PDA

View Full Version : help manic cat.

patsy
19-08-2009, 09:25 AM
:cat2 I have been away for a couple of days, and my son and daughter have been looking after Kendra my 19mth old Tortie. Iam due to go away again for 10 days, the problem is she has got a major problem with the word no. If she is not fed, let out or even loved on demand then she will attack the ankles of the offender mainly me. She has even dived on me whilst I've been sitting on the sofa, a ball of teeth and claws. She was never like this before.

dinahsmum
19-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Is this a new problem since you went away?
Have your children been teasing her maybe?
Parhaps she would be better in a cattery?

Leesy
19-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Must admit DM that was my initial thought about if she had been teased by the children:? .
How old are your children Patsy it could be that they may be just a little bit to young to actually take on the responsibilty of looking after a cat.

patsy
19-08-2009, 01:08 PM
No its not that she is actually my son's cat but he moved out. He is 21 and my daughter is 20. They both adore her and play with her quite a lot. We have had her since she was weaned. I think it is probably my fault as I do tend to jump when she wants something, as they both work she has not had the attention she is used to. Im beginning to think I have spoilt her. I think she might settle once her routine of her calling and me running is restored.

MadCatLady
20-08-2009, 09:28 PM
OK... big learning curve here... all cats at approx 16-20 months hit adolesence and need a bit more discipline... and /or entertainment!!! :-D

I would never condone hurting an animal but I do emmulate their elders behaviour to help them learn the do's & don't of life in the Feline Tribe household!! :twisted:

If you watch an adult cat when they are disciplining a younger one they nip them, short sharp shock treatment... I have learnt that a gentle flick to the ear (lots of nerve endings in the ears & less likely to get a mouthful of fur!:lol: ) will distract them from what they are doing long enough to be scolded with a sharp 'NO!!' ;)

Have fun though!!!

patsy
29-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Hi sorry I have'nt replied but just got back from 10 day break. Suggested idea of cattery to son and daughter was meet with cries of not on your life, they then took turns to put their life on hold to stay here so Kendra had all the company and attention she wanted, and now seems a lot calmer. As for the suggestion of flicking her ears, not in a million years. I am a firm believer in patience and calm controlled disipline. (children some time out in their room--cats ignoring them for a short while) Any way for a Tortie she is extremley loving.:D

dandysmom
29-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Good to hear she's calmer. Torties will be torties!

pcspik
29-08-2009, 09:29 PM
If she continues in this behaviour I would get a small water pistol and give her a quick spray her with it. Just make sure that she does not see you (or whoever it is) spraying her. I find that has helped with my cats in the past.

FayRose
30-08-2009, 11:34 AM
We went through some similar shenanigans with Biggles when he was younger, though he didn't leap on us, he would pounce on bare feet and bite our toes, yelling all the while.
It took me quite a long time (being a bit slow on the uptake feline-wise) to realise that the soppy lad was asking for attention. Once I touched him he would - and still does - roll upside down and actually roll along the floor while having his tum tickled. :lol: He purrs so much he dribbles ..... nice eh? :roll:

patsy
30-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks to every one for their advice, I know I can spoil Kendra sometimes but thats what granma's (as my son insists on calling me) are for. Yes I know she is a cat!.:-D