PDA

View Full Version : CRF cat with cancer - food problems?

eden
21-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi. George my 17 year old who has had CRF for 20 months and a slow growing tissue cancer on his leg is now having eating issues. He seems hungry and will eat a couple of mouthfuls but then stops, even his favs like white fish and fresh chicken. Keeps licking and playing with his mouth and has vomited undigested food a couple of times. On Fortekor and phos binders. To all outside intents and purpose he looks bonny, happy, a big boy, and not ill at all but I want to nip this in the bud asap.

My vet saw him yesterday and treated with antibiotics as his gums were sore to see if that is the problem. No diff today and having done some research I'm thinking it might be stomach acid problems. Am taking him back Monday for more discussion meanwhile...

1. any ideas on foods I can tempt him with?? he had a little a/d this morning.

2. I keep reading about slippery elm bark.... can anyone recommend its use and if so what dosage and how best administered? If you have used it how long before you noticed improvements?

Thanks

farthing
21-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Sorry to hear about your cat.
The antibiotics will take a couple of days to kick in, so his teeth could be the problem.
If it is stomach acid you can give zantac, our Candy and Misty both had it when they were being sick due to stomach acid and it did help, it must be given half an hour before feeding and your vet will be able to give you the dosage. It would be worth checking it won't interfere with the antibiotics though.
I have no idea about slippery elm, but I think Elaine has used it so she will be able to advise.:)

Have you tried feeding small amounts often, it might also help prevent the acid build up.

angieh
21-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your cat - I have used slippery elm as it was recommended to me by Elaine. I bought the organic capsules and opened them up and mixed with boiled water and allowed to cool. It goes a bit pink and mucilaginous and used to syringe in about 5mls x 3 daily. It certainly helped with the vomiting.

Here (http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=slipperyelm) is a useful link. Good luck.

catwoman999
21-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Also, raising the cats food/water bowls from the floor, and sitting them on top of a thick book, helps with the cats acid reflux ;)
Healing cat kisses coming your way!

catwoman999
21-08-2009, 02:44 PM
'Tanya's feline CRF information centre' on the internet is an amazing website, with loads of good hints at getting these cats to eat!

Elaine
21-08-2009, 09:13 PM
I agree that raising food and water bowls help enormously with the reflux of excess acid. Also agree that feeding little and often is also a good thing.
With regards to SEB, I fully advocate it's use for a variety of issues suchh as upset tummies, constipation, digestie problems and also mouth ulcers etc.
Please d read felinecrf.org as it was a liife saver for me and my old boy.

eden
21-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks for responses.

Good news. He ate a decent meal tonight. I raised his dishes up as suggested. Hoping he keeps it down...

Can a vet def diagnose excess stomach acid (i.e. tests) or is it an educated guess?

Tried mixing the Slippery Elm Bark powder straight into a bit of food but that was a no-no. Does anyone know a contact in the UK where I can get some small gel caps to fill with it??? He takes pills ok usual.

Elaine
21-08-2009, 10:14 PM
What I used to do was to boil about a cup of water, add the slippery elm bark and simmer until it formed a sort of syrup. Let it cool and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days but once cooled it can be used via a syringe into the side of the mouth. Your vet would be able to provide you with syringes.
Some cats will take it straight from food but it does have a slight bitter taste so not all cats will take it freely on food.

moonstone
22-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Hi;) I also have a CRF catm(bobby) who is on Fortekor plus ABX for dental problems:( (she is 18)she has been put on K/D prescription diet food which she is refusing to eat too:(
I have changed the hill,s for Royal Canin with no luck so am just giving her her normal pouches :( the vets are ordering in some Royal Canin dried food for her to try:D
I too am feeling desperate to get her to eat something other than the ordinary food as she is supposed to be on presciption:( I have tried mixing the diet with normal but she just picks at it:?
You have my sympathy:(
ShanX

eden
22-08-2009, 06:16 PM
I actually gave up on the 'renal food' about a year ago after trying every version known to man and getting myself and my cat very stressed. I decided his quality of life was more important and started using phosphorous binder in whatever he liked to eat - its been very successful and his phos levels have slowly gone down and are lower than they have been since diagnosis 20 months ago.

Still doing well today has had 2 decent meals so maybe was the sore mouth after all! Found a supplier of empty gel caps and will be experimenting with the stripped bark though as everything I read on it sounds beneficial.

Elaine
22-08-2009, 06:38 PM
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=25488

Moonstone, please discuss the use of phos binders with your vet, dry food will impair the kidneys further, even if it is prescription food as cats dont take in enough fluids.