PDA

View Full Version : Worming Tablet Fears

Sugarant
30-08-2009, 04:46 PM
I just gave our kitten the first worming tablet at home (the vet gave him the first one after we got him) and I was so busy trying to make sure we gave it to him in the right way that I think I gave him too much.

I bought a single tablet from the vets because she said they were all size appropriate and by the time I needed more, he might be much bigger. The packet said it was for kittens. However, after giving him the tablet, I suddenly got a bit worried and looked it up online and it says that for kittens under 4kg they only need half a tablet. I've just given a whole tablet to a kitten of about 2kg. How serious is that? The vets aren't open til Tuesday now so I can't ring and ask but I don't want to call the emergency vet if I'm worrying unnecessarily.

kado
30-08-2009, 05:12 PM
I am sure that some one on here will know. Could you just ring the vets up for advice i would if you are worried it would give you a peace of mind. sorry i am not much use. It can get a bit slow on her at the weekend were all busy with our felines so dont worry if you dont get a repky straight away.

angieh
30-08-2009, 05:24 PM
So sorry not to be able to help. My vet prescribed Panacur paste for my little one, although I have to admit that I haven't plucked up enough courage to give him it yet.

If you are worried I would phone the emergency vet and see what they say. It may not be critical, but IMO that sort of decision needs to be taken by someone who knows.

Mags
30-08-2009, 05:51 PM
What was the name of the worming tablet?

Sugarant
30-08-2009, 06:19 PM
The tablet was Milbemax.

Have been trying the emergency vet since I gave it to him but there's no answer. Think they must be really busy. Will keep trying and let you know what they say.

dandysmom
30-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Wish I could help; have only used liquid wormer, and for an adult cat. Keep trying the vet.......

pinklizzy
30-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Hi, was it Milbemax cat or the kitten one? It may cause vomiting or diarrhoea or lethargy following an overdose but I've had a look through the data sheet and these signs should resolve themselves, if they occur. If you can get hold of your vet maybe just double check it with them too.

pinklizzy
30-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Sorry, i can't edit my previous post. I just saw that it was milbemax for kittens? In which case a single tablet is fine for a 2kg kitten.
HTH

Sugarant
30-08-2009, 08:48 PM
It was the kitten tablet. Still no answer from the vets - I wonder if there's only one on call right now - but the cat seems perfectly normal. Has eaten his tea nicely, put his foot in my maltesers and is currently trying to sit on my laptop.

Have calmed down a bit now - I followed him around for about 2 hours, waiting for something horrible to happen.

Sugarant
30-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Sorry Pinklizzy, must've been posting at the same time. That is such a relief, thank you so much!

I LOVE these forums. Everyone really cares.

pinklizzy
30-08-2009, 09:00 PM
That's ok, glad to help! It's horrible when you're so worried about them!

Mags
30-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Well done Liz, you're an asset on here!;)

dandysmom
30-08-2009, 10:15 PM
I was just thinking the same. The depth of knowledge here is awesome, and people care and are willing to share.

angieh
30-08-2009, 11:40 PM
What a relief! Glad kitty will be fine.

Sugarant
01-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Kitty is absolutely fine - not even mild diarrhoea. Now I've got to get my nerve up to do the flea treatment! I may wait a few days.

kado
01-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Glad he is ok. I have too worm my kitties i think at 2wks and i am dreading it. I usualy de flea mine once a month or so. If using spot on you have too get it right on the back of the neck so they dont lick it. If they do they might slaver. Lucky one off mine did and we followed him around for a couple of hours with a cloth wipeing his chin. Rest assured he is fine with it.