PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe it, we're heart broken.

Pages : [1] 2

Mistleto's-mum
11-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Mums cat Chester, who is a tabby and 3 years old, is in the PDSA hospital as he has Jundice and suspect renial failure/blood disorder.
I dont know what we're going to do, mums birthday is today and her little man is really ill, she is heart broken.
Tonight they are doing blood test's and tomorrow morning they are scaning his liver.
We have to phone up between 9 & 10am to find out what is the next step.
All i've asked is please dont do anything til i'm there.
I know mum wont be able to be ther but i will.
I just believe we're going through this again, he is soo young this is so cruel.

Louise xx

Moli
11-08-2009, 09:27 PM
So very sorry to reading this, everything crossed for the little boy, thoughts with you and your mum...pleased keep us updated...x

Mistleto's-mum
11-08-2009, 09:34 PM
So very sorry to reading this, everything crossed for the little boy, thoughts with you and your mum...pleased keep us updated...x

Thank you xxxx

dandysmom
11-08-2009, 09:38 PM
How very very sad, so young and on you mum's birthday too! Sending healing vibes ...do let us know how he's doing.

Mistleto's-mum
11-08-2009, 09:47 PM
How very very sad, so young and on you mum's birthday too! Sending healing vibes ...do let us know how he's doing.

Thank you i will

xxxx

angieh
11-08-2009, 10:28 PM
I am also rooting for Chester and sending healing vibes.

Elaine
11-08-2009, 11:02 PM
How very sad and distressing, I sincerely hope Chester pulls through, sending you and your family all my love and best wishes xxx

MrsH
11-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Hoping Chester pulls through and everything is ok. (((hugs)))

Leesy
11-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Like everbody else has said I am so so very sorry to be hearing such sad news, I do hope that he pulls through and to help I am sending you lots of healing vibes for Chester to get better. ( ( HUGS ) ).

Mistleto's-mum
12-08-2009, 01:40 AM
Thank you all so much for your messages.
I will let you know what happens when i speak to the vet in the morning.
Thank you xxxx

dinahsmum
12-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Poor you - it is terribly sad when young cat is seriously ill.
I do hope the vet has hopeful news for you this morning (I sometimes think they start with the worst-case scenario and then row back from it)

Mistleto's-mum
12-08-2009, 11:10 AM
The vet phoned mum at 9.30 and his blood test have come back to normal, they have done an ultrasound and his liver is enlarged and there is a shadow on his gallbladder.
They are now operating him to find out what it is.
As soon as i know i'll let you all know.

Thank you all so much for your kind messages

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Leesy
12-08-2009, 12:39 PM
I am so hoping fingers crossed that it is something that they can easily sort out.

Mistleto's-mum
12-08-2009, 12:39 PM
The vets have just phoned, they can't find anything wrong other than his liver is inflammed.
His body is trying to fight infection but he is very weak.
They have asked us to go up for a 10-15 minute visit in case he doesn't make it over night xx

Leesy
12-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Everything is being crossed here for Chester`s safe recovery xxx.

angieh
12-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Poor darling. Not sure whether it's better or worse that the vet can't find anything obviously wrong. Come on little lad, fight ........... healing and strengthening vibes being sent to Chester.

moonstone
12-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Sending healing vibes for Chester:D I am going through the same thing with my elderly cat Bobby so i know how you feel:(

Mistleto's-mum
12-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Thank you all so much.
I just dont know what to do with myself.
What scares me most is the fact he could go in the night with out me there, even though he is my mum's cat she couldn't do it so i would but i dont want him to go with out me there.
I would hate myself if that happened, i just pray he pull's through.

xxxx

moonstone
12-08-2009, 03:34 PM
I don,t know if this will help you but a few years ago my huge black cat Archie (chunk,s brother)had a swollen liver:( the vet did not know what was wrong with him so he had a bi-opsy done but it came back as showing nothing wrong so he was given a short couse of ABX which soon had him back to normal:) however after about a year the symptoms reappeared and back to the vets we went again:( this time he was put on a stronger ABX with a longer course:? again he seemed to recover but relasped later on again:( this time he was put on permanant meds which kept him symptom free for about a year but he then suffered Hyper thyroid which the vet failed to diagnose and this led to organ failure so he had to be PTS:(
If i had known then that he had not been tested for thyroid i would have asked for it to be done but i thought that the vet had already checked his levels:evil: needless to say i blamed them for my Archie,s death:evil:
I now have a much better vet who i hold in high regard:)

dandysmom
12-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Fingers crossed and recovery vibes coming. pray he'll come thru this and be back home to your mum soon ......

dinahsmum
12-08-2009, 04:26 PM
I do hope he gets through this crisis and then makes a full recovery

Moli
12-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Everything crossed he will make a full recovery....

janey83
12-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Everythin crossed here as well. x

Mistleto's-mum
12-08-2009, 08:26 PM
I don,t know if this will help you but a few years ago my huge black cat Archie (chunk,s brother)had a swollen liver:( the vet did not know what was wrong with him so he had a bi-opsy done but it came back as showing nothing wrong so he was given a short couse of ABX which soon had him back to normal:) however after about a year the symptoms reappeared and back to the vets we went again:( this time he was put on a stronger ABX with a longer course:? again he seemed to recover but relasped later on again:( this time he was put on permanant meds which kept him symptom free for about a year but he then suffered Hyper thyroid which the vet failed to diagnose and this led to organ failure so he had to be PTS:(
If i had known then that he had not been tested for thyroid i would have asked for it to be done but i thought that the vet had already checked his levels:evil: needless to say i blamed them for my Archie,s death:evil:
I now have a much better vet who i hold in high regard:)

What is ABX?
It might be useful to us thank you soo much xxx

Mistleto's-mum
12-08-2009, 08:32 PM
We saw chester at 5 pm tongiht.
He woke from surgery at 12:30 and between 12:30 and 5 he'd had 3 meals which is just like chester, he loves his food lol.
He has been out in the recovery room with the 2 vets and a nurse having a fuss.
We had lots of cuddles and he was soo pleased to see us, it was awful leaving him there again but its whats best for him.
They think he is adorable and said he is not shy at all, he has to be centre of attention lol.
He is on meds now so we are hoping he responds to it, if not then i dont know what can be done.
We have to phone between 10 and 11 tomorrow morning to find out the next step.

xx

dandysmom
12-08-2009, 08:57 PM
That's sounding a bit more optimistic. Hope he continues to improve.

Leesy
12-08-2009, 10:02 PM
That sounds more promising than thought perviously, I do hope that he responds well to his meds and gets better quickly Xxx.

angieh
12-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Sounds like he's making some headway and fighting. Good lad, more healing and strengthening vibes coming your way Chester. Eating is a very good sign.

Mistleto's-mum
12-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Here a few pic's of our special little guy :)

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/Guineapiglou/15-05-07_1453.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/Guineapiglou/24-07-07_1922.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/Guineapiglou/Chester.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/Guineapiglou/Photo-0040.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/Guineapiglou/Photo-0065.jpg

dandysmom
12-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Oh, isn't he the lovely boy! Thanks for sharing those.

angieh
12-08-2009, 10:56 PM
He's a sweetheart. A picture really helps focus those vibes!

Leesy
12-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Awwwwww he does look such a little sweetheart, with such a sweet little face.

MadCatLady
12-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Best wishes to Chester & co.... from me & the Fab Feline Tribe!!!
:p

Keep us posted & he is a lovely looking chap!

Mistleto's-mum
13-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Thank you all so much.
Mum is phoning between 10 and 11 so i'll update as soon as i know.
Yes he is a sweetheart.
He doesn't fight, he doesn't have a nasty bone in his body at all, he loves our other cats, he loves the 2 dogs.
He is the favourite of our neighbours and my brothers friends :D
Although we have the others it seems very quiet in our house because you can make a hot drink without a little head getting in the way lol.

Thank you all so much xxxxx

dinahsmum
13-08-2009, 09:23 AM
I do hope you get good news - the liver has remarkable powers of recovery you know

Leesy
13-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Fingers crossed here for good news:)

angieh
13-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Ditto above ............

Mistleto's-mum
13-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Chester can come home!!!
We have to pick him up between 2 & 4 but we will know more when we get there.
When we are home i'll update more.
Thank you all soo much for your messages

xxxxx

dinahsmum
13-08-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm sooo pleased for you

Leesy
13-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Me to, I am soooo pleased to hear that Chester can come back home today.
Great news:D

Moli
13-08-2009, 12:42 PM
He is gorgeous, such expressive eyes.......

Moli
13-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Wonderful news!

Elaine
13-08-2009, 03:39 PM
So pleased to read the news about Chester xxx

dandysmom
13-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Wonderful news!!

Mistleto's-mum
13-08-2009, 05:35 PM
We are home!!!!

Chester has eaten 6 small bowls of food today he has to eat little and often.
He is on 3 different types of tablets.
We are back at the vets on monday for a check up and then his stitches come out a week later.
He is still very yellow but the vets really dont know what is going on.
He is responding well to medication so thats good news.
I got him out the cat box when we got home and he gave me a kiss something he has never done befor.
He is now asleep on mum's bed, its good to have him home.

Thank you all so much xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

angieh
13-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Hope he continues to get better. That eating is such a good sign. Bless him.

Mistleto's-mum
13-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Hope he continues to get better. That eating is such a good sign. Bless him.

Thank you xx

Leesy
13-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Oh what a little sweety, I am so very pleased to hear that he is now back at home eating and giving you kisses:D .
Hope he continues to improve in leaps and bounds.

yola
13-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Just read your thread Louise - wow, what a worrying time. I'm delighted that Chester's home and obviously much better . . . please keep an eye on him and give him lots of hugs and a scritch from us :)

Mistleto's-mum
13-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Just read your thread Louise - wow, what a worrying time. I'm delighted that Chester's home and obviously much better . . . please keep an eye on him and give him lots of hugs and a scritch from us :)

Yes i am keeping a close eye on him just in case.
Friends and neighbour's have been round to see him.
He is such a brave little star.

He is having lots of hugs from everyone, he really is enjoying the attention bless him

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mistleto's-mum
13-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Thank you all so much

xxxxx

dandysmom
13-08-2009, 07:56 PM
What a good boy, he's happy to be home and getting the attention. May he go from strength to strength! A chin-tickle from me, please......

Mistleto's-mum
13-08-2009, 08:16 PM
What a good boy, he's happy to be home and getting the attention. May he go from strength to strength! A chin-tickle from me, please......

Of course :D

xxxxx

Moli
13-08-2009, 10:11 PM
So pleased he is now home.........

Mistleto's-mum
13-08-2009, 11:21 PM
So pleased he is now home.........

Thank you

xx

angieh
14-08-2009, 11:32 AM
How is Chester today Mistleto's-mum?

Mistleto's-mum
14-08-2009, 11:48 AM
He is doing well.
He's had his medication like a good boy,eating like mad, but then he is on steriods.
He's also drinking a lot more water which is good.
He has a bit of muscle damage in his right leg but we have to keep on eye on him because any change he has to go straight back for further test.
We are hopeful the medication is going to work and its the not the drip he had that was making him perky.
He goes back monday for a check up.
Thank you so much for asking after him, he is loving all the attention bless him

xxxxx

Leesy
14-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Thats great news so glad to hear that he is coming along nicely:D

dandysmom
14-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Really nice to hear that; he had everyone so worried!

catwoman999
14-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Sending lucky cats vibes Chesters way... And loads of cats kisses... x

jan
14-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Only just caught this thread - sending all good vibes and good wishes to Chester. Gorgeous boy. Jan xx

Mistleto's-mum
14-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Thank you.

He has slowed down a little with his eating which is good as he is meant to eat little and often :lol:
He has also been down stairs a few times today, we have shut him away in mum's room til his stitches are out and also it's quiet up there so he can rest as he's had a hectic week.
He is still looking very yellow, alot more yellow today than yesterday so a bit unsure about that.
Mark our neighbour said he would run us to the vets tomorrow if we wanted to go.
But we will see what he is like in the morning.

Louise xxx

angieh
14-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Still sending strong healing vibes for Chester. Come on lad - you can beat this.

dandysmom
14-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Fingers crossed and vibes coming here too!!

Leesy
14-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Lots of vibes coming from me too.

Mistleto's-mum
15-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Thank you all so much

xxxxx

MadCatLady
15-08-2009, 12:22 AM
Oh good news!!!

Hope he continues to improve!

Mistleto's-mum
19-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Update.................

Monday we went back to the vets for a check up.
As soon as we walked in, chester's face said it all :D
The vets said that is 1 P***** off face if i've ever one like that befor :shock:
He is still yellow but it is fading on his belly, his ear's and eyes are still yellow.
They have given us another tablet aswell as they are looking at Liver disease now.
They can't find nothing wrong as all bloods come back normal :roll:
If he doesn't respond to the new tablet then there is nothing more they can do as it means his Liver has completely gone.
So we are taking each day 1 step at a time.
Monday evening i took chester in to see our neighbour and he had take away!!
He went and ate dinner with their cats :shock:
Yersterday i took him to see our neighbour again as she loves chester and is disabled with MS so having problems walking at the moment and her husband fed him again :roll:
He has to go round again today to get dinner as he is a baby :roll:
Every time mark comes round now, chester is up and at the back door ready to go back round with mark for a take out :lol:

farthing
19-08-2009, 02:36 PM
This might be of interest to you, our vets usually get a couple of cats in a year suffering from it. Maybe compare symptoms and see if they fit.
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/courses_vm546/content_links/DfDx/Cat%20Case%204/cholangiohepatitis.htm

I'm not sure why they think it is liver disease if nothing is showing up in the bloods. Our old dog has liver failure- her ALT and ALKP ( liver enzymes) are WAY above normal, and she is still showing no symptoms, we know it will be a matter of time but at the moment she is fine.

If it is his liver ask the vet about milk thistle, it is good for liver problems and is included in a vet suppliment for dogs with liver problems.

Hope you find out what is going on and Chester continues to improve.

dandysmom
19-08-2009, 04:26 PM
That is encouraging news about the eating and that he's not so yellow. Very helpful information from Farthing; I hope he continues to improve.

Mistleto's-mum
19-08-2009, 04:36 PM
This might be of interest to you, our vets usually get a couple of cats in a year suffering from it. Maybe compare symptoms and see if they fit.
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/courses_vm546/content_links/DfDx/Cat%20Case%204/cholangiohepatitis.htm

I'm not sure why they think it is liver disease if nothing is showing up in the bloods. Our old dog has liver failure- her ALT and ALKP ( liver enzymes) are WAY above normal, and she is still showing no symptoms, we know it will be a matter of time but at the moment she is fine.

If it is his liver ask the vet about milk thistle, it is good for liver problems and is included in a vet suppliment for dogs with liver problems.

Hope you find out what is going on and Chester continues to improve.

Thank you so much for this, i will speak to the vets on monday x

Mistleto's-mum
19-08-2009, 04:37 PM
That is encouraging news about the eating and that he's not so yellow. Very helpful information from Farthing; I hope he continues to improve.

Thank you x

Leesy
19-08-2009, 09:09 PM
That is great news to hear that Chester is eating now and isn`t as yellow, sending healing vibes for his health to continue to improve.

Mistleto's-mum
19-08-2009, 10:47 PM
That is great news to hear that Chester is eating now and isn`t as yellow, sending healing vibes for his health to continue to improve.

Thank you x

Mistleto's-mum
24-08-2009, 12:12 PM
We are off to the vets today at 3:00 for chester's stitches out!
Since being on the quarter a day tablet of desolit (think thats how you spell it) he is more alert, the yellow is nearly gone and he is more active.
Chester still goes next door for a snack bless him and love seeing our nieighbour's cats and the parrot :shock:

So, fingers crooses all will be well today.

Louise x

Mags
24-08-2009, 12:23 PM
I hope all goes well at the vets this afternoon, Louise...... will look forward to your update later...

dandysmom
24-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Same here ........

Mistleto's-mum
31-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Here are some recent pics of our special little man :D

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/Guineapiglou/DSC00005.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/Guineapiglou/DSC00007.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/Guineapiglou/DSC00287.jpg

angieh
31-08-2009, 12:54 PM
What a sweetie! I do really hope he keeps on the road to recovery.

Mistleto's-mum
31-08-2009, 01:09 PM
What a sweetie! I do really hope he keeps on the road to recovery.

Thank you.
He's playing more even though the vet said last monday there is no improvement and have sent his liver sample off.
He is very happy to play, eat and then sleep :D

angieh
31-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Well, it sounds to me as if he has a decent quality of life - the vet is probably looking at it from a clinical angle.

Mistleto's-mum
31-08-2009, 01:21 PM
I hope that the vet is but we all including our neighbours see the improvement in him

Mistleto's-mum
01-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Mum phoned the vets this morning to be told the result's are not back yet so phone back in a day or 2!
So will update when i know more :)

Louise xx

Mistleto's-mum
01-09-2009, 02:41 PM
The vet has just phoned mum with chester's result's......
He has what look's to be a infection based problem like hepatistus (doubt i spelt that right lol) so we are off to the vets thursday at 3.15 as they are doing more test's to find out what strenght meds he will need.

Mistleto's-mum
03-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Brilliant news :D

Chester has put on 600 grams in weight and he is only a little bit yellow now, he is on a long course antibiotics and has to go back next week for his weekly check up then he will only need to go once a month.
He was not a happy boy today, he cried all the way there but slept the whole way back :shock:

jan
03-09-2009, 09:39 PM
I am so happy for you - you must feel like a cloud has lifted. I hope Chester continues to gain weight and improve and soon it might be yearly check up s ! Jan x

Moli
03-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Brilliant news, so pleased for you and of course Chester....:)

dandysmom
03-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Happy news!

Mistleto's-mum
03-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Thank you all so much xxx

angieh
04-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Well done Chester. I am so pleased for you all, may the improvements continue.

Mistleto's-mum
04-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Thank you xxxx

Mistleto's-mum
29-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Our Boy died on thursday the 21st january

farthing
29-01-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm so sorry.

Mistleto's-mum
29-01-2010, 06:22 PM
It was a shock but we had an extra 5 months with our boy xxx

Elaine
29-01-2010, 06:26 PM
I am so very sorry to hear about Chester, my girl Eva is going through the same thing at the moment.

Hugs to you, you did all you could to help him xxx

R.I.P. Chester xxx

Mistleto's-mum
29-01-2010, 06:28 PM
I am so very sorry to hear about Chester, my girl Eva is going through the same thing at the moment.

Hugs to you, you did all you could to help him xxx

R.I.P. Chester xxx

I am so sorry to hear that of Eva, sending lots of nose rubs and cat kisses her way xx

angieh
29-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Really sorry to hear the news. RIP Chester - run and play freely now.

Mags
29-01-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm so sorry :(

Moli
29-01-2010, 07:34 PM
So sorry.....xx

dandysmom
29-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Very sorry for your loss ....... it's never easy.