PDA

View Full Version : Is it fair ???

laragreg
19-08-2009, 09:19 AM
:? is it fair that someone has found a cat and is just going to keep it ??

The person has taken the cat to the vet to see if its chipped it isn't... so can they just keep it :? .

I don't think is fair, I would do what I could to find the owners, I know what its like to have a cat go missing as some of you might remember peaches and cream went missing in december and still has not been found :cry: .

Leesy
19-08-2009, 10:50 AM
I am not to sure on that score Lara, I do think to be fair to both the cats and their owners all cats should be chipped as soon as they get them even if they are going to be indoor cats (as escapes do happen), then that would stop this dilema from happening.
But I do think that she should ask around first and see.

louise_81
19-08-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't think it is fair! I have to say my priority was to get the girls chipped as soon as, as Leesy said escapes do happen. But as we are all human the person OP is on about should really do all they can to reunite the cat with its owner. Obviously with microchipp ruled out, They really should inform as many local rescues and vets as possible and possibly put some poster up locally

laragreg
19-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Microchipping is so important.... and this just shows how important it is, Its just I dont feel that enough has been done to find the owners.... they could be soooo upset.

louise_81
19-08-2009, 11:54 AM
even my rabbits are chipped!!

angieh
19-08-2009, 12:15 PM
I am sure the "official" rescues do all necessary to find an owner and I do agree that microchipping is essential.

Many years ago, I was in the position where a stray cat came to my home and I took her in. I certainly asked the neighbours and put a postcard in the window of the corner shop, but to no avail. I kept her - my lovely Smudge.

Now I am in the position of having adopted a cat from a rescue. I have to trust that they did all they could to trace her owner, but I do admit that I often wonder whether she had a caring family somewhere - but they didn't chip her for whatever reason.

IMO an individual SHOULD inform any local vets, and rescues, perhaps ask their immediate neighbours - and if there is a local paper or shop put up a Found sign. Beyond that I don't see what other reasonable action they should take. Neither am I sure if there is any time limit before the person could say with a free conscience, "s/he's mine now".

catwoman999
19-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Micro-chips aren't 100% either... They can migrate around the body under the skin... ie. we found a micro-chip in a cats back paw :o tail :shock: etc. So really the WHOLE body should be scanned, not just neck, back and front legs... Sometimes chipped cats, are chipped then years later it wanders around body then can't be found, and has to be re-chipped... Bet the vets didn't tell you that one...
:mad:
And no, she shouldn't keep the cat until she has contacted every possible animal centre, posted posters saying it has been found etc. before keeping it!!!! Even place advert in local newspaper to say it has been found!!!

dinahsmum
19-08-2009, 12:23 PM
i agree that every effort should be made to find the original owner.

However - has the original owner made every effort to find their cat. You say that the cat was scanned for a microchip - where? At a vets? At a rescue? Surely those places hold lists of lost pets and would compare the stray before them with those on their list. So, has the first owner tried very hard?

Having had a cat lost for 6 weeks, I would be comforted if I thought he had found a lovely new home, rather than been killed or injured and never found. However, mine was chipped and I contacted vats and rescues asking for him to be registered. He was returned safe and sound - and I gave the finder a generous reward.

Theer are usually 2 sides to any case

louise_81
19-08-2009, 12:52 PM
OP did say the cat in question didn't scan for a chip

dinahsmum
19-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Edit.
Sorry - nothing more to say .... I misread Louise and responded on that basis. It wasn't relevant so i've deleted

farthing
19-08-2009, 02:39 PM
I think legally the animal must be advertised for a week, before it can be kept by anybody else.

Moli
19-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Think she should try to find its owner, they could be searching for it....I would advertise, in the papers, put up flyers even the local radio....

dandysmom
19-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I am partially guilty on that count. Many years ago I found Misty as a little lost kitten wandering about the neighborhood (found out later she'd been doing it for quite some time). I took her in, put up notices all around the neighborhood and asked people. Back then I'd never heard of microchipping, it was not common here . I also checked the papers for a "lost kitten" notice. So, after about 10 days I was in love with her, took down the signs and kept her .....for 20 years!

I wouldn't do it today, would go the vet/microchipping route. But truthfully I'm not sorry I kept her.

louise_81
20-08-2009, 12:44 AM
I don't think Laragreg is saying her friend should not keep the cat, but that her friend should search a bit harder for its previous owners. I'm sure if her friend had exacerbated all route she would be happy that the kitty has landed on its paws. (Correct me if I am wrong, Please)

pcspik
21-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Legally the position for rescue is for 10 days, unless it is chipped.

I agree with the others: ask at any vets within the county (or if you live near another county, any ones located in that too within a reasonable distance), phone local rescues and ask neighbours and anyone in the local vicinity. Cats have been known to wander into vans, so once those venues have been exhausted then I would consider it mine.

But in reality, once you have heard nothing for a month I would consider it mine. For example we had once at our local CP a cat that had been handed into the vet severely injured. Although they checked the lost & found register and asked local vets, no owner came forward until a month later they put the cat in the local newspaper. The owner recognised the cat (they thought she was dead) and so the cat was returned back to her.

Also as I have said before: the chances could be that the owner is on holiday. If they are relying on a neighbour then that neighbour may not know what to do if a cat is lost and may be waiting until the owner comes back. That means 2 weeks may be gone before the owner makes any enquiries: by then someone could have taken her in. So it makes sense until a month has gone before claiming any cat as their own.

Tortoises can be chipped (but they have to be a certain weight and age) and so can ferrets.

jan
22-08-2009, 02:34 PM
My Felix was found at roughly 9 weeks in a garage in Leicester on a busy council estate. He had fallen in the roof and it was the hottest day of the year about 90 degrees F. He was skinny, covered in fleas and had a blue collar on, no tag and not micro chipped. My daughters then boyfriend s little brother passed the garage and heard meowing, somehow got in and rescued him and took him home. My daughter begged me to have him but as I had 4 cats already I refused initially and relented to say I would have him over the weekend as my local animal rescue said they could nt take him til the Monday (this being Saturday evening ) and the rottweiller at my daughters boyfriends was terrifying the little kitten. So he arrived, and he stayed. And I am so glad as he is a beautiful friendly huge ball of fluff. I took him to the vets and no, not chipped. I then forgot it as I thought whoever let him out so young to get lost on busy roads in the middle of leicester did nt deserve to have him. He was thin as I said and covered in fleas. Monday I got him advantage, by a week or two he had filled out. No, I am not sorry I kept him as I think he has a better loving and caring home than he seemed, upon evidence of my eyes, to have had. I did feel sorry for whoever had lost him to a degree but my daughter said no one had advertised round where he was found and he most certainly would have died in that heat very quickly had this little boy not heard him meowing. He was dehydrated when he arrived to me and drank gallons water. I am very glad he was rescued and found his home here to be honest. Jan x

dandysmom
22-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Jan, I agree you did the right thing there! I didn't say in my previous post that when I found Misty it was in the dead of Winter and snow/sleet was in the forecast. Anyone who'd let a kitten out in that sort of weather (she'd been wandering for several days) and not post "Lost Kitten" signs or take other steps didn't really deserve her IMO. And traffic is very bad on our street.

Sequeena
22-08-2009, 04:59 PM
I think every avenue should be explored before they decide to keep the cat but there are some awful people in this world who go out solely for getting a cat and pick one up that they like the look of.

On the other hand cats should be tattooed and/or microchipped like dogs are. Collars I'm not too sure about as Lucius often went out with a collar and got stuck on branches etc so we decided to take them off him. All our cats stay close to home though.

kado
22-08-2009, 08:09 PM
When i found my maisey i tried everything i could do as i did with gabby 2wks later. I informed all the rescue's, vets and pdsa and rspca in and not one cat had been lost. I took maisey to my vets and she isnt chipped at all. She was seen dumped in the local park and somehow dound my house. The RSPCA told me when i reported gabby that its 28 days from when you report them and then legaly the animal is in your ownership. All my boys are chipped i wouldnt let them out otherwise.

pcspik
22-08-2009, 11:01 PM
I think there is a difference between finding one that is perfectly healthy (or a tiny bit thin) and one that is in a shocking state. If a cat is not reported missing and obviously not chipped (or wearing a collar with an address tag) but in a shocking state then if an owner is not found within 10 days then there would not be any qualms about keeping it.

But if the cat is perfectly healthy, and no obvious owner is found, despite all reasonable attempts to find one, then after a month I think it would be considered "yours".