PDA

View Full Version : Post babies cat help

louise_81
06-08-2009, 01:12 AM
I am taking in a cat, who has recently had babies. All babies are 8 weeks, weaned and going to other homes.

What I want to know is is there anything special (apart from health check and booking her neuter) that I can do or should watch out for.

thanks

smudgley
06-08-2009, 06:56 AM
Watch her mamaries / milk supply. Mastitis is a nasty infection, however most cats do not have it, but do keep checking her if she has only just finished with her kittens.

good quality food to build her up post litter & be aware her coat will be dull & she will be moulting (hormonal)

She will soon be looking mighty fine. :cool:

louise_81
06-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Thank you.

Is there any special food that I can feed her to build her up? I read somewhere to feed her kitten food as it is higher in calories

When can I get her spayed?

louise_81
06-08-2009, 09:18 PM
can anyone help

dandysmom
06-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Sorry, Louise, Ive never had a post-birth female so no idea what to watch for. Smudgley's comments sound sensible to me.

Mags
06-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Thank you.

Is there any special food that I can feed her to build her up? I read somewhere to feed her kitten food as it is higher in calories

When can I get her spayed?
Have a look here (http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk/index.asp?m=EX5) .......... scroll down to the bit about Age at Neutering, when the kittens are weaned, she can be speyed ......that's about 8 weeks.

Please be aware that a cat can become pregnant almost immediately after having her kittens.....

louise_81
06-08-2009, 11:54 PM
I thought that!

My plan is that she will be a house cat when she comes to me (she is a free to good home cat), for as long as possible. I am hoping that she comes to me in good condition and that I can have it done sometimes in the two weeks that I am off (roll on4pm tomorrow). She is going to be vet checked on Tuesday, regardless.

Also hoping that previous owners realise this and that I am not carrying their buck, if you see what I mean!!!

Mags
07-08-2009, 12:10 AM
I hope she settles in well with you........looking forward to seeing pics of her:D

dandysmom
07-08-2009, 02:50 AM
Same here! .....

Elaine
07-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Poor baby, I hope she is well when you get her and wish you all well for the future.