PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a new vet

Elaine
21-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Can any one in the Aberdeen area recomend a good vet? I am looking for one who is open to discussion and who wont talk down to me. They must have a good knowledge of cats and stress issues.
I wont go into details on a public board but I have recently lost all faith in my vet and the receptionists capabilities at my current practice.

dinahsmum
21-08-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Elaine.
And no, of course, I can't help you; bit far away Sorry :(

angieh
21-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Very sorry to hear that Elaine - no help from me, much too far away!

Kazz
21-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Nope...as the others I am too far away.
Can any of your clients suggest a vet they are happy with?
Karen

dinahsmum
21-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Good thinking Kazz

farthing
21-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Obviously I would recommend my vet, they are pretty up to date with new treatment, its a young aged practice so very energetic and positive.
Not sure how they are with stress issues and initally it may feel they talk down to you but once they are aware you are knowledgable are very receptive, and the receptionists are lovely!

I'm sorry you are having problems where you are, I always found the 2 main vets, while they were at our vets helpful.

catwoman999
21-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Oh, Elaine I am so sorry that your vet has let you down!
I am in Edinburgh, but don't know any vets in Aberdeen...
I will ask around, but what is good for one is not good for another :(
I was let down very BADLY by a vet last year, which resulted in my cat dying (pts) due to his mistake. And I will NEVER go to them again. Its a public forum so I will not go into the details either (did so before and got stick for it on another forum and abuse from members, so won't do that again).
Sometimes vets don't like their 'clients' to be knowledgable, and that can cause bumping egos lol.

Moli
21-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Pity you are so far from me, my vet is brilliant!

dandysmom
21-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Sorry to hear this, Elaine; good luck in your search for a more compatible practice.

Kazz
21-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Pity you are so far from me, my vet is brilliant!

Could your vet reccomend a vet in Elaine's area Moli?

Kazz
21-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Elaine why not make a list of vets in your area (distnace you are willing to travel) then ring them and ask to speak to them prior to joining.....I figure you can tell a lot about the vets by the receptionist staff.....I like Sal adore mine...but it makes a difference, to be remembered when you walk through the door, I know they can look you up and see what time your appointment is but its a nice touch to be called by name and the animal to be called by name.

Make an appointment and visit them just pop into the reception area or even look really sus and loitter outside when they are open and engage someone going in or out in conversation....

pcspik
21-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Unfortunately I am nowhere near you, but with the death of my cat last year I changed practices because there were some things that I did not like.

I agree with Kazz, have a look around at local vets. If you are involved with your local CP, ask what vets they use. They also used to use the one that I used to be registered with, and they changed it to the current one that I use.

Liz
21-08-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm with farthing on this our vet in Inverurie is wonderful - they saved Baileys life last week when he was so ill and treat our ferals with care and listen to us when we advise on the crush cage and they are great with the dogs and happily fit us in with any ferals we have trapped

All the staff including the receptionists are great and all are very friendly

farthing
21-08-2009, 08:19 PM
The receptionist in Kintore is even nicer.;)

Erin
21-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanx all. My sister is with the Inverurie practice and speaks highly of them but I think that might be a little too far to travel bearing in mind Eva and how upset she gets.

I have made a list to call and talk to but just wondered if any one in the Aberdeen area may have known of a vet near me that they would recomend.

Ooops, am round at Erins and didnt realise I am logged in under her name.

Moli
21-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Could your vet reccomend a vet in Elaine's area Moli?
Not really Kazz, Lainey is a good 25 miles away from me...

Kazz
21-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Not really Kazz, Lainey is a good 25 miles away from me...
Well one of you needs to move then preferably the one without the decent vet....;)

Liz
22-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Have heard some good reviews about a vet at Kingswells - my mates sisters dog has more allergies and then some and the vet has been fab with the dog - a wee bit closer

farthing have only been to Kintore once with Bailey - to much open space for our freaky ferals if they decide to go on a wall of death - Inverurie surgeries are smaller and less wall to try and get them back in the box!

Moli
22-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Well one of you needs to move then preferably the one without the decent vet....;)
Keep telling her to move nearer me...My vet is really good, been with her 15 years and never had a bad moment with her....:)

Elaine
22-08-2009, 06:54 PM
May not jump ship just yet. Have looked into the Arden house at Kingswells Liz, looks like a very good practice and very modern too.

Phoenix
22-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Can't help you Elaine, too far away. The vet we are with is good, receptionists friendly and Dylan loves :smt049 everyone at the practice.