PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything I have missed?

louise_81
09-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Got 2 cats coming tomorrow, just want to make sure I have everything and not forgotten something.

So I have bought some felix (Tesco 48 for £10, rather good I thought) and Purina 1 (Again £10 for a 5kg bag) and clay based litter, I also have some tesco own kitten food. I have litter trays, 1 big pet bed, some toys and bowls. Just as well pets can't read as the all say rabbit! (mind you the rabbits have one that says dog!) oh and I bought some Chicken for tea tonight, so there may be some left over:oops:

In the morning I have to phone Oldham Cats, for rescue places for the kittens in Nov, and the vets for check ups on Tuesday.

Also need to nip to tesco to get some banana boxes in the morning to set up a few nests for mummy cat, although a bit early just yet, she is only half way.

Is there anything I have missed?

catwoman999
09-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Just my opinion, but cardboard boxes are maybe best, softer and no hard edges, scelffs/splitters (can't spell the word). But its totally up to you :p Cats would get wooden splinters from banana boxes..... I think lol

laragreg
09-08-2009, 05:25 PM
:lol: sound good to me, they will need time to settle in and lots of love:smt007 . I think cardboard boxes would be better to.:)

catwoman999
09-08-2009, 05:33 PM
The type of cardboard boxes without staples!!! Just cellotaped together. As the kittens get older they could pick at staples and swallow. Sort of think of it as, baby proofing everything:p

louise_81
09-08-2009, 06:05 PM
sorry I did mean the cardboard ones that the fruit comes in

angieh
09-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Toys? Blankets/fleeces?

(I'm doing a similar list for kitten ....... !)

Kazz
09-08-2009, 06:13 PM
A decent supply of newspaper............

catwoman999
09-08-2009, 06:59 PM
A decent supply of newspaper............

Ditto!!!! Squillions and squillions of newspaper:shock:

pcspik
09-08-2009, 08:37 PM
I suggest as others have said, newspaper or easily washable bedding (vetbed would be ideal, but I doubt you have any).

catwoman999
09-08-2009, 08:54 PM
I suggest as others have said, newspaper or easily washable bedding (vetbed would be ideal, but I doubt you have any).

Yeah, vet bed is great cause you can boil wash it and dries quickly... I have some for my cats...but at £45 for a tiny square...:shock: Newspapers are great for the birth, cos they can just be tossed out after, but until mum gets kittens litter trained, newspapers ideal hygiene wise. Doesn't sound comfy, I know but a few disposable old towels or fleececs can be added for comfort/warmth...

pcspik
09-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Yeah, vet bed is great cause you can boil wash it and dries quickly... I have some for my cats...but at £45 for a tiny square...:shock:

Really? I paid £3.50 for mine, but I notice that there is some on ebay (in the dog section) for £3.25 plus postage. There are probably other options too if you look online.

I have it in one of the cat beds (of the 4 bed that there is in the flat only 1 is not machine washable so it is in that).

catwoman999
09-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Really? I paid £3.50 for mine, but I notice that there is some on ebay (in the dog section) for £3.25 plus postage. There are probably other options too if you look online.

I have it in one of the cat beds (of the 4 bed that there is in the flat only 1 is not machine washable so it is in that).

Hi again, yes the thick green backed, white fluffy on other side??? I got mine from a vet supplies site... its practically undestructable and £45 a half meter... Maybe ebay is selling inferior version of it, cos you shld be able to boil wash it....:D

pcspik
09-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Hi again, yes the thick green backed, white fluffy on other side??? I got mine from a vet supplies site... its practically undestructable and £45 a half meter... Maybe ebay is selling inferior version of it, cos you shld be able to boil wash it....:D

Yes that is the stuff except mine is grey not white. I did not buy mine from ebay (it was from the local Cats Protection) so I dont know if the stuff on ebay is genuine or not. The picture that I have seen for £3.25 seems to be of the same stuff as mine.

Just a note that it is for a small size for the price I quoted, but the sizing does vary per seller. The £3.25 one measures 19½ inch x 15 inch. There is some at £5.50 which measures 75cmx50cm but the picture of the backing is completely different to mine, so I have my doubts about that. There are a couple more options (differently priced to those two) but from the pictures it is hard to tell whether it is genuine vet bed or not.

I also found rolls on ebay for just under £50 (3 metres roll) which again from the picture appears to be the same as my stuff (albeit a different colour on top) so yes at least some of the stuff is genuine out there. There is a guide on ebay too.

So if someone wants a couple of pieces then they can go down the route, or alternatively buy a small roll.

catwoman999
09-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Cheers for the info,and I will have a wee look... I think I am paying well over the odds lol... I usually avoid ebay tho!!! :D

angieh
09-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks about the tips re vet bed from ebay. I'll check it out. Any particular reason why you avoid ebay, catwoman? I myself have bought several things, all as per description, good price, excellent quick delivery.

catwoman999
09-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Just me being paranoid Angieh... I would prefer to buy from the manufacturer of these things, then you know your are not getting an inferior item. I know there are lots of gen stuff on ebay, but also bad stuff... I would rather not take the gamble. So I pay through the nose at Pets at Home or Vet supplies sites lol...