PDA

View Full Version : Are cats solitary or social or perhaps both?

nomadicbry
19-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi

My first post. Been watching the boards for a while and have picked up some useful tips and info...Thanks. We have just got a wee kitten (called Millie) from a friend's cat's litter. There was one left (a tom) and we considered taking it also but decided against it and it got me wondering. Are cats happy on their own. they seem to be quite solitary when adult, that is, you rarely see a group of cats hanging around street corners so to speak except when one is in season.

Is it better to have two cats or will the cat be just as happy by itself and have human playmates instead (my kids love playing with her).

I would be ntereted in your thoughts on this

Cheers,
B

Moli
19-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Think it depends on the cat....I have 5 cats, 2 of which are joined at the hip, the other 3 are more solitary.....But at times will play together..

MadCatLady
19-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Hello & welcome! :smt039

I now have 8 fab Felines in my tribe... sometimes they all get on & sometimes they don't... 4 play together all the time but Bear my dominant male only wants his Ma! ;)

Often 2 keep each other company if you are out working... Just make sure you spey & neuter! :smt023

Elaine
19-08-2009, 07:30 PM
It probably depends on the individual cat but that said cats do adapt and live together hence feral colonies.
I am not convinced that cats are solitary creatures, solitary hunters yes.

dandysmom
19-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Most cats are quite self sufficient by themselves; some are perfectly happy being an only cat, others like a feline companion or so. Elaine mentioned feral colonies, which I was going to.

Welcome to Catsey, BTW; why not post in the Introductions so we can give you a proper welcome, and hear about Millie! You probably know if you've been reading here that we love pics!

Leesy
19-08-2009, 09:47 PM
I think cats are perhaps a bit of both, my 2 cats are half brother and sister with only 3 mnths apart in age and they totaly love being with each other.
They love to play and sleep together, and wash each other but they do also at times like to have a bit of their own space.
I think I enjoy the fact that I have 2 as they are so much fun to watch when they are together it is enthralling watching them play and often has us all in stitches.:D

dandysmom
19-08-2009, 10:10 PM
I've never had more than three together; personally think two is ideal; but my girl is determied to be an only cat!! :roll:

angieh
20-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Hi there nomadicbry! I have just brought a nine week old kitten into a house where the resident girl (about 2) has been living for just over 3 months. I thought she needed a playmate ................ they haven't bonded yet but this is only their second full day. I have my fingers and toes crossed.

You pose a very interesting question and I also wonder whether various breeds of cat are more or less likely to be happy with a friend. For example, I have heard that Siamese cats are better off in pairs. Not sure how true that is.

random
20-08-2009, 01:43 PM
I think it depends on the individual cat.

Angie, funny you should say that as Kiara is one of mine who would struggle with being an only cat, her and Princess are always together. Vitaani I think would be just fine, she likes her own space.

farthing
20-08-2009, 02:13 PM
i think cats are more social than we think, and in a 'feral' society you have entire animals, living with offspring and siblings, and there is an estabilised heirarchy.

We take in cats, neuter then ( rightly so) and add 'strangers' to the group every so often, which is where I think the problems start and we then think they are solitary.
By my way of thinking a truely solitary animal would not relate to humans as part of their family and show affection in the way that they do.

Elaine
20-08-2009, 04:31 PM
i think cats are more social than we think, and in a 'feral' society you have entire animals, living with offspring and siblings, and there is an estabilised heirarchy.

We take in cats, neuter then ( rightly so) and add 'strangers' to the group every so often, which is where I think the problems start and we then think they are solitary.
By my way of thinking a truely solitary animal would not relate to humans as part of their family and show affection in the way that they do.

I would agree with that Louise.

Kim
20-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Hi and welcome to Catsey.

I have 4 cats and they are all pretty much independent of each other and solitary, although at times do spend time together. Apart from a tabbie and tortie I had who were in love! lol - my personal experience is that cats are generally solitary animals.

MadCatLady
20-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Well..... As i have mentioned before I believe my Fab Feline Tribe work so well, even though they are from different areas, backgrounds & age brackets because i have the most fabulous Dominant Male .... RigbyBigBear with no willie there! ;) I think it works if the heirachy works... SashaBella Psychohussey & Evil Wheebobalina tand to be solitary & only want mums attention... the boys are just boys!! :roll:

Kim
20-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Just to clarify, my cats all love and crave human affection and company, but I feel they do not need other feline company.

nomadicbry
21-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Cheers guys quite intersting replies.
The last cat has nowbeen taken so we wont be having it and our kittie will be on it's own. however I'm about to fit a cat flap so it'll be able to come and go as it pleases.

What was interesting is that my partner's mother had two cats who pretty much avoided and had no time at all for each other. i think one was pretty dominant over the other but they were a bit strange to be honest. My firend on the other hand has more than a few who are all very social. What really suprised me was when one of the cat's offspring came back 4 months later (owners went on holiday) the mother instantly started to suckle her again and care for her... quite amazing thing to see.

Anyway cheers for the responses and I'll try and post a pick soon

Cheers,
B