PDA

View Full Version : Help Please - Can I keep my Cat?

Casper'sMum
05-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi

I haven't posted for a while but you were all so generous and helpful I hope you don't mind I'm back.

I have a two year old siamese male house cat, who has been neutered.

My relationship has broken down and my ex who worked at home is in the spare room but will be leaving soon.

I leave for work at 7am and am home around 7pm but often must work later. My job takes me away every few months for three to five days at a time and I am never sure when this will be.

I cannot see any way I can keep him and so am at my dads right now (second night) to rehome him, me in floods of tears, Casper under the chest of drawers !

Am I right? Is there a way I haven't thought of? Are any of you single with cats at home and make it work?

Or am I doing the right thing and when I leave my cat will bond with my dad?

There is no doubt my dad will love him, he lost his own 19 yr old siamese 4 months ago and I can see Casper whenever I want.

Right now though, the blue eyes are staring at me....

Thanks

Caspers Mum

catwoman999
05-08-2009, 03:33 AM
Hello there!
I am single and live on my own. I have 4 house cats, I work full time and am out of the house most of the day.
Also way back when I had only one cat, I worked all day and my cat was fine (cats sleep alot)!!!!
I am sure Casper will be fine at your dads after a settling in period, and as you said you can still see him.
....There is another option, get another cat to keep Casper company during the day when you are working...:D
There are some things to consider before doing so, cats don't usually take to each other right away and may hiss and growl at each other for days maybe weeks,before they become friends. Generally its easier to introduce a kitten to the original cat. And male to male, or female to male are easiest. Female to female can be a nightmare to introduce, and may never be friends but simply tolerate one another.
I WISH YOU AND CASPER THE BEST!!!

yola
05-08-2009, 08:43 AM
I have a friend who lives alone, works long hours and is away abroad for sometimes several weeks at a time. She's always had cats and they have got used to this unsual pattern. She also has good neighbours who feed and keep an eye on the cats where she's away.

Reading your situation, I would say that the best option would be to leave Casper with your Dad. You know him, hopefully Casper is familiar with him, you will have access to see him whenever your like and if your situation were to change your Dad might be willing to had Casper back (but don't count on that ;) ).

From what I know of Siamese they are cats who are social and prefer company so not sure if he'd be totally happy all day on his own . . . best of luck, it's horrible when a relationship ends so one less worry in knowing Casper's got a great home with your Dad must be a good thing.

dinahsmum
05-08-2009, 09:28 AM
I do feel sorry for you.
It feels to me that the best solution might be to leave him with your Dad.
I used to have a Siamese and she got cross with me if I took the dogs out and left her alone for an hour - I don't think she would have coped with several days by herself.
I hope you find a solution that suits you all

Kim
05-08-2009, 11:08 AM
I agree with Yola - excellent advice as usual.

angieh
05-08-2009, 11:27 AM
It's a very sad situation and I feel sorry for you too.

I have never had a Siamese but those that have have said that Siamese are sociable creatures, more so than a moggie. I feel that you are actually lucky enough to have already found the perfect solution. Casper will settle with your Dad, your Dad will have a companion again after losing his long time friend and you will be able to see Casper whenever you are able. I would not want to leave a cat alone all day and have to rely on friends or neighbours to keep an eye on him, not on a regular basis. You won't have to worry about him if you have to go away for your job.

It's an emotional wrench, but I feel once you've decided, you'll be able to move on. I do hope this hasn't sounded hard hearted, it's not meant to, as I do sympathise.

pcspik
07-08-2009, 07:56 PM
I am single, and both my cats are indoors only. They seem to cope fine, cats are pretty adaptable.

However saying that I do not work full time so my cats are not left alone tons of times.

dandysmom
07-08-2009, 08:13 PM
I agree that the Dad option would be the best under he circumstances. Siamese are very much people cats.

Elaine
08-08-2009, 10:15 AM
I am so sorry, must be heart breaking. I think as others have said that your dad would be the best option, atleast for the time being. xxx

jan
08-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Hi there,
has Casper settled in yet? I do hope there s some improvement now and he has ventured out from the chest of drawers! I have four house cats by the way, and as long as they are fed I am sure they are quite happy to be alone but they arent left for great lenghts of time and they arent siamese so I think also that your Dad is the perfect solution. Wishing you all the best Jan x

MadCatLady
11-08-2009, 04:17 AM
OK... I work a 24 hr a day/ 7days a week shift pattern, some 8hr shifts some 12hrs and overtime... I have 8 happy, reasonably well balanced cats, in my Fab Feline Tribe.... go figure? ;)

Probably better balanced than their slave to be honest... but you need to decide whats best for all of you... surely seeing him occasionally is better than not at all? :(

But I see no reason why cats cannot stay home... just make sure they have plenty to do, ball games, puzzle boards & scratichin posts etc....