PDA

View Full Version : Cats with blue eyes

angieh
07-08-2009, 08:57 PM
This may just show my ignorance, but do all cats with blue eyes have a common ancestry? I am thinking of beautiful Fluffy and Posh of course. Are there others on the Forum with blue eyes?

Reason I ask is that Oz's mummy has blue eyes so I am told.

catwoman999
07-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Pedigree Siamese 'point' cats all have blue eyes as a breed standard, also Birman and some others. Ususual in moggies though.... But does happen, as you have highlighted. The blue eye gene is recessive and not dominant, so is all to easily breeded out(diluted) in moggies, but preserved in pure breeds.

dandysmom
07-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Most blue eyed cats (Himalayan, Orientals) have Siamese in their background; am not sure about Ragdolls. It's very rare, but can occur in moggies, although the blue eyed gene is recessive. There was a stunning coal black cat in the neighborhood where I used to live with very blue eyes. I would have catnapped him if I could have, but he was standoffish with strangers!

catwoman999
07-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Most blue eyed cats (Himalayan, Orientals) have Siamese in their background; am not sure about Ragdolls. It's very rare, but can occur in moggies, although the blue eyed gene is recessive. There was a stunning coal black cat in the neighborhood where I used to live with very blue eyes. I would have catnapped him if I could have, but he was standoffish with strangers!

I am sure thats what I just said earlier lol!

MrsH
07-08-2009, 11:04 PM
My 2 moggies who are brother and sister both have blue eyes (sorry no photos as I'm rubbish at taking and posting them!) Their mother was a tortie but goodness knows what type of cat their father was!

angieh
07-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Oh MrsH! I'd really love to see photos of your 2 - could you get someone else to take some photos for you?

Kittens always have blue eyes, don't they? Can anyone tell me at what age their eye colour changes if it's going to?

catwoman999
07-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Oh MrsH! I'd really love to see photos of your 2 - could you get someone else to take some photos for you?

Kittens always have blue eyes, don't they? Can anyone tell me at what age their eye colour changes if it's going to?

Yes most have grey/blue eyes to begin with, this usually changes within 4 weeks, but can differ from kitten to kitten. Anyone with a moggie with blue eyes should check their cat is not deaf... As a percentage of them will be deaf, especially white moggies with blue eyes!
Not wanting to scare anyone though....

angieh
08-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks catwoman999.

I think I knew that in moggies, the blue eye gene could be linked to deafness, esp in white cats. Presumably this isn't the case in cats of Siamese/oriental genetics? Just intrigued by this question - my knowledge of genetics is very basic!!!

random
08-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Deafness is linked to the white gene, it's the same in dogs, a lot of the predominantly white breeds have issues with deafness, dalmatians, bull terriers, white boxers e.t.c.

My Kiara has blue eyes of course.

Eileen the most amazing cat I have ever seen has to be a black cat with blue eyes, just so very beautiful.

I believe some Bengals have blue eyes too.

catwoman999
08-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks catwoman999.

I think I knew that in moggies, the blue eye gene could be linked to deafness, esp in white cats. Presumably this isn't the case in cats of Siamese/oriental genetics? Just intrigued by this question - my knowledge of genetics is very basic!!!

Hi Angieh,

Yes, you are quite correct, this isn't the case with the siamese/oriental breeds.....