is a crying shame Jan. A terrible reflection on the nature of some humans. Poor cats - I wonder what can be done on a practical level for them?

kado
05-09-2009, 05:21 PM
I dont even allow mine out at night. Its getting colder now. Has the male being neutered? Its so comon up where i live there was a advert for a brother and sister cat about 1yr old free to a good home but the female was heavly pregnant. Just because she was expecting as well.

jan
05-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Yes Angie, I have been pondering all day what, if anything, can be done. I said to my friend last nyt they would need a shelter for the winter if they are out all the time. As I am typing I just rang my friend to find out more and apparently the owners favour the second of the two who is a really pretty cat and not so much this one I saw, who my friend says, has bags of personality. They have been neutered and my friend feeds them chicken and nice treats and has them in when Dave s not prowling about! She is close friends with the couple who own them so maybe she can see if they are thinking of giving them up to a good home now the baby s due. Its a difficult situation for an animal lover when you have to stand by and watch. :( Jan x

angieh
05-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Yes - your friend though is probably better placed to find out how the couple are thinking. Trouble is of course that new homes could be hard to come by if they decide to let them go.

patsy
06-09-2009, 07:31 AM
It's such a shame when people see animals as toys rather than part of the family. I had my own first cat before I had my children, she kept me company during the night feeds and seemed to guard them when they slept (she was outside the door). When she died 18yrs later we buried her in the garden and all went to bed early as we just wanted the day to end.