PDA

View Full Version : Odd mark and additional advice needed?!

fillyfod
24-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi there,

Im new on here and was hoping you guys might be able to help me with two things actually. My cat, Lola had an absess behind her eye about 3 weeks ago now and had to have it drained at the vets. They gave me eye drops and metacam to give her which made her life very stressful. Before this she loved going to the vet for the attention and now she hates it :-(

The last time I went they said they wanted to see her in a month, and her appointment is next week but im wondering if I really need to take her. The check is mainly on her eye which is now closing properly and wasnt before and the scar is healed and the hair growing back nicely. It has really taken its toll, with her now preferring not to be in the house, even sleeping outside which never happened before and also only wanting to eat once a day rather than twice. She is very wary of us now.

What should I do?

My second issue is this morning we noticed she has a mark above her other eye which is like a graze and I cant think how this kind of mark could have possibly appeared. It doesnt look likely to be a mark due to a scrap but I cant think how else she should have sustained it. It doesnt look too masty and obviously is a bit painful so ive decided to not touch it for the moment but should I clean it up or will it be ok to leave?

If anyone can give any advice for these 2 issues it would be much appreciated. I know the vets always play it safe but I dont want to turn my cat against me and my partner!!

Your help is much appreciated xxx

Elaine
24-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Welcome to Catsey.
First off, I probably would keep the vet appointment as it's better to make sure that all is well with the eye, maybe ask them to take a look at the graze also.
If your cat has become stressed you may also want to discuss this with your vet, they may give you some Zylkene, which is a food supplement to help ease stress. You may also want to try a feliway diffuser which is a plug in much like some room freshners but gives off friendly ferimones. You can also try Rescue Remedy which you can buy at Boots or other chemists. One ot two drops in food or water but better if you can apply directly to her ear tips. Put a drop on your finger and gently rub into the tips of her ears. Try tempting her with her favourite treat, perhaps prawns or ham.....
Does the graze look dirty or infected? If so, I would try to clean it with some cooled boiled water and salt, if not, then dont stress her any more by try to tamper with it. Could she have fallen off a wall or been involved in an rta?
I hope some of this helps and I am sure others will have some invaluable advice for you.

Mistleto's-mum
24-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Hello and welcome :)

I can only suggest what Elaine has already said.

Good luck.

Louise x

catwoman999
24-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Elaine has just about nailed it, with the advice...

I know you said your cat does not want to be indoors with you anymore, due to giving meds. But in able for you to re-bond and gain her trust again, you must keep her in for some portion of the day, so you can make a fuss of her, stroke, play etc. Become friends again :D It may take days, or weeks... But if you let her go semi-feral with no human contact, you may never gain her trust again and she will stick with being outdoors, only coming back for food.
Its a tough one, but I am sure cat will forget given time... And with the help of products Elaine recommended this can be made easier.
Wishing you success!

dandysmom
24-08-2009, 04:30 PM
I can't improve on the excellent advice given by Elaine and Catwoman!