PDA

View Full Version : Litter problems!!!!

Tanya
04-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Hello again!!

I am having serious problems with one of my kittens. The problem seems to be getting worse, so I was hoping for some advice from someone more experienced than myself.

Alfie (who is 14 weeks) makes a complete and utter mess every time he has a poo. There is never more than one poop in the litter tray because I scoop as soon as I smell it. Every time he poops he stands in it and walks it all over the carpet. It goes everywhere. He gets it on the wall, sometimes misses the tray completely, etc. It is driving me crazy. I am constantly scrubbing carpets, washing cat bedding (and ours), wiping walls and everything else.

The litter tray is not too small ... it is a big one with a lip ... My three year old cat (Oli, who is very big - just over one stone in weight!), also has one the same size.

Alfie's sister, Ella is very clean. We do not have these problems with her. Oli was always clean too, so I have no idea what to do.

Thanks for reading my essay.

Tanya x

angieh
04-08-2009, 12:25 PM
I certainly don't envy you this problem Tanya. Yuk! I don't have experience of litter problems but what springs immediately to mind is whether there is any competition between Oli and Alfie. I assume that Oli has been neutered, but Alfie may be a bit young atm. Your problem may sort itself when Alfie is done - I really do hope so.

Hopefully others will be along shortly with better advice and helpful suggestions!

Tanya
04-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks angeig. Oli has been neutered. Alfie and Ella will be neutered and spayed in a few weeks. I am waiting for Ella's ringworm to go!!

Oli and Alfie love playing with each other. Oli even washes Alfie. Sometimes Oli pins Alfie down to bite him, but Alfie purrs the whole time.

angieh
04-08-2009, 01:09 PM
There you see! I have not been paying attention and did not realise that you are the same lady with the cat with ringworm. Sorry about that!

Sounds as if Oli and Alfie get on well together, so I'm stumped I'm afraid.

Elaine
04-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Sorry to hear that your kitten is sooo messy, am also sorry to hear about the ring worm.
It's very frustrating when cats/kittens tread poop everywhere.
Have you thought about an enclosed litter box for him? It may help reduce atleast some of the mess and maybe even an old bit of carpet or an old towel for him to step out onto.
I would imagine that as he is just a baby, this is something that he will grow out of but I do understand your frustration.

Tanya
04-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks Elaine.

I did think about buying an enclosed litter tray BUT since I have bought the new litter tray he doesn't kick it out of the box, he just stands in the poop and doesn't clean his backside afterwords!

janey83
05-08-2009, 11:59 AM
I know exactly how you feel, my boyfriends cat Leo is the same, he will go the loo and if he gets it in the tray he'll start to cover it up, kicking the litter out all over the kitchen floor... then turns around and walks in it, he also doesnt clean himself after it. He's so scruffy.
Leo doesnt even cover up his own wee! Jake does it instead.

My bf comes home to this every day after work, it drives him mad. He also finds it on window sills and things.

dinahsmum
05-08-2009, 12:43 PM
I think you may just have the feline equivalent of a mucky pup! I do hope he grows out of it.
In the meantime a washable mat, bit of plastic sheeting or newspaper for the tray to stand on, might help a bit.

MadCatLady
11-08-2009, 01:06 AM
Enclosed litter trays have helped reduce some of the mess with my Feline Tribe.... but i also stand them in the giant under the bed plastic boxes to limit mess too.... ;)

My 8 have 3 large enclosed litter trays and Dawson is just the same about covering pooh etc.... He uses the tray and then comes out, looks around, makes eye contact with me and then just walks away from the tray in disgust!! Ocassionally looking over his shoulder as if to say 'you should see the mess someone left in that tray... nasty!' :roll:

Even tho Alfie is only 14wks it could partly be a scenting thing and another tray may help.... or get him to observe Ella and then he may start to realise what he needs to do... soon as he's been in the tray get him & wipe his feet and bum and he'll soon see how embarrassing it is and start to clean himself!! :o

Evil Evvie has the opposite problem to Dawson tho and she will spend hours burying pooh, her own or someone elses... but unfortunatley she usually ends up throwing more litter out of the covered tray and into the lounge... Bless :shock:

Leesy
11-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Hang on in there, it will get better given a bit of time and coaching, both M&M when they were that age always used to tread in their poops as they were trying to cover them up (bless them), but they have now perfected the art;) .