PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Virus

Stardust274
10-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Hi

I'm new to this site, so I am sure that this has already been answered. Nanook my 9 month old maine coon spent two nights at the vet. She had a very high temperature and was being sick and pooping can't spell diahorea! The vet at first thought is was a blockage in her stomach. After x rays and utrascan he thought it was a virus. She was then transported by me to my vet. Where she underwent more test and blood test. The vet was worried that the temp was not going down so kept her in again. Any way the temp went down and she was on a drip of fluids and antibioctics. She was let out yesterday about 11am (Sunday) I am still having to give two lots of antibioctics twice a day for the next four day.
So after that long drawn out explanation, my question is :- is it normal for her to be so sleepy still? She is eating and pooing/weeing as normal. I think I know the answer but I just want to make sure.

Many thanks
Gina

By the way my spelling is really bad, sorry hope you can read it okay. :?

Leesy
10-08-2009, 07:51 PM
I suppose if she has had a really bad virus that has really knocked her for six, she will need extra sleep.
Also I think the antibiotics can make some cats abit groggy which always happens with Maxi one of my cats.
Hope she feels alot better soon and looking forward to seeing some picks of her.:D

angieh
10-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Poor sweetie - do hope she picks up soon. She's probably exhausted fighting the virus and I would try not to worry if she's sleeping more than usual atm.

dandysmom
10-08-2009, 08:44 PM
I tend to agree she just needs the extra sleep to help fight off the virus and the aftereffects of the medication. If you're really concerned, why not give the vet a ring just to ease your mind?

Stardust274
10-08-2009, 08:58 PM
She seems happy enough when she is awake, so I will give it another day. And the vet has already cost me over £900!!! So glad that I have insurance.

Leesy
10-08-2009, 09:01 PM
She seems happy enough when she is awake, so I will give it another day. And the vet has already cost me over £900!!! So glad that I have insurance.

Thank god for insurance, my Maxi has cost me well over a £1000,00 pounds already with various problems so I am glad I have insurance too.

Stardust274
10-08-2009, 09:07 PM
I need to get the claim sorted out, the form looks confusing!!

Leesy
10-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Which insurance company are you with, I am with Petplan and even though the form looked abit confusing at first it is really quite straight forward and if in doubt over any of the questions most vets will usually help you out.

Stardust274
10-08-2009, 09:18 PM
I am with pet plan too. I have to do two forms as she was seen by the out of hours vet and then by my own vet. I will get around to doing it.

Leesy
10-08-2009, 09:20 PM
If you are with Petplan I doubt you will have any problems, I never have any way:D

Stardust274
10-08-2009, 09:23 PM
cool, thats a good thing as the man at the bank really needs to see that money before I get told off.

Elaine
10-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I am so sorry your cat has been ill of late and wish him a speedy recovery. I agree with others that the virus or infection has probably wiped the poor thing out, that as well as AB's twice daily. Just keep a close eye on him over the next few days but if you are at all worried please contact your vet.
I found this and thought it might interest you.
http://www.pictures-of-cats.org/maine-coon-cat-vet-bills.html

Leesy
10-08-2009, 09:25 PM
cool, thats a good thing as the man at the bank really needs to see that money before I get told off.

:lol: :lol: That was me as well, they did pay out alot quicker than I thought they would;)

Stardust274
10-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I found this and thought it might interest you.
http://www.pictures-of-cats.org/maine-coon-cat-vet-bills.html[/QUOTE]

Didn't make me feel any better but I think I'm with the don't care party. I would give any thing for Nanook

Elaine
10-08-2009, 09:35 PM
I just thought it was interesting that people with maine coons may pay higher vet bills than other breeds. There is also a link on there to maine coon health issues, which is what I thought might really interest you.

Stardust274
10-08-2009, 09:42 PM
thank you for the link, I'm not sure that I want to read all of it as I am a worry wart at the best of times. Her parents had been tested for most of those things on there.

Leesy
10-08-2009, 09:43 PM
I just thought it was interesting that people with maine coons may pay higher vet bills than other breeds. There is also a link on there to maine coon health issues, which is what I thought might really interest you.

Thanks Elaine for that link, it is strange how the vets could even think about charging Maine Coon owners extra for treatment:? :?
Maxi and Maisy are worth every extra penny though as you know I wouldn`t want to be without my pampered feline duo.
Looked at the health issues and they are very scary:shock: :shock: , I suppose any cat owners not just Maine Coon owners just have to hope and pray that their little fur babies don`t suffer from any of them conditions:( .

Leesy
10-08-2009, 09:45 PM
thank you for the link, I'm not sure that I want to read all of it as I am a worry wart at the best of times. Her parents had been tested for most of those things on there.

Me to, and both Maxi and Maisy`s parents have been tested as well.

Elaine
10-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Sorry it wasnt meant to scare, I am just one of those people who reads up on these things, perhaps to my detrement, who knows. I just always like to keep myself informed.

Leesy
10-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Sorry it wasnt meant to scare, I am just one of those people who reads up on these things, perhaps to my detrement, who knows. I just always like to keep myself informed.

Don`t be sorry Elaine, if these things are out there we need to know what we are dealing with and also what to watch out for as scary as these things may be.
Thanks again for that interesting but scary;) link.

Tina
10-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Hope your puss is feeling better soon, sounds like she's just worn out from being sick!

And I think PetPlan are GREAT!!! If you have any difficulty with filling out the forms, give them a ring......they're very helpful! My vet does our forms all the time now, we don;t fill them in at all anymore LOL! And PetPlan has always in my case paid up VERY promptly and without question......well over £4,000 in the last year!

Looking forward to seeing pics of your cat!

catwoman999
11-08-2009, 07:41 AM

I didn't find it scary AT ALL!!!!;)

Knowledge is power!

I am like you Elaine, I read up on EVERYTHING!!! Forewarned is forearmed...

I think its a cat owners responsibility to do as much reading up, and educate themselves in good pet care/vigilance.

I had a work mate once, whos female Alsation died of breast cancer, very sad... I informed her sensitively (long after the passing) that if she had had her dog spayed, this dramatically reduces the risk of breast cancer. She said that she was angry that the breeder had not told her this peice of information!!! I was flabber gasted, I told her this wasn't for breeder to tell/educate her on dog care, but indeed herself as the owners responsibilty.
Just a thought.... Forewarned is forearmed!;)

Elaine
11-08-2009, 08:19 AM
I didn't find it scary AT ALL!!!!;)

Knowledge is power!

Exactly

I am like you Elaine, I read up on EVERYTHING!!! Forewarned is forearmed...

I think its a cat owners responsibility to do as much reading up, and educate themselves in good pet care/vigilance.

I definately agree.

I had a work mate once, whos female Alsation died of breast cancer, very sad... I informed her sensitively (long after the passing) that if she had had her dog spayed, this dramatically reduces the risk of breast cancer. She said that she was angry that the breeder had not told her this peice of information!!! I was flabber gasted, I told her this wasn't for breeder to tell/educate her on dog care, but indeed herself as the owners responsibilty.
Just a thought.... Forewarned is forearmed!;)

Such a shame that animals suffer because people bury their heads in the sand.

Just to clarify what I just said, I was reffering to what CW999 had posted and was not any sort of dig towards the poster of this thread, some times things happen and it's not until they do, that people then have to educate themselves. Sometimes that can be especially true of pedigrees as many are predisposed to a variety of health issues.

Stardust274
11-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Just to clarify what I just said, I was reffering to what CW999 had posted and was not any sort of dig towards the poster of this thread, some times things happen and it's not until they do, that people then have to educate themselves. Sometimes that can be especially true of pedigrees as many are predisposed to a variety of health issues

Hi, thats fine didn't take it any other way. Nanook did not have any of the things listed in that link on health issues. And I had read up on all health issues before I got her. Yesterday was just not a very good day for reading about things that could be wrong as she was still feeling under the weather.

However just as an update she is much better today and running around the house like the made loon she is.

Many thanks for all the support and advice and all is welcome.:D

Leesy
11-08-2009, 08:51 AM
So glad to hear that Nanook is so much better today that is great news:D

angieh
11-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Good to hear that your little beauty is feeling better today.

Stardust274
11-08-2009, 11:10 AM
She is really making up for feel ill the last few days. She is like a little bear on speed!!!!!;)

catwoman999
11-08-2009, 11:14 AM
She is really making up for feel ill the last few days. She is like a little bear on speed!!!!!;)

Great to hear! Back to her old self eh? :D

dandysmom
11-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Good news!!!

tilly
11-08-2009, 06:27 PM
I hope Nanook is feeling better now.
I have got petplan cover as well and I was very glad last year as buster ruptured his eye it cost £2,500 to fix the eye and he has got ongoing check ups that cost £112 each time. He also has asthma. I have never had any problem with petplan paying out, they do so very quickly and seem to cover most thing he gets. He is a Burmese cross and came from a feral colony with his sister. He cost thousands of pounds a year as does his sister. I just thought you would like to hear from another petplan customer with expensive cats. The only thing I would say is there excess does go up buster who is 12 years old excess is now £100 + 20% it sounds a lot but it meant my mum and I only had to find £600 in stead of £2500 so we could just tell the vet to do what was best and not worry about costs.

Not sure how this compare to other companies as all my cats are covered by petplan

Hope to read more about Nanook

Tilly and cats