PDA

View Full Version : Maisey and her babies

kado
23-08-2009, 10:43 AM
There one day old today. Maisey is a realy good mum with them as well. She has her food then goes straight back too her babies. All the other cats dont go anywhere near her babies at all. Lucky the youngest of the boys is more nosey but maisey keeps him in check. How much should she have to eat. Should i be given her something else. We have checked out the babies and they all all doing fine maisey was having something to eat i stroked her then quickly checked them all over. When should they have a vets visit. Everything i looked up on cats has gone straight in one ear and out of the other. You probaly all think i am mad but we are now keeping all of the babies any name suggestions would be good. Going to take a photo in a bit.

jane and the football team

catwoman999
23-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi Jane, glad kittens arrived safe and sound.
Feed Maisey a good quality kitten food, I know she is an adult, but nursing kittens can really take it out of a cat. Kitten food is has more nutrition that with help rebuild mummy up, also some cat milk for her. She will eat LOADS while kittens are nursing, and this is normal.

catwoman999
23-08-2009, 01:23 PM
You have to look after Maisey, so that she can look after her babies properly and produce lots of milk for them! ;)

kado
23-08-2009, 02:01 PM
She has been on kitten food for about a 2wks or more now she loves it. I tried lots but the only one she eats is the asda own brand one. She has whiska cat milk she doesnt like the others either is that ok or should she be on one from the vets

catwoman999
23-08-2009, 02:11 PM
No, you don't need to go to vet for special food/milk. Its really what you can afford and what Maisey is happy eating! Though a vets visit would be good, to get a good quality wormer for mum and kittens. I would stay well clear of the wormers you get in supermarkets... Vets always stock more effective and less dangerous wormers, which are just the same price as the supermarket ones :D

catwoman999
23-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Pets @ home do really good wormers also, but they are locked away. You have to ask for a manager, they take your details before you buy... Just a thought... Saves a vets bill, if mother and kittens are well at this moment in time!

kado
23-08-2009, 02:51 PM
I de flead all of them on the 18th so there due to be done again on the 18th september. I intend to get them all checked over then will it be ok to leave it till then or should i take them sooner. I have never tried wormers that i haven got from the vet and because guinness is huge i always tend to use the vets. I tried to get a photo but it came out too dark. We have names i hope. Rocky or Roxy for a black one, black brown and white Cracker, and the one with a pink nose which is black/browm and white prince or princess. Thanks for your advice

catwoman999
23-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Yeah, 18th of September is probably just perfect timing for a vet check on mum and kittens... But kittens and mum will really need worming before then, epecially for round worms...
Maybe check kittens for fleas in a few days time, even though all your cats are frontlined, kittens could catch fleas from the house environment. Then go on to develop tapeworms from fleas...

dandysmom
23-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Glad to hear mum and the babies are doing well, good advice from Catwoman. Try again for pics!!

kado
23-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the advice catwoman. I going to phone the vets up in the morning and ask them what they reccomend. I also am going to get another can of inderex which i used on the
18th as well. The little blitters did our heads in so there's no way its going to happen again. I know most flea products cant be used till 8wks of age but can you use frontling spray on them

jan
23-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi Kado,
regarding the kittens, Maisey had 4 did nt she? Are they all okay as it may be me but I thought you only mentioned 3 kittens in your descriptions of them when you were discussing their probable names. I cant see any other threads where you have posted anything about them and maybe its me not reading it right but I do hope they are all fine! Must be a lovely experience and how brilliant to be keeping them all. Jan x ;)

kado
24-08-2009, 10:56 AM
She does have 4. They are all fine the jet black one mine either roxy or rocky is the greediest is always feeding or trying too. She hasnt moved them there still in my daughters pram which she is pleased as punch about. If one of the babies crys she rushes over too the straignt away and washes it. My son stayed with her for the last two births he is pleasedas punch about that as well he is nearly 20. Phone the vets up this morning to ask about worming and i am going to take them for a check up after they have opened there eys a wk on saturday. They said i can use panacur liquid which i hate its so messy but i have too know there weight so i think its best if i take them and mum too. I am also going to get wormers for the other cats at the same time and there next dose of frontline. I just couldnt split them up. Its like she choose us and what are we if we can not help her babies.

kado
28-08-2009, 10:32 PM
There 1 wk old on the 29th. They have grown so much and have there own personalities already. Maisey is doing ok and non of the other cats are bothered about them. I check them twice a day to make sure they havent picked out up and when i picked them up tonight they all pee-ed on me hand. They love suckling of mum and have there favourite spot to feed from. Hope to get pics when they move around a bit as its too dark a back ground. There still in my daughter dolls pram