PDA

View Full Version : Indoor cats or outdoor cats- THAT is the question?

catwoman999
14-08-2009, 09:13 AM
I have four indoor cats, who are spoiled rotten, who keep in great health and safe from harm. They have heated beds, wicker cat bunk beds, huge scratching posts, the best cat food money can buy, toys, regular vet visits and all the love a mummy can give them. A spotless gorgeous home. They are very happy loving cats...
Statistics say indoor cats live 'almost' twice as long as outdoor cats due to RTA'S, poison, exposure to viruses, cat fights, dog baiting, air guns etc. My indoor cat Gem who was put to sleep last year was THE GRAND OLD AGE OF 21... If she had been an outdoor cat, this 'may' not have been the case...
But am I right?
I do wonder if I am depriving my fur babies of a more interesting outdoor access life. I know as a human I would rather live a further short 8 years free to go where I wish, than twenty in prison, all be it a posh one lol....
What sparked me to raise this debate, is my mums lilac point siamese was pts in May, and last week she phoned CP to adopt a stray/kitten from them,( rather than line the pockets of a breeder like last time, when sooooo many rescues need homes) but they refused her on the phone because the kitten(who had NEVER BEEN OUTSIDE ANYWAY) was gonna be an indoor cat!!! My mum is like me, and would have spoiled that wee cat rotten, have CP denied a perfect home on a flawed theory???
Discuss.......
( I will be logged off today, but will be back this evening to see your replies- and sorry if this topic has been covered in the past, I am new here ).

Leesy
14-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Hi CW999,
I have posted a reply to yur original post and don`t know how to move the silly thing (sorry):oops: , but if you want to look there.

catwoman999
14-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Its my fault Leesy, not yours:( . I have replied on the other thread where I got the title wrong.

Leesy
14-08-2009, 09:38 AM
LOl:lol: :lol: :lol: Ithink we have made a bit of a muddle haven`t we with these posts;) :lol: but never mind we have got there in the end.
What a shame you have not got a garden and what a terrible shame and very maddening:evil: :evil: that somebody would be heartless enough to try and set their dog onto a cat walking on a harness.

catwoman999
14-08-2009, 09:45 AM
I know, wee Gem did get a fright and I didn't take her out after that, and she didn't look for out either afterwards. The dog owner thought it was funny :mad: and called me a freak cause I had a cat on a harness lol. If I am a freak cos I love my cats, well I am a freak and a happy one lol.
Yes, I wish I had a garden, cos I would do EXACTLY as you have done and cat proofed the garden, and sat out with them to keep an eye. Your cats must be very happy x

Leesy
14-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Yes they do love their outside play time, my daughter thinks that I am mad going sitting outside and playing with them, she dosen`t understand just what enjoyment I get out of seeing them having fun and enjoying themselves:D :D

janey83
14-08-2009, 11:08 AM
That happened to me and my bf earlier this year, we wanted to get a friend for Leo so went to the CP near me, saw the kitten I wanted and was heart broken when they said 'we dont allow kittens to become indoor cats, but you could have a cat thats already been an indoor cat that they have at the shelter!' I was so gutted and was thinking how can they say that, So they really want the cats to be outdoor cats so they can get killed!!! I sent them an email but never got one back!

Heres the thread

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=31393

catwoman999
14-08-2009, 04:39 PM
That happened to me and my bf earlier this year, we wanted to get a friend for Leo so went to the CP near me, saw the kitten I wanted and was heart broken when they said 'we dont allow kittens to become indoor cats, but you could have a cat thats already been an indoor cat that they have at the shelter!' I was so gutted and was thinking how can they say that, So they really want the cats to be outdoor cats so they can get killed!!! I sent them an email but never got one back!

Heres the thread

I sent CP an email also, when my mum told me what they said to her. They did reply to me, but sharp and to the point lol. My mum really wanted a kitten as she had just nursed two older cats for months before being pts over the last year.... So wanted a kitten, as less likely to have health problems (though not always). But the good news is, I trawled the internet, and on monday she got a wee black and white 12 week old kitten, who is ruling the roost already, as an only cat child.:D

catwoman999
14-08-2009, 05:07 PM

Heres the thread

Hi Janey, great thread.... Can I ask did you finally get Ceskey the kitten?
The mind boggles, WAY too many cats are kicked out the front door by their owners, and have to fend for themselves all day or night, only in at meal times. Being an indoor cat shows a level of commitment as an responsible owner, in my eyes... A closer bond forms, and you are more likely to notice if there is a health problem being an indoor cat.
CP never rehome kittens to be indoors in my area. They did say my mum could have an older indoor cat, but as I explained earlier my mum really wanted a kitten.
I realise kittens will always get homes, and CP will find it harder to rehome older or FIV cats. Which I suppose is frustrating for CP, and maybe that is the reason behind this 'newish' policy on kittens. Trying to sway people into adopting a lovely older cat, who is just as deserving...

jan
14-08-2009, 06:42 PM
I have four house cats - Max is totally deaf and I stopped him going out over a year ago and as he mainly sleeps all the time he has nt really bothered, tho if the door s open he strolls out. Tess will go out but not more than a foot from the door and shut the door she s wanting to come in, Maisie has never been out, I put her on the grass once and she shook so much from fright, she s best off indoors, Felix goes out with me to chew the grass, he s fairly good really but would love to run off but when he has he does nt go far as its all alien to him. I have had out door cats and I have lost some to r t a `s - they have needed vetinary treatment because of fights, scrapes, and I cant bear the anxiety now of worrying if they are okay. I know the dilemma myself and there s no easy answer really, unless the cat is very stressed from being indoors (as one of mine was, you could nt keep him in he would howl and throw himself at the door so he went out freely) I think indoor cats are much safer. Jan x

angieh
14-08-2009, 08:00 PM
IMO it depends on where you live and the personality of your cat. When I first got Kizzy I kept her in for 6 weeks while she had her jabs and got used to being in a new place. Then I let her out. She comes and goes as she pleases now and personally, I like the fact that she lives a "natural" cat's life. But I can appreciate all the reasons for keeping a cat indoors and I would never wish to judge someone else for keeping their cats inside.

pcspik
14-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Mine are FIV positive, so really I have no option but to keep them indoors. The only other options are to build a secure garden or a cat pen, but been I am in a flat (rented) I do not have those options.

Sometimes it is better to keep them indoors, for example if a cat has been severely ill with a disease early in their life or in the case of being FIV positive. But if illnesses is not a factor, then yes it depends on the cat. But it is not an easy answer: for example if you live by an extremely busy road where there are lot of RTA's (human and animal) then it is perhaps better for the cat's wellbeing that it is indoors.

Besides pedigree is a factor. If you have a pedigree cat which is worth a lot of money (especially if it is a rarer breed), then in order to deter thieves, then it is better to keep them indoors (unless you have a secure garden or cat pen). There are cases of pedigree cats being stolen to order.

angieh
14-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Oh absolutely.

pcspik
14-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Another thing which I forgot to mention if a cat is severely diabetic, then in order to control their diabetes it may be better to keep them indoors (or only walk them on a harness). (Severe) Diabetics need regular feeds and medication which need to be administered at the same time each day, and it is hard to keep to that schedule when they are outside. At least if they are indoors, you know that they are around to receive their jab at 5 o'clock. Not to mention that they may get fed by some well meaning neighbours which does not help (and in some cases may make them worse) in terms of controlling. Although you can get collars which read "Please do not feed me", it does not guarantee that a) the collars wont get lost and b) that people will take any notice of them!

Also another factor may be age. If your elderly cat has gone slightly deaf and slightly blind, but has been able to cope with the road since it was a kitten, it may not be able to do so now. To avoid a sticky end, it may be safer to keep them indoor for the rest of their life rather than them endangering themselves. Besides, most elderly cats do not mind, they seem to prefer being indoors when they get old!

catwoman999
14-08-2009, 09:00 PM
I should have mentioned earlier that Amos is a pedigree persian (could get stolen) and Sebastian is blind (could never be an outdoor cat). Though having said that, I still would have all had my cats as indoors, even without these issues.
And Angieh you are absolutely right to do what is best for you and your cat.:D
As I said in my original post pros and cons for both! I am a natural worrier and could not cope with thinking of my babies outside, maybe selfish of me??? But I couldn't live with myself if they were lifted or injured...:(

borderdawn
14-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Id never keep a Cat confined to the house, but all mine are now secured on my property. Regarding the age thing, I have 3 elderly Cats here, 20 and a half, and two at 17yrs, ALL these Cats were out and about Cats untill around 4yrs ago. Previously all my Cats could go off the premises freely, but with two RTA's never again, that was my sole reason.

My Cats have a pen they can go in when the weather is fine, its about 11ft long, pentagonal at one end with an added 6x3 run on it. They LOVE it, they really do, high levels and watching the Birds, they'd be in there all the time if I let them, but they are always ready to come in when it gets a bit darker!!

They also go in the garden when Im here at their leisure, all secure and one of the dogs, "Orey" stays out there with them, all can come and go as they please, but he watches over them for some reason!

All in all, I wouldnt feel happy confining a Cat indoors, but an indoor and safe outdoor life is ideal IMO.

dandysmom
14-08-2009, 09:35 PM
As I've said in other posts, location! I'm directly on a heavily trafficed City street, close to woods with raccoons, foxes, etc. so free roaming is out of the question. Harness training has always worked well for me; with the exception of Leia who is scared of outdoors and seems quite happy being an indoor only cat. Her choice.

louise_81
15-08-2009, 11:59 PM
My ladies are 'hopefully' going to be indoors. Neither seem to have had the best start in life, and I feel keeping them safe in my house is part of giving them a better life and protecting them from the dangers of the outside world.

Having said that I also think it is essential that things like environmental enrichment are looked into and taken seriously. a healthy mind produces a healthy body after all.

SageCat
16-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi catwoman ~ I had the same dilemma when I very recently bought a 15 month old Oriental. In or out?? After much thinking and asking for advice, I decided that as she had never been outside (she was going to be kept by the breeder as a breeding queen, but it unfortunately didn't work out for her), then she wouldn't miss what she's never had. I've never had cats that I've kept in all the time, but it doesn't seem to be a problem at all for her. I bought her a harness, which she took to like a duck to water, and we go on little walks which we both enjoy! :-D It's far less stressful on me as well as I know where she is all the time. Although I live on a quiet village road, she would have no road sense whatsoever, and of course, as already mentioned, there's the possibility of theft. I also bought one of those trays of 'cat grass' ~ just pour on water, keep in the dark for a couple of days ~ and hey presto, yummy grass! YumYum loves hers, so is now getting necessary roughage which indoor cats can sometimes miss out on.

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr237/SageCat1/YumYum2.gif

catwoman999
16-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Hi catwoman ~ I had the same dilemma when I very recently bought a 15 month old Oriental. In or out?? After much thinking and asking for advice, I decided that as she had never been outside (she was going to be kept by the breeder as a breeding queen, but it unfortunately didn't work out for her), then she wouldn't miss what she's never had. I've never had cats that I've kept in all the time, but it doesn't seem to be a problem at all for her. I bought her a harness, which she took to like a duck to water, and we go on little walks which we both enjoy! :-D It's far less stressful on me as well as I know where she is all the time. Although I live on a quiet village road, she would have no road sense whatsoever, and of course, as already mentioned, there's the possibility of theft. I also bought one of those trays of 'cat grass' ~ just pour on water, keep in the dark for a couple of days ~ and hey presto, yummy grass! YumYum loves hers, so is now getting necessary roughage which indoor cats can sometimes miss out on.

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr237/SageCat1/YumYum2.gif

Thank you Sage cat! I buy the grass trays also from Pets at Home. My cats love the grass, almost as much as Catnip lol.... Yum Yum sounds like a very lucky cat :-D

dandysmom
16-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Leia is picky; doesn't like the cat grass. So every day I pick some from outside for her that she eats with enjoyment. Can be a bit difficult in the Winter with snow, however! :mrgreen:

louise_81
16-08-2009, 04:20 PM
could you not just grow normal grass from seed rather than the cat grass? I grow grass for the rabbits over winter, so I am just making up one for the cats too

catwoman999
16-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Leia is picky; doesn't like the cat grass. So every day I pick some from outside for her that she eats with enjoyment. Can be as bit difficult in the Winter with snow, however! :mrgreen:

Now thats cat dedication for ya!!!!:lol:
Just supports the fact, that we do not own cats they own us. And we are their slaves... but we wouldn't have it any other way :-D
What ever their furry little hearts want...

catwoman999
16-08-2009, 04:25 PM
could you not just grow normal grass from seed rather than the cat grass? I grow grass for the rabbits over winter, so I am just making up one for the cats too

Yip, you can do that Louise :D
I think its just that the cat grass is easier to grow, and grows faster and it comes in pre-made up tub for us lazy people lol... A couple of days and cats can eat it. Less effort needed!

dandysmom
16-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Now thats cat dedication for ya!!!!:lol:
Just supports the fact, that we do not own cats they own us. And we are their slaves... but we wouldn't have it any other way :-D
What ever their furry little hearts want...

Lol, here's a pic from a while back of herself being hand-fed by the staff:

http://www.catsey.com/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/DSCN1303.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/DSCN1303.jpg%5B/IMG%5Dhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/DSCN1303.jpg

catwoman999
16-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Awww she is gorgeous... I love silver and black tabbies...
Thanks for the pic!

dandysmom
16-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Thanks, CW, but Leia is actually a blue torbie! That's a bad pic, I was taking it one handed while feeding her the grass with the other ..wasn;t easy!

catwoman999
16-08-2009, 10:56 PM
:oops: :oops: :oops: Sorry!!!! Anyway whatever she is, she is gorgeous!

Darky
17-08-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm always really tied between 'indoor' and 'outdoor.' I was raised with outdoor cats, so my parents are naturally inclined towards them and find it odd and somewhat 'wrong' that I wish to have indoor cats.

My cat Honey is an outdoor cat but is a lazy ****** and will happily spend all day and night lazing indoors, so when I move out he shall become an indoor-cat only. Might take some adjustment, but he's been fine when being kept indoors for long periods of time in the past.

My new kitten, Lemon, is around two months old and therefore indoors obviously, but he shall remain indoors - with my parent's support. We feel it'd be most fair this way, so that when I move out he shall also be indoors-only rather than being let out beforehand, in case he takes to the outdoors much more than Honey has.