PDA

View Full Version : Kitten Gone Off Wet Food

Sugarant
15-08-2009, 05:53 PM
When we got our kitten, the CP lady said that he was on James Wellbeloved dry food and Whiskas wet food so we continued that. The last two weeks however, he's gone off the wet food. He'll go so far as to lick the gravy/jelly off, but he leaves the rest to go dry. We've tried trickle feeding him both the biscuit and the wet food but he simply gobbles up the dry food in a few minutes, then cries for more and ignores the Whiskas when we give it to him.

I'm not sure whether to continue offering him wet food or just accept that he only likes dry food from now on. I can't help but think it's a bit boring for him but if that's what he wants... Do cats go on and off food? Is a dry-only diet as healthy as a mixed one?

angieh
15-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Have you tried your kitten on any other wet food Sugarant? And does your kitten drink water?

Elaine
15-08-2009, 06:10 PM
I'd maybe try another brand of kitten food.
I personally am not a fan of a dry only diet as i feel it makes the kidneys work too hard even if they do drink water.

Sugarant
15-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Yes, he drinks quite a bit of water. I haven't tried any other yet because our local pet store doesn't stock any other brand of specific kitten food and I wasn't sure whether ordinary cat food would do. Am very new to cat owning!

MadCatLady
15-08-2009, 09:40 PM
OK.. other food to try!!!
[link removed]

Try Hills or felix or RCW all really good for kittens and all have adult versions to move them onto.... Use our link and it's delivered to your door too with FREE P&P if you orcer over £30 worth of food... easy to do when you know which one they like... so buy some small bags of each in dry & some foils of each in wet and mix them together (wet & dry of same brand) also try a water fountain which will increase his water intake??? (also available from the link) :-D :roll:

SageCat
15-08-2009, 11:56 PM
I agree about trying other brands ................. you can buy individual sachets of Whiskas or Felix, or supermarket own brands before paying out for the multiple boxes of them. I've always given my cats both wet and dried, and YumYum seems to have settled on Whiskas as her favourite brand of wet food, preferably the gravy ones! It's all a bit trial and error, but I'm sure he'll find one that he likes ............ eventually! :lol:

catwoman999
16-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi there,the JWB dry kitten food that your using is great and used as a complete diet. So no need for other wet type of food.... These foods are cleverly balanced to give everything your kitten needs, and mixing and adding other foods actually unbalances the kittens diet!!!!!:shock: So it is best to feed one type of food and stick to it. (Although treats are fine every so often).
I agree with Elaine that there is evidence that dry foods can cause urinary/kidney problems in SOME cats. But wet food also has its downsides, it is full of more rubbish fillers and cats fed on wet food have horrendous dental problems later in life. Though you can brush your cats teeth daily to avoid this (with cats toothpaste, never human toothpaste due to the foaming agent, as cats don't spit out after use lol).
Personally, I would stay away from supermarket shelf food! Stick with the James Wellbeloved brand, or other premium branded cat foods, as the quality of protein in them are better, and ash/phosphorus/magnesium content is lower which is better for kidneys.
Feeding your cat the right cat food can be a minefield, and EVERYBODY has a different opinion on it... Lots of people feed their cats raw meat etc. but there is even problems in doing that taurine/vitamin issues.
Good luck with your new kitten, and choice what feels right for you!!!! Do research on internet to get an overall view on foods, and go with what feels right.
I have three adult cats on James Wellbeloved dry cat food, which is wonderful for them! They are all older cats and have no kidney problems. But my other cat is on wet Royal Canin food mixed with 50% tap water, due to a urinary problem and really he should be keep well away from ALL dry foods. So, I have to brush his teeth everyday cos the wet food was causing really bad dental problems....
I had a cat who was put to sleep at the age of 21,(due to a vet mistake with meds for her) and at the age of 21 her kidneys were great and she had been on dry diet ALL her life. Though Amos is 12 and had many problems with HIS WATER WORKS on dry diet. My point is.... all cats are different and what is good for one may not be good for another. Your kittens health will guide you to the right diet... Though keep away from supermarket shelf, and buy premium from Pets at Home as you are doing with JWB!!!! Sorry post is soooo long, I am a bit of a cat food nazi, and have done ALOT of research....

MrsH
16-08-2009, 12:27 PM
My 2 cats are dry-food eaters. As kittens, I found the same problem as the OP, they would lick the gravy or jelly and ignore the meat. I tried various wet foods, all good quality, but eventually gave up the struggle and decided to feed them what I knew they would eat.

Initially they were fed Iams but after a bit of further research we changed them to JWB. They drink well and I have no qualms about their diet. There are quite a few favours in JWB and so they are still getting some variety in what they eat. My advice would be to go with what they enjoy.

Elaine
16-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Bloomin' cat food nazi's are every where:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a bit of a CRF nazi myself:lol: :lol: :lol:

catwoman999
16-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Bloomin' cat food nazi's are every where:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a bit of a CRF nazi myself:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol, I am a bit of a CRF nazi as well. Though all cat food nazi thoughts are put to one side with a CRF cat. Sometimes it is whatever you can get them to eat when they start refusing food, so as not to develop fatty liver disease. In this case the demon Whiskas is better than them not eating anything...

My brothers cat has CRF, I found Tanya's Feline CRF information centre, fantastic... I am sure you have seen it...

Can tell by your posts Elaine, that you know all about kidney disease in cats ;)

Elaine
16-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Lol, I am a bit of a CRF nazi as well. Though all cat food nazi thoughts are put to one side with a CRF cat. Sometimes it is whatever you can get them to eat when they start refusing food, so as not to develop fatty liver disease. In this case the demon Whiskas is better than them not eating anything...

My brothers cat has CRF, I found Tanya's Feline CRF information centre, fantastic... I am sure you have seen it...

Can tell by your posts Elaine, that you know all about kidney disease in cats ;)

Seen it? I can practically recite it lol, it litterally is a life saver to those with CRF cats. I am sorry about your brothers cat and I hope that it is doing well regardless.

Sorry, off topic to original post.

If you cannt get to a pet shop until tomorrow though, have you thought about maybe a little oily fish such as sardine or if you are cooking a sunday dinner, kitty may well be partial to some chicken or beef.... Just a thought.;)

Sugarant
16-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Went to our nearest Pets at Home today and got two sachets of the Science Plan wet food, as that was all they had in individual portions. So far, he likes the gravy...

I wonder why he suddenly went off the Whiskas? He'd been eating it really well right up until I bought a month's supply (thus proving that murphy's law doesn't only apply to feeding toddlers). How long does it take a cat to settle on their favourite? Or will their tastes always change from time to time?

Elaine
16-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Sadly it all depends on the cat and you. My Eva, who is now 5 years old, loved her wet kitten food but did after a time begin to favour the dry food to the wet. Previous cats and other current cat Bernie, did/will pretty much eat what ever is put out for them/him.
Eva just has to be the one thats always different, maybe she is imitating me when I was young:lol: :lol: as it just struck me that my mother always said similar things about me as I do about Eva.
I have also helped over the last few years to encourage her fussyness by pandering to her as she went on and off foods. I have also been guilty of experimenting with different foods in my quest to give her the best diet that I can.

catwoman999
16-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Went to our nearest Pets at Home today and got two sachets of the Science Plan wet food, as that was all they had in individual portions. So far, he likes the gravy...

I wonder why he suddenly went off the Whiskas? He'd been eating it really well right up until I bought a month's supply (thus proving that murphy's law doesn't only apply to feeding toddlers). How long does it take a cat to settle on their favourite? Or will their tastes always change from time to time?

There is not necessarily an answer to why cats go off certain foods. Some cats can be fussier than others unfortunately. But if the kitten loves his dry food just stick with that for now, rather than waste loads of money on wet food he isn't gonna eat. Maybe in a months time, try wet food again. By then the kitten may welcome the change :D

catwoman999
16-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Seen it? I can practically recite it lol, it litterally is a life saver to those with CRF cats. I am sorry about your brothers cat and I hope that it is doing well regardless.

Sorry, off topic to original post.

If you cannt get to a pet shop until tomorrow though, have you thought about maybe a little oily fish such as sardine or if you are cooking a sunday dinner, kitty may well be partial to some chicken or beef.... Just a thought.;)

Baba, my brothers cat is doing really well, for the moment! A year down the line...That website has saved MANY cats lives, me thinks :D
I shouldn't really say this as a a vet nurse... but... vets do not really give out enough information on how to deal with a CRF cat. They just push the drugs and the prescription diets, a shame really... I think vets should photocopy that website as a leaflet to give to owners of CRF cats. But they wouldn't, that would be admitting that some lay person knows more on the subject than them... ooooh what a bitch I am lol. You can see why I'm not a full-time Vet nurse anymore, I have way too big a mouth, vet nurses should be seen and not heard lol :oops:

MadCatLady
17-08-2009, 12:29 AM
... that would be admitting that some lay person knows more on the subject than them... ooooh what a bitch I am lol. You can see why I'm not a full-time Vet nurse anymore, I have way too big a mouth, vet nurses should be seen and not heard lol :oops:

Hey we like gobby & forthright CW999!! :-D

And no harm in helping others I say... hence why I post our link... cheaper meds than the vets and great service & helping a local rescue out too....

catwoman999
17-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Hey we like gobby & forthright CW999!! :-D

And no harm in helping others I say... hence why I post our link... cheaper meds than the vets and great service & helping a local rescue out too....

Thank you MadCatLady! I am indeed forthright and a 'wee' bit gobby. But trying to be on my best behaviour lol ;)

Hows it going with your link? Have you raised much money for your charity?

MadCatLady
17-08-2009, 02:55 AM
So so...:roll: 1% commission isn't gonna break the bank but hey it all helps.... don't forget to check out me list of stuff we need for fundraising in the wanted section!!! :twisted:

Elaine
17-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Baba, my brothers cat is doing really well, for the moment! A year down the line...That website has saved MANY cats lives, me thinks :D
I shouldn't really say this as a a vet nurse... but... vets do not really give out enough information on how to deal with a CRF cat. They just push the drugs and the prescription diets, a shame really... I think vets should photocopy that website as a leaflet to give to owners of CRF cats. But they wouldn't, that would be admitting that some lay person knows more on the subject than them... ooooh what a bitch I am lol. You can see why I'm not a full-time Vet nurse anymore, I have way too big a mouth, vet nurses should be seen and not heard lol :oops:

Oh I know and many also talk very negatively about CRF which doesnt help.

So so...:roll: 1% commission isn't gonna break the bank but hey it all helps.... don't forget to check out me list of stuff we need for fundraising in the wanted section!!! :twisted:

Sorry MCL, I have been so busy catching up around the house and my cats that I forgot to look out some stuff for you. Will get onto it today.