PDA

View Full Version : What would you do.

farthing
20-08-2009, 08:27 PM
I like to think I am quite logical and a realist, however I wonder if that is really true.

We have Deli, Tabatha and Misty in for their boosters tomorrow.

Deli is a 13 year old dalmation in liver failure, her liver enzymes are at least 10 times above normal.

Misty is a 20 year old cat in CRF.

Tabatha is a 14 year old cat, with FIV and a hyperthyroid, which is so out of control we are not sure how we are going to proceed- she is on the highest allowed dose of meds at the moment, but if her results are still high we have some decisions to make- do we risk and op or leave her.

Jess, our bun with an abscess is likely to have this as an ongoing problem, an isn't out of the woods yet with this one.

Anyway, the logical part of me says it is daft to continue vaccinating them, as realistically they don't have long left with us. The hopeful side says who knows how things will go and I would feel like I was giving up on them and no longer caring.
They will be vaccinated regardless, because I never give up hope, BUT what would you do!

I don't mean any judgements to be made here, but I'm interested as to how people think, I can see both sides as I've said.

EmmaG
20-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Well me personally - I think it is even more important to vaccinate when your animals are getting older as they are more likely to getting viruses and not fight them off. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I didn't and one of them died through not getting them vaccinated.

Elaine
20-08-2009, 08:41 PM
My personal view is that we over vaccinate our pets. But tbh Louise I am really not sure what I'd do in your position.

angieh
20-08-2009, 10:40 PM
If the actual chemical makeup of the booster doesn't compromise their already dodgy physical situation, and I think a person would have to be able to trust their vet's advise on that unless they know about it themselves, then I'd go ahead and have it done.

dandysmom
20-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Hard decision, but I agree with Angie here .......

Tanya
21-08-2009, 12:52 AM
I'm not sure what I would do ... but Oli had an allergic reaction to his second year vaccination, so we had to stop him having them. Since, he has become quite ill and I feel quite guilty even though I know its not me preventing him from having the jab.

Goodluck with whatever decision you make. xx

Sequeena
21-08-2009, 07:44 AM
If the booster isn't going to make them worse I would go for it x

I have had no experience with any of those illnesses but at one point the vet thought two of our cats had FIV. It's horrible :(

farthing
21-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Well, the animal have had their vaccines. I spoke to the vet and he said that he felt it was more important to protect them from the diseases- especially Deli, who goes outside and we occasionally look after friends dogs and Tabatha being FIV positive has a lower immune system so needs more protection. He doesn't feel being in organ failure should cause any issues when they have been vaccinated regularly without a problem.

The great news is Deli's liver results have halved, we don't know why but it is such good news. Misty's bloods are pretty much the same, Tabatha's thyroid results will be sent off, but the vet has spoken to the company who make the meds she is on, and we can increase her dose a bit more if needed. He also mentioned a new medication which is an anti viral drug that goes in the food, so they are going to look into it for Tabatha. All in all, a good day.:D

borderdawn
21-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Not a chance Id vaccinate pets like that. I dont vaccinate after first kitten/puppy vaccs any more, way too many auto immune problems in pets caused by it.

farthing
21-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Have you looked into what the diseases can do!

borderdawn
21-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Have you looked into what the diseases can do!
Yes I have, have you looking into over vaccination and what that can do? ;)

borderdawn
21-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Dont forget up untill recently everything should be boosted each year, weird though Vets changed their minds lately to every third year, why was that??

farthing
21-08-2009, 09:05 PM
I suspect it was the companies who produce the vaccines rather than the vets who decided on a 3 yearly plan and that is only for distemper.

I haven't really studied what 'over vaccination ' does because I have had no problems and working in a vet know of very few clients who have, I can think of one who blames vaccination for problems.
I do, however remember when people didn't tend to vaccinate and dogs were dying weekly with distemper, and in fact we nearly lost our first puppy to parvo before the vaccine was developed. The reason these diseases are seldom heard of now is because of the vaccination programme.
I certainly would not risk my cats catching Felv and if there was a vaccine for FIV I would happily do it every 6 months if they said it was needed to avoid losing an animal to it, which I have already done.

To my mind the slight risk of a reaction to the vaccine far outweights the risk of these diseases rearing their heads again because people don't do it any more. If the number of people vaccinating drops below 70%, we can expect outbreaks of these diseases, not a very low percentage. All our vets vaccinate their own animals, if they didn't believe in it they wouldn't bother, would they? I wonder if there was an outbreak how many people would start vaccinating again.

borderdawn
21-08-2009, 09:16 PM
I suspect it was the companies who produce the vaccine rather than the vet who decided and that is only for distemper.

Yes but that was MUCH earlier than most Vets would impliment it, we see the evidence for ourselves every day. Try looking for yourself at your own cards for your dog see what it says. While your at it, see if your Vet charges you for 2 vaccs as opposed to 8 two years running! ;)

I haven't really studied what 'over vaccination ' does because I have had no problems and working in a vet know of very few clients who have, I can think of one who blames vaccination for problems. You should, and of course a Vet would never admit his bread and butter was to blame, you must remember that a Vet should only vaccinate a HEALTHY animal, (manufacturers guidelines) can you say that for your Vet?

I do, however remember when people didn't tend to veccinate and dogs were dying weekly with distemper, and in fact we nearly lost our first puppy to parvo before the vaccine was developed. The reason these diseases are seldom heard of now is because of the vaccination programme. Really? thats a great assumption. :-D

I certainly would not risk my cats catching Felv and if there was a vaccine for FIV I would happily do it every 6 months if they said it was needed to avoid losing an animal to it, which I have already done Neither would I, which is why they are secure on my property and not allowed to roam where feral and possibly infected Cats are straying.:)

To my mind the slight risk of a reaction to the vacine far outweights the risk of these disease rearing their heads again because people don't do it any more. If the number of people vaccinating drops below 70%, we can expect outbreaks of these disease, not a very low percentage. All our vets vaccinate their own animals, if they didn't believe in it they wouldn't bother, would they? I wonder if there was an outbreak how many people would start vaccinating again.

So you now say there is a slight risk? its a bit more than slight though. ;)

Please back up your percentage statements, they mean nothing without proof.

borderdawn
21-08-2009, 09:18 PM
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/petvacc.htm

http://www.vaccinationnews.com/dailynews/2003/May/09/IsYourPet9.htm

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/ABC_News_Vaccine_Article.htm

http://users.on.net/~peter.hart/Over-vaccination%20of%20pets%20-%20an%20unethical%20practice%20(2).pdf

Just a few......

Kazz
21-08-2009, 09:50 PM
I don't think I would vaccinate if your gang were mine I did not get the cats boosters....stopped when they were about 3 I think....but Sal still gets hers mostly because finding a decent kennels if the need arose would be impossible without the boosters (although she has never been kenneled)....does your boarding kennels take dogs withut boosters in place then Dawn?

borderdawn
21-08-2009, 09:52 PM
I don't think I would vaccinate if your gang were mine I did not get the cats boosters....stopped when they were about 3 I think....but Sal still gets hers mostly because finding a decent kennels if the need arose would be impossible without the boosters (although she has never been kenneled)....does your boarding kennels take dogs withut boosters in place then Dawn?
No Kazz, we have to abide by the lisencing laws, the council laws and the boarding establishment act, NONE of which are medically qualified. we have no option.

random
22-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Not a chance Id vaccinate pets like that. I dont vaccinate after first kitten/puppy vaccs any more, way too many auto immune problems in pets caused by it.

Me neither, bu$$er getting them into kennels though without them...

Luke
23-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Same as Dawn and Kel, and I have people petsit should we go away instead. One of the dogs got chronic blood content dire-rear and got seriously ill with dehydration etc after her puppy vacs, and Clementine back in the day had a horrible skin reaction where the whole area around the site of the jab swelled up and was quite disgusting. No all of ours get puppy n kitten ones and thats it, and even then I panic like crazy through fear of reactions.