PDA

View Full Version : Broody

Phoenix
25-08-2009, 09:02 PM
I'm starting to get broody about getting a companion for Dylan for once I live on my own.

Now I can't move immediately, nor can I take on a second cat before I get a place of my own.

Considering that Dylan's a bossy paws when it comes to other cats, for one thing would he be OK with another cat in the household when I've got a place of my own? Another thing, if he is going to settle with another cat, what sort of temprament would it be a good idea I went for?

When we first got him, he was missing the company of other cats but once he was allowed out he started fighting with everything on four legs, so not sure if he'd be happy with a companion. What do you all think?

Moli
25-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Think if you were considering getting another, would be better with a kitten..He may accept that.........

Mags
25-08-2009, 09:13 PM
When you eventually get a place of your own RCR, I would wait a while before deciding on another cat to give Dylan time to adjust to new surroundings. Too much change all at once could be too much for him....

Elaine
25-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I would agree with Mags. But when you do decide the time is right, I'd probably go for something a little more subserviant than Dylan, so that he doesnt feel threatened or need to fight for status. But that may be harder to come by.

kado
25-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Simon hated Troy,chester and lucky when we first got them but within the month of getting them he was ok. Simon was a very bossy cat as well he hated any cat that he saw and picked fights all the time. A friend for Dylan would be nice for him but when the time is right after you get your own place

dandysmom
25-08-2009, 10:16 PM
I agree with Mags that it would better to let him settle first; then go for a kitten. He might be more accepting of a little female.

Sultan was a bully with other cats, but it didn't work with Misty, who was about 3 months old when I rescued her. She just refused to be bullied so he had to accept her and they became the best of friends.

angieh
25-08-2009, 10:30 PM
When I contacted Battersea about adopting another cat after I first had Kizzy, they said they would not consider rehoming another cat until the first cat had been in its new home for three months so as to have become completely settled and with established routines.

Good luck with finding your own place and getting well settled. Nice to dream about though .......

Moli
25-08-2009, 10:49 PM
I was lucky with Chancer, he was so laid back, even my boys hissing at him had no effect, so they just accepted him...

Phoenix
26-08-2009, 01:53 PM
I would agree with Mags. But when you do decide the time is right, I'd probably go for something a little more subserviant than Dylan, so that he doesnt feel threatened or need to fight for status. But that may be harder to come by.

So an introvert female kitten Elaine?

Would she have to be a young kitten or could I get away with a slightly older kitten? (just so I know what age kitten to consider)

Phoenix
29-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Since I posted about it last, we haven't adopted a companion yet (still not in a position to, might be in a couple of years) but Dylan's decided he adores females, still can't tolerate males at all.

angieh
29-09-2009, 07:51 PM
So a nice young girlie for Dylan, sounds like RCR! You could try a youngish cat, maybe around a year old?

I have been very lucky with Kizzy and Pip who are now getting on very much like older sister and annoying little brother, but they do play together and have been seen licking each other! They don't snuggle up yet, but maybe that will come.

dandysmom
29-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Do you get kittens at the rescue you volunteer at? Seems I mostly remember posts about adults. But it'll be a while till you move, so there's lots of time to think about it. A hissy spitty litle girl kitten who won't be intimidated would be good ......

Phoenix
29-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Do you get kittens at the rescue you volunteer at? Seems I mostly remember posts about adults. But it'll be a while till you move, so there's lots of time to think about it. A hissy spitty litle girl kitten who won't be intimidated would be good ......

Yes but I never remember them when they've been rehomed :oops: