PDA

View Full Version : Poorly Jerry

Pages : [1] 2

Erin
22-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Looks like the stress of the move has finally caught up with my baby.

I noticed blood in one of the cats urine yesterday but wasnt sure which cat it was from. Jerry stays in the bedroom with me at night and when I had got up this morning I noticed Jerry had pee'd in the shower and there was blood in it :(
Elaine took us to the vets earlier, he has idiopathic cystitis. He's had an anti inflammatory injection and Ive been given Cystaid and something else to help with the stress. Poor baby is sulking under the bed but was such a good boy at the vets bless him.

Off out to find something nice and tasty to bribe him to take the tablets in, although Im not holding my breath, he quickly gets wise to these little bribes :roll: :lol:

catwoman999
22-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Awwww poor Jerry! Well, you did the right thing by taking him to the vet... Hopefully he will be on the mend soon!
Sending healing cat vibes :-D x

angieh
22-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Poor love - hope he perks up soon. Glad you picked it up so quickly.

catwoman999
22-08-2009, 01:41 PM
ps.Lots of water mixed in with wet food will help him recover quicker! :)

Moli
22-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Poor baby, hope he picks up soon...give him a gentle cuddle from me...

jan
22-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Ah poor Jerry. Give him 24 hours on the tablets he will be bouncing back! Give him a gentle stroke from us Jan x ;)

dinahsmum
22-08-2009, 02:08 PM
poor boy!
Get well vibes coming his way

Kazz
22-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Poor Jerry I wouldn't bother wrapping them in treats Erin do what I did with mine.
Hold the cat and pop the tablet in the back of their throat and then rub....

pcspik
22-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Poor Jerry I wouldn't bother wrapping them in treats Erin do what I did with mine.

Unless you have an extremely strong cat who cant be restrained, even with a towel. I have that problem every single time I have to worm Pickle.

He had cystitis when he was in the shelter, and it was so bad he was not allowed a bed!

dandysmom
22-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Poor Jerry; glad you caught it early. Those anti-inflammatories seem to work fast, Leia was back to normal very quickly when she had cystitis.

Kazz, as Pcspik said, an extremely strong cat who won't be restrained is impossible to pill!

Sequeena
22-08-2009, 04:56 PM
oh no poor little guy :(

My mum crushes the tablets in butter and spreads it on the cats paws, don't know if it will work for you :)

Elaine
22-08-2009, 06:50 PM
I dont think it's the stress of the move at all because it would have come on sooner plus big gormless Caspurr simply has to get into the litter box every time poor Jerry does. I think that's the issue, Jerry isnt getting privacy or peace to pee.
She saw my current vet, who I have to say was very good.
Jerry was a little angel on the journey as well as in the vets.
He got a pain relief injection, cystaid and Zylken for stress.
We have been to the pet shop and bought him a wee water fountain as well as some treat food such as applaws and some puppy pads incase of little accidents.
Erin also has my kitty litter quitter to try to encourage the cats to use the human loo rather than the trays anyway.
If successful, Caspurr will then be throwing Jerry off the thrown:lol: :lol: :lol:

Elaine
22-08-2009, 06:51 PM

This is Erin we are talking about Kazz:roll: ;) I will be enlisted for that job.

angieh
22-08-2009, 07:48 PM
I've found pilling is always easier with two! One holding on for grim death and the other popping said pill down cat's throat and stroking. Got quite easy with dear old Merlin as he didn't have the strength to fight. Kizzy's next worm pill will be a different matter ....... she's a BIG girl now!

cats' staff
22-08-2009, 08:05 PM
I've found pilling is always easier with two! One holding on for grim death and the other popping said pill down cat's throat and stroking. Got quite easy with dear old Merlin as he didn't have the strength to fight. Kizzy's next worm pill will be a different matter ....... she's a BIG girl now!

It's the word 'popping' or the phrase from the vet, 'just pop this tablet into him' that cracks me up every time. I've seen it done and it is very impressive but I always fail miserably and end up scrabbling under the fridge for the spat out pill with one hand wilst dripping copious amounts of blood from the other!

I hope Jerry is fit and well soon ! (and off the tablets)

dandysmom
22-08-2009, 08:10 PM
It's the word 'popping' or the phrase from the vet, 'just pop this tablet into him' that cracks me up every time. I've seen it done and it is very impressive but I always fail miserably and end up scrabbling under the fridge for the spat out pill with one hand wilst dripping copious amounts of blood from the other!

They make it sound soooo easy, don't they?! I end up with the same scenario you just described, and a very angry cat that I can't get near again...:roll:

Mags
22-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Poor Jerry, hope he's feeling better soon, Erin...

angieh
22-08-2009, 10:08 PM

I agree cats' staff and generally that's the way it goes - it's just the relatively recent experience I've had of a very elderly cat skewed my perspective !

dandysmom
22-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Perhaps if you start Pip early he'll just take it as a fact of life, like claw clipping!

angieh
22-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Wouldn't that be good! I've given him his spot on flea, but putting off the worming paste .......... coward that I am!

Moli
22-08-2009, 10:55 PM
I have 1 out of 5, who is totally impossible to pill.....its a nighmare everytime, usually end up going to the vets for jabs....

Elaine
22-08-2009, 11:12 PM
I have 1 out of 5, who is totally impossible to pill.....its a nighmare everytime, usually end up going to the vets for jabs....

Why dont you just do what i do with Eva...... SIT ON THEM:lol:

pcspik
22-08-2009, 11:32 PM
I agree that it is much easier for a cat to be pilled if there is more than one person.

The cat who lives at my parents house turns feral if you try to shove tablets down her neck. She also hates travelling (she cries and pees in the carrier) so I use Profender (spot on) on her for worms, which she does not like either, but it is the less stressful option.

dandysmom
22-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Is liquid wormer not common in the UK, or frowned upon by vets? Every time I mention this no one ever says why they don't use it.....???

pcspik
23-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Is liquid wormer not common in the UK, or frowned upon by vets?

Liquid wormer is not as common in the UK for cats. I only know of one product, whereas there are at least 10 spot on and tablet solutions for worms (with varying degrees of effectiveness).

The vets I have met don't seem to promote it nor do the rescue centres. In fact I would not have known it had existed only for years ago I saw a litter of kittens being wormed with it. I guess it is because tablets and spot on wormers are easier to manage and store.

catwoman999
23-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Why dont you just do what i do with Eva...... SIT ON THEM:lol:

Scary... Were we separated at birth????

Thats what I do... Sounds awful, I get shocked looks when I say I do this...
But I explain... I sit on the floor resting on my knees, which take my full weight (so its not on cat, of course). With cat inbetween my knees... Works everytime! And not at all cruel, thought it does sound it. Over in seconds, so less stress for cat!;)

pcspik
23-08-2009, 12:34 AM
But I explain... I sit on the floor resting on my knees, which take my full weight (so its not on cat, of course). With cat inbetween my knees... Works everytime! And not at all cruel, thought it does sound it. Over in seconds, so less stress for cat!;)

I do that for my Tigger and also the cat at my parent's house, but it does not work for Pickle. He somehow gets his claws out, and boy can he hurt. Also because he has spent 10 years being unneutered he is immensely strong. I have tried wrapping him in a towel, but he gets out of that. :evil:

The only way that I can do it is by crushing the tablet, and disguising it in k/d meat (which is like a paste because it's the minced stuff in a can). I would give him in a treat, but he has CRF.

I have had to give him antibiotics (tablets) on more than one occasion and that was always a struggle. The only time I had to give him antibiotics and did not have a struggle is when the vet gave him Betamox as an injectable formula (he did not bat an eyelid each time I injected him).

dandysmom
23-08-2009, 02:06 AM
Liquid wormer is not as common in the UK for cats. I only know of one product, whereas there are at least 10 spot on and tablet solutions for worms (with varying degrees of effectiveness).

The vets I have met don't seem to promote it nor do the rescue centres. In fact I would not have known it had existed only for years ago I saw a litter of kittens being wormed with it. I guess it is because tablets and spot on wormers are easier to manage and store.

Thanks for that, I had wondered. The liquid liver flavored wormer is so easy to use if your cat will eat liver wet food! No struggle, no fuss.

Elaine
23-08-2009, 09:01 AM
How is dear Jerry today Erin?

Erin
23-08-2009, 09:52 AM
How is dear Jerry today Erin?

He's been sick :? Think it may just be a fur ball because he seems fine and was screaming for his food after he woke me up, but it was more runny than it normally is when he fetches up a fur ball. Ill just keep an eye on him.

He pee'd in the shower again and on the puppy training pads, only small amounts pee but no blood so hopefully its clearing up now.

Elaine
23-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Poor guy. It may be more watery because he has been drinking more water from the fountain, just a thought.
No blood is a good sign. Are you managing to get him to take his meds?

Erin
23-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Poor guy. It may be more watery because he has been drinking more water from the fountain, just a thought.
No blood is a good sign. Are you managing to get him to take his meds?

In his food yes but for how long I dont know :lol: He will wise up to it soon and stop eating the food :roll:
He is supossed to be having 2 of those cystaid tablets a day, you will have to give him one a day for me so i can hide the other in his food :lol: :lol:

Elaine
23-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Ok, no problem;)

catwoman999
23-08-2009, 11:26 AM
He's been sick :? Think it may just be a fur ball because he seems fine and was screaming for his food after he woke me up, but it was more runny than it normally is when he fetches up a fur ball. Ill just keep an eye on him.

He pee'd in the shower again and on the puppy training pads, only small amounts pee but no blood so hopefully its clearing up now.

Cystaid has glucosamine in it, which is wonderful for idiopathic urinary problems, as it forms a protective lining in the bladder. But it is well known that the first couple of doses can make cats sick/nausea, until the cats system gets used to it.This is normal with a Glucosamine related product. Nothing to worry about! I use Cystease (much the same as Cystaid) for my Amos, and he is sick the first couple of days that he is on it...:-D

Kazz
23-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Can you break the tablet up Erin if so crush it by banging it in clean cloth and a rolling pin....;) then mix it with something highly liked such as squirty cream...or tuna/salmon

angieh
23-08-2009, 12:44 PM
No blood is a good sign Erin. Sounds like the sick is due to the glucosamine as catwoman says (I didn't know that). Hopefully he's on the mend, or at least not uncomfortable and will soon be mending.

Mistleto's-mum
24-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I've had to crush chester's tablets so he cant see it and mix up with the tesco finest fish food.
He only noticed twice :roll:

Hope Jerry is on the mend poor little fella.
Sending lots of healing vibes, hugs and kisses your way xx

Moli
24-08-2009, 01:31 PM
I had to put the cysteze into tuna for Leo...worked for about 2 days then he got wise to it!!!Thankfully he was back to normal when I came away...

Elaine
24-08-2009, 01:31 PM
All the meds are in capsule form, they can be sprinkled on food but putting too much in food will be noticed, leaving food untouched.

random
24-08-2009, 01:39 PM
I just put them as far back in the mouth as I can and hold their mouth shut and stroke neck 'til they swallow whilst holding their body in my knees and I usually get clawed to bits but it gets the job done! They REFUSE to eat even the TINIEST bit in food or water or milk or anything...

Hope he feels better soon Erin, good luck!

random
24-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Can you break the tablet up Erin if so crush it by banging it in clean cloth and a rolling pin....;) then mix it with something highly liked such as squirty cream...or tuna/salmon

I crush them by putting them in between two spoons and squish them together, works a treat but mine won't take them in their food at all, noway.

catwoman999
24-08-2009, 01:41 PM
All the meds are in capsule form, they can be sprinkled on food but putting too much in food will be noticed, leaving food untouched.

I never mix meds with food, you never really know that they are getting the full dose, even if just a small amount of food is left...
I am a brute and always pill. Some cats are clever and can always suss/smell/taste meds in food.
I learned that keeping tablets in fridge is supposed to make them less bitter and take the taste away.
But it never worked with my lot....

dandysmom
24-08-2009, 04:14 PM
I never mix meds with food, you never really know that they are getting the full dose, even if just a small amount of food is left...
I am a brute and always pill. Some cats are clever and can always suss/smell/taste meds in food.
I learned that keeping tablets in fridge is supposed to make them less bitter and take the taste away.

I'll keep that in mind the next time (God forbid! :shock:) that Leia needs pilling, but suspect it won't work here also .......:roll:

Elaine
24-08-2009, 04:48 PM

I can understand that, it is a worry but the Zylkene is a food supplement rather than a med. I have to give Jerry his pill at night but Erin cannt pill him, to be honest he is a bit of a ****** to pill.:? I pill Eva easier:lol: I even tried sitting on Jerry;) . Got there in the end.

catwoman999
24-08-2009, 07:13 PM
I can understand that, it is a worry but the Zylkene is a food supplement rather than a med. I have to give Jerry his pill at night but Erin cannt pill him, to be honest he is a bit of a ****** to pill.:? I pill Eva easier:lol: I even tried sitting on Jerry;) . Got there in the end.

Do you have success with ZYLKENE? Does it work for your cat Elaine? Its quite expensive, and quite new to the market... I got it from vet for my blind cat Sebastian (my avatar), cos he gets VERY stressed on the journey to the vets. I give him it a week before vets visit, but has absolutely NO EFFECT :( He gets just as stressed as ever :( And boy they are big capsules, to pill!!!!! He won't take it in food.
This product is supposed have the chemical thats in a mother cats milk, and therefore have a calming effect.

Kazz
24-08-2009, 07:37 PM
You have success Elaine because Erin is a woose....pills as far as I am concerned need to go into the mouth then throat rubbed and pill swallowed...although you ahev to remember my two were "well trained with the sharp stick method" ;)

catwoman999
24-08-2009, 07:56 PM
You have success Elaine because Erin is a woose....pills as far as I am concerned need to go into the mouth then throat rubbed and pill swallowed...although you ahev to remember my two were "well trained with the sharp stick method" ;)

My lot as well...
Cruel to be kind...

Elaine
24-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Do you have success with ZYLKENE? Does it work for your cat Elaine? Its quite expensive, and quite new to the market... I got it from vet for my blind cat Sebastian (my avatar), cos he gets VERY stressed on the journey to the vets. I give him it a week before vets visit, but has absolutely NO EFFECT :( He gets just as stressed as ever :( And boy they are big capsules, to pill!!!!! He won't take it in food.
This product is supposed have the chemical thats in a mother cats milk, and therefore have a calming effect.

I got some for Eva and it did absolutely nothing for her either. I'm not sure if it's helping Jerry, Erin would be the best judge of that. I use Reiki on Eva, now that really helped her but Bob seems to be chock a block and I am struggling to get an appointment with him.

Poor Jerry, he absolutely hates me now:lol: but he'll get over it once the pills stop.
As for the sharp stick method, tried that on Eva but she wrestled me to the ground and got it off me, I was the one who got a beating that night, never tried again:lol: :lol: :lol:

Erin
24-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Excuse me, Im no wuss :lol: can I just add please Kazz that Elaine only had success in pilling Jerry because I was holding him :lol:
She went into the room a few mins before me tonight, I was expecting her to have given it to him but nope........instead she had my poor boy in some sort of hold that resembled a bear hug :roll: :lol: :lol:
It takes 2 to pill that boy of mine, cant be done alone for the safety of the humans :lol:
And as Elaine said, she can pill Eva easier,need I say more? :lol: :lol:

Erin
24-08-2009, 09:19 PM

Cant really see a change in him tbh, he seems a little more relaxed today but that could just be that he's starting to feel better now :?

catwoman999
24-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Cant really see a change in him tbh, he seems a little more relaxed today but that could just be that he's starting to feel better now :?

Thank you Erin for reply! The cystaid you have is brilliant, and will make him feel more comfortable. I would be interested in knowing in time, whether you think the zylkene has had a calming effect on him... Just out of interest... Cos, I think its expensive rubbish lol... ;) But it might be like catnip, affects some cats but not others!!!

Elaine
24-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Thank you Erin for reply! The cystaid you have is brilliant, and will make him feel more comfortable. I would be interested in knowing in time, whether you think the zylkene has had a calming effect on him... Just out of interest... Cos, I think its expensive rubbish lol... ;) But it might be like catnip, affects some cats but not others!!!

If I remember right, Liz was talking on the phone the other night and she mentioned using the Zylkene on some of the feral with success, but personally it did sweet fanny adams for Eva.

Liz
25-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Zylkene has worked on my 2 latest ferals - Sam - trapped 3 weeks ago and living on top of the wardrobe in our bedroom and conservatory at night and on Indie who has yet to be speyed - she lives under the futon and in the lonuge at night

There is also a Herbal remedy from the health food shop called Margocol - will have to check the bottle for spelling - 3 ferals we took on after the rest of their colony were poisoned were put on by the nice trapee lady and travelled 150 miles to come here - we stopped it after a week and Cissy 15, and her kids Ragamuffin and Smudger 10 have moved in to our bedroom and upstairs study and can all be touched and love treat!

I also have used vet prescribed ACP when all else fails!

Erin
05-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Jerry has cystitis again :(

I have been out all day today with Emma, when we got back I went to check on him and he had pee'd in the shower and there was blood again. Going to be speaking to the vets again and will probably need to get a urine sample this time.

Im really not sure what could be causing this, Im thinking that it could possibly that he is wanting to get out, he sits up at the windows screaming to be let out bless him but we are too close to the city center it just wouldnt be safe. This is a rented flat with a shared garden so cat proofing isnt possible, I just dont know what to do :(

angieh
05-09-2009, 11:43 PM
I am so sorry to read this Erin. Poor Jerry. Did your vet try him on Metacam?

catwoman999
05-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Sorry to hear that Jerry has relapsed :(
Maybe if you didn't give a sample last time, giving one this time may give the vet a better idea. I know they are hard to get and need to be completely sterile, no outside contaminates. If you need some techique advice you are more than welcome to PM me.
My cat had urinary problems, I became an expert/inventive sample taker.
I wouldn't think him wanting out would cause cystitis, though you never know, stress is always a factor... Sometimes there is never a true answer.
Diet can even be a factor, does he eat alot of fish/tuna? Or dry food?
Fingers crossed for the wee guy.

catwoman999
05-09-2009, 11:56 PM
I am so sorry to read this Erin. Poor Jerry. Did your vet try him on Metacam?

Ohhh the SCARY metacam!
Renal function tests should be done on cat first, and depends on age of cat? How old is Jerry?
I used metacam on my cat who was 5 years old, his renal function was good and he was young. He is now 12 years old, and though his renal function is ok (not as good as before) I would now use metcam with much caution/ or not at all. Also cats with cardiac problems should stay clear.
It not unknown for older cats (even at low doses) to take acute renal failure within 48 hours of taking this drug.
Though metacam has a great anti-inflam/soothing effect on the bladder, NSAID'S can be great but there is a huge downside... owners should be very careful with doses of this drug, as it comes in liquid form. A very small overdose can be fatal for cat.
Sorry, its another subject I am quite passionate about having seen a few friends cats die from the use of this drug.
Just putting the info out there, people need to know the risks of this drug and to be sooooo careful with the dosing.
But AngieH you are correct, this drug can help bladder problems! Ideally in younger cats.

catwoman999
06-09-2009, 05:47 AM
Maybe you could ask vet for an x-ray/scan of Jerry's bladder.
Years ago my Amos was in and out litter trying to pee, blood down sides of litter as he came out. To cut a long story short, within a month Amos had 5 visits to the vets, tried metacam, 3 different types of antibiotics (loose motions cos of antibiotics), cystease and nothing helped. Vet kept saying it was environmental stress/idiopathic/infection, I knew it wasn't! Eventually I rushed Amos in as an emergency and only then did they take an x-ray of his bladder and there was 8 small masses in his bladder that needed surgical removal. After being sent away for analysis it turns out they were small stones made up of struvite/calcium oxalate crystals and were around 2-3mm in size. This is rare, as most cats get the crystals/grain of sand size (more easily treated), but never form the larger stones. Thats why vets hadn't x-rayed sooner...:?
Now the presence of crystals will show up in a urine sample, but stones won't. Another reason why it was missed in Amos!
Amos could have had a urethral blockage :shock:
The bleeding he was having when urinating was caused by the stones rubbing against his bladder lining, crystals can also cause this to happen.
Hope this helps and not scare you too much.
I do tend to rabbit a bit... sorry :oops:
In a nut shell, I would push for an x-ray/scan just to be sure, and urine sample if possible.
It could be all stress related with your Jerry, but better safe than sorry.

Erin
06-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks for that catwoman999 :)

The more I thik about it and the more I read up about it, I really do think it's because he wants to get out.
One of the first thing the vet said to me when we went last time is that indoor cats are more prone to it, and everything I read mentions indoor only cats or cats with restricted outdoor access. Jerry used to be allowed out and he spent most of his time outdoors, but there is no way I can risk letting him out here.
He eats both dry and wet food, I have reduced the amount of dry food he gets but I couldnt take him off it all together, he loves his dry food and some days its all he'll eat. I have started putting a bit of water in the dry to moisten it for him, which so far he's ok with and still eating it. He is also drinking alot more after I got the drinking fountain.
He's shut in my room when Im not here so I know its not Caspurr pushing him out of the litter trays. They are still trying to sort out the whole pecking order so that could have something to do with it, and Caspurr will wait to pounce on Jerry when he is backed up into a corner or against a wall.
The only way I would be able to stop that is to keep Jerry shut up in my room alday and keep them both completely seperated, but thats not fair my baby being shut up all the time :(
Oh Jerry is 3 and a half, still just a baby.

kado
06-09-2009, 10:59 AM
I do hope jerry gets better soon having guinness with cyctias and Simon with struvite crystals both came down with it 3 months apart its awful for the cat and for you. Both of them was prescribed diazapan to relax there bladders i did work. They also have tried every type of AB you can think of. Mine where indoor cats when it started off as well. I also think stress is a big part of it. I tried the special diet but its only recomemed for 12wks at the most if i remember right. Sorry but how big is jerry and i am sure he is neutered i cant remeber. Weight can have a lot to do with it as well.

jane

catwoman999
06-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks for that catwoman999 :)

The more I thik about it and the more I read up about it, I really do think it's because he wants to get out.
One of the first thing the vet said to me when we went last time is that indoor cats are more prone to it, and everything I read mentions indoor only cats or cats with restricted outdoor access. Jerry used to be allowed out and he spent most of his time outdoors, but there is no way I can risk letting him out here.
He eats both dry and wet food, I have reduced the amount of dry food he gets but I couldnt take him off it all together, he loves his dry food and some days its all he'll eat. I have started putting a bit of water in the dry to moisten it for him, which so far he's ok with and still eating it. He is also drinking alot more after I got the drinking fountain.
He's shut in my room when Im not here so I know its not Caspurr pushing him out of the litter trays. They are still trying to sort out the whole pecking order so that could have something to do with it, and Caspurr will wait to pounce on Jerry when he is backed up into a corner or against a wall.
The only way I would be able to stop that is to keep Jerry shut up in my room alday and keep them both completely seperated, but thats not fair my baby being shut up all the time :(
Oh Jerry is 3 and a half, still just a baby.

Yeah, it does sound more likely that its a stress thing with Jerry :(
When a cat has outdoor access (even neutered ones) pee more often (scenting) than indoor litterboxed cats. And this peeing more often, flushes out any nasties in the bladder.
And as Kado says, weight is also a big factor with indoor urinary cats. Indoor cats tend to be fatter, cos they don't get the outdoor access for excercise. Added to that Jerry may very well be stressed from being indoors now. I understand he can't get out now, but Cystease etc. can be helpful to have on hand when he takes a relapse.
I wish you and Jerry luck, urinary problems in cats can be very complex.
I knew it wasn't stress with my Amos, as nothing in his environment had altered so had to be physical. But with all the changes that Jerry has had recently, it does seem that stress is most likely.

x

dandysmom
06-09-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm no expert but it does sound like stress to me also. Adding the water to the food is a good idea; I don't remember if you mentioned using Feliway?

dinahsmum
07-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Oh Erin - I'm sorry to read this.
Have you got a Feliway? It might help (remember it takes a few weeks to get to maximum efficiency)
Cystease might help him too - I've written about my experiences with it in Donnas post about Chloe.
I do sympathise - I'm sure Bentley, my outdoor boy, would hate to be confined.

Kazz
07-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Hmmm I am sorry to be reading this Erin... one thing I would like to say to you is regardless of Jerry being a bit under the weather everythig you have done in recent months has been with his interests at heart due to circumstances you had very little control over. You have done your best he will adapt may take a little longer but remember he can't say whats wrong so his symptoms will show themselves as "physical" like this cystitis.

Take care and try to remain calm if you can things will get better for you and Jerry.

Erin
07-09-2009, 03:27 PM
We have been using Feliway DM but its ran out, so Ill go and get another one. He is still on the zylkene to help with stress which is helping but obviously not enough.

Thanks Kazz, Im hoping that I can get him sorted with access ouside somehow otherwise I feel I may have to rehome him :cry: Ill try everything before it gets to that but the poor boy is so miserable at the moment its heart breaking to watch :( I dont want to keep putting him through vet visits, stress of taking pills etc when all he wants to do is get outside :(

As I have already said, Ill try what ever I can afford, I love that little dude so much, and after everything thats gone on this past year and rehoming Milo and Tink and Choc and Lil, Im not giving up on my Jerry boy without a fight, but I do fear I could be fighting a losing battle :cry:

catwoman999
07-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Oh, I hope it doesn't come to that :(

catwoman999
07-09-2009, 03:43 PM
We have been using Feliway DM but its ran out, so Ill go and get another one. He is still on the zylkene to help with stress which is helping but obviously not enough.

Thanks Kazz, Im hoping that I can get him sorted with access ouside somehow otherwise I feel I may have to rehome him :cry: Ill try everything before it gets to that but the poor boy is so miserable at the moment its heart breaking to watch :( I dont want to keep putting him through vet visits, stress of taking pills etc when all he wants to do is get outside :(

As I have already said, Ill try what ever I can afford, I love that little dude so much, and after everything thats gone on this past year and rehoming Milo and Tink and Choc and Lil, Im not giving up on my Jerry boy without a fight, but I do fear I could be fighting a losing battle :cry:

To be honest, I think keeping Jerry on Cystaid/cystease would help alot more than zylkene... Just my opinion...
Or BOTH if you feel that zylkene is working. Cystease targets the bladder so is FAR superior, whereas zylkene is a general stress one. ;)

Moli
07-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Leo is on Zylkene at the moment, I mix it with a drop of milk and put it in a syringe....He is taking it no bother...........

Erin
07-09-2009, 07:00 PM
To be honest, I think keeping Jerry on Cystaid/cystease would help alot more than zylkene... Just my opinion...
Or BOTH if you feel that zylkene is working. Cystease targets the bladder so is FAR superior, whereas zylkene is a general stress one. ;)

Yeah he's still getting cystaid, no more blood so thats a good thing :)

catwoman999
07-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Yeah he's still getting cystaid, no more blood so thats a good thing :)

I was wondering whether you still had him on the cystaid.
I knew from earlier posts you were using it.
Good good.
Hopefully he won't have such a bad episode this time cos of all the preventative things he is on :D

Liz
07-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Erin I'm sure with time your boy will adapt, sometimes they are more sensitive than we think - he will pick up any stress you have to and I know the big move has been stressful for you both

Keep on doing what you are doing it will help he now has his Mum back to himself and doesn't have to share you for a while

Moli
07-09-2009, 10:29 PM
I think he will settle in time, rehoming him would just stress him out even more....I know how hard it is Erin, going through it will Leo at the mo....He got better, then it flared up again, think we are on the road to recovery now though...

catwoman999
08-09-2009, 02:15 AM
I think he will settle in time, rehoming him would just stress him out even more....I know how hard it is Erin, going through it will Leo at the mo....He got better, then it flared up again, think we are on the road to recovery now though...

I couldn't agree more Moli!

Elaine
08-09-2009, 08:21 AM

Erin, he's only had one vet visit so far. I still think that a urine sample is worth doing even if it only proves to be negative.

Giving up on him a little quickly here, he has come through a hell of a lot in a relatively short space of time. He doesnt need you to be negative, he needs you to be possitive and strong.

Erin
08-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Im absolutely not giving up on him Elaine, maybe worded that wrong. And what I meant by he vet visits is that if this going to be a re-occurring thing then it is going to be constant vet visits, I didnt mean he had been several times already.

Im trying not to be negative, as I have already said I will try everything that I can, we are looking into a cat pen/run outside, we are looking into that cat fence off the other thread, Ill even trying getting harness on him and see if that helps. Please dont think for one second that Im giving up on him because Im not.

Ive spoken to the vets and am popping in today to get the stuff for a urine sample.

dandysmom
08-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Good luck getting the sample, Erin. I do hope as time passes his stress level will go down; he has indeed been thru a lot lately, poor guy.

Elaine
08-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Good luck with the sample, with regards to the invisible fence though, I dont think it would work now there is a puppy in the equation, cat pen would probably be better.

Moli
09-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Puppy???where does a puppy come into it???

dandysmom
09-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Yes, what puppy? Did I miss something?

Glenys
13-09-2009, 01:19 PM
just posting to for erin to let you know that jerry is fine. the urine test did not show crystal or stones but the white blood sell count was high which could be because he is fighting off a infection. the vet is going to run the urine test again in a couple of weeks if there are still abnormal white blood sell count then he is going to do blood tests.
jerry is doing well though at present.
#
glenys

Mags
13-09-2009, 02:14 PM
just posting to for erin to let you know that jerry is fine. the urine test did not show crystal or stones but the white blood sell count was high which could be because he is fighting off a infection. the vet is going to run the urine test again in a couple of weeks if there are still abnormal white blood sell count then he is going to do blood tests.
jerry is doing well though at present.
#
glenys
Thanks for the update on Jerry, Glenys ........ please give our best wishes to Erin.

dandysmom
13-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Glad to hear Jerry's doing well. Thanks fr letting us know.

Kazz
13-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Glad to hear Jarry is doing good.

Glenys
15-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Hi guys, no problem really :) spoke with erin again today and jerry is still fine back to his normal aloof self same can't be said for my baby she has bad ears and throat totally deaf in her right ear at the moment but she had dr jerry keeping an eye on her so she's in good hands or should I say poors lol. Ill be keeping you updated on both the patiences

alexgirl73
15-09-2009, 08:57 PM
thank you for keeping us updated Glenys, poor Erin, hope she feels better soon xx

Moli
15-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Poor Erin, please tell her I am asking for her....Glad to hear Jerry is back to normal though..

dandysmom
15-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Good news, bad news! Sorry Erin's so poorly, sending get well vibes!

Mags
15-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Good to hear Jerry is back to normal now...

I do hope Erin will feel better soon ...... get well wishes to her..

catwoman999
15-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Hows Jerry taking to the new puppy in the house?
Hope it doesn't stress him out and make his stress condition worse! Urinary cats don't take too well to yet another change when he is already struggling.
Fingers crossed for the wee guy! x

Erin
15-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Hows Jerry taking to the new puppy in the house?

Hes coping absolutely fine thankyou :)

Hope it doesn't stress him out and make his stress condition worse! Urinary cats don't take too well to yet another change when he is already struggling.

If his condition flares up again, he will get the treatment he needs

Fingers crossed for the wee guy! x

Yes fingers crossed (that it doesnt flare up again) indeed.

Right just to put the record straight.......

Emma, who I am renting a room off as a puppy. It was brought for her by her fiance for her birthday. The puppy came last sunday.
Yes bad timing for Jerry, but as people keep telling me, he will adjust to all the changes just may take some time. As most of you all ready know, Jerry lived with 2 dogs up untill Jan this year, so this is not something that is totally new to him. Jerry is getting on just fine, back to his usual self.

Also can I point out again that I rent a room of Emma, if she would like a dog, who am I to tell her that she cant?

Kazz
16-09-2009, 05:47 PM
What sort of pup has Emma got????

Erin
16-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Shes got a bagle Kazz

dandysmom
16-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Erm ......... do you mean beagle??

Erin
16-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Erm ......... do you mean beagle??

:oops: :lol: yes thats exactly what I mean eileen, this is no excuse but the key board really is playing up on this pc haha, i nearmally have to go back and edit but didnt notice that haha

dandysmom
16-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Lol, no problema! I don't like bagels anyway, too chewy!

MrsH
16-09-2009, 10:04 PM
There's a super little beagle at our dog club, I really love him, so eager to please and alert. I don't know the breed at all well, but if he's a standard example they're terrific.

Kazz
17-09-2009, 05:17 PM
I like Beagle they are not for me though but I've known two one who met through the aguility club when Sal was younger a lovely lovely dog. The other lives round the corner and boy does this thing bark...howl..bay..when left alone. Which they do because the lady works part time I think, but they hardly walk the poor thing at all one walk round the block about 6 on an extending lead...about 10 miniutes tops...so I imagine its bored stupid.:cry: But the dog himself is lovely but getting more and more hyper every time I see him...

angelwings
17-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Multiple account holder Erin. Glenys and Erin are one in the same. Nawty Erin, you have two Catsey accounts. Posting as your mother lol

Erin
17-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Multiple account holder Erin. Glenys and Erin are one in the same. Nawty Erin, you have two Catsey accounts. Posting as your mother lol

glenys is my mother you can ask many people here :roll: elaine has actually met her. jeeze ill get her to come on line now for you,how pathetic :roll:

Glenys
17-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Here I am just getting ready to go a visit my daughters father in hospital and she rings me and tells me about this anglewings I'm glenys erins mom pleased to meet you, now can I go and get on with my plans please, nothing more to prove.