PDA

View Full Version : New to Catsey & need advice on my 1st ever pregnant cat

jessies mum
03-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi All,

My name is Becky.

I have a pregnant cat - Jessie who is a year and a half old Tabby.

I have never had a pregnant cat before and only noticed that she was pregnant when she started gaining weight and her teets were swelling. I'm not sure how far gone she is, would say approximately 5 weeks. I've noticed though that here eyes have gone slitted and are watery and her bum is very red and she's licking it a lot, is this normal? :roll:

Also I would appreciate any advice on what I should be doing and when I have to do it. Thanks everyone. :)

Elaine
03-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Any particular reason as to why you hadnt had her speyed?
I'd recomend you have her checked by a vet.

jessies mum
03-08-2009, 05:34 PM
No reason. Just didn't got round to it.

Elaine
03-08-2009, 05:34 PM
I see from your profile that you say you plan to breed, is this the planned pregnancy?
Can I ask why you want to breed moggies? There are after all so many already in rescue and so many that rescues dont have room for. Not to mention all the poor diseased cats that are pts every year.

Elaine
03-08-2009, 05:35 PM
No reason. Just didn't got round to it.

Are you winding me up?

jessies mum
03-08-2009, 05:41 PM
It was not a planned pregnancy. What I meant was we are planning to let her have these kittens, there was no options for that. I'm not looking for a lecture, I just want advice. I take good care of my cats and there will be no exception for these kittens. Please don't judge me and mind your own business in future.

Moli
03-08-2009, 05:46 PM
I foster for the CP, and the amount of cats and kittens in rescue and also waiting to come in, I cannot understand why you would want to breed her.....:?

Elaine
03-08-2009, 05:51 PM
And advice I'm sure you'll get, I did advise that you shoulod get her to the vet for a check over.
Moggy breeding is a very emotive subject and I wont mind my own business where this is concerned as you are only adding to an already very large problem.

Mags
03-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Hello Becky, welcome to Catsey...

I hope you may find this article (http://www.mismatch.co.uk/kittening.htm) helpful regarding the actual birth.

In the meantime I would recommend you getting Jessie checked over by the vet who would be able to give you an idea when the kittens are likely to be born. I'm not sure what the "slitted" eyes could be but again your vet will check her.

I hope all goes well for Jessie.

Elaine
03-08-2009, 05:59 PM
The feline advisory bureau has a wealth of info o0n pregnant cats. The fact you have posted on a public forum makes it every ones business anyway.

Luke
03-08-2009, 07:38 PM
This happens a LOT on dogsey, I thought we'd be a bit different over here. There's no need to take an almost patronising tone with newbies, and please mods and co don't start with the "i can't see where the new member has been patronised" as usual, as tbf as usual it's plainly obvious!
As Elaine stated, it's an emotive subject. We all know the rescue problem, and without turning this into a MASSIVE debate as it's been done to death so don't use this as a starting que please, I just feel we should EDUCATE rather than talk down to. Or constantly recite how it's unconceiveable how someone wants their moy to have kittens etc, it just creates a real amount of bad feeling when so much more could be done to educate new members. And that's not saying "yes lets just have the attitude of well their here now, or arriving soon so it's done", it's merely pointing out that in many cases but specifically this, there are infact more than one way to skin a cat.
Welcome to catsey, I wish you all the best with the kittens.

jessies mum
03-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Thank you to those who have helped so far and those of you who have been welcoming.

I can assure all those who are concerned that I am a huge animal lover and I really do care about the health and well-being of ALL animals. I did not and still do not intend to breed from my cats. Once Jessie has had her litter, and it is amicable to do so I will have her spayed. I am that concerned about her that is why I have come on to Catsey to get advice. I understand this is a public forum and what I talk about is everyone's business but that's no need to judge me and to try and tell me how I should look after my cats.

More advice is still very much welcome :)

angieh
03-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Without getting embroiled, I do think you would do best to get her vet checked, as you say her bottom looks sore.

I hope that the birth goes well and that you can find good homes for the kittens. I myself am taking a kitten from a friend of a friend whose little girl escaped and got herself pregnant. I have been assured that the mother cat will be spayed ASAP and have to trust that is the case.

Phoenix
03-08-2009, 08:04 PM
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd95/rescuecatsrule/Welcome%20Graphics/100-0043-1.gif

Welcome to Catsey :-D

Can't really add anything to what's already been said apart from welcoming you.

Elaine
03-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Thank you to those who have helped so far and those of you who have been welcoming.

I can assure all those who are concerned that I am a huge animal lover and I really do care about the health and well-being of ALL animals. I did not and still do not intend to breed from my cats. Once Jessie has had her litter, and it is amicable to do so I will have her spayed. I am that concerned about her that is why I have come on to Catsey to get advice. I understand this is a public forum and what I talk about is everyone's business but that's no need to judge me and to try and tell me how I should look after my cats.

More advice is still very much welcome :)

I didnt, I said that a vets advice should be sought and asked why you would want to contribute to an already huge problem. Your response was at first flippant that i thought you were perhaps a troll trying to instigate a scene. Your profile also stated that you wanted to be a breeder and that you owned moggies.

jessies mum
04-08-2009, 09:00 AM
I understand the problem & totally comprehend it.

Sorry I made a few mistakes on my profile. I am new and its bound to happen. Perhaps I put this in the wrong area.

But you DID pounce on me and immediately assume that I was inflicting cruelty on animals and you should not assume that people who are new on here are "winding you up". perhaps a more welcoming approach would of answered the matter for you more easily. :roll:

Elaine
04-08-2009, 09:15 AM
I did not pounce, I asked a question and pointed out the plight of rescue due to irresponsible breeding.
This is an argument which will always rear its ugly head and I have no wish to continue it any further on this thread.
I am NOT the devil, I am passionate about animals and speak my mind, sorry if that offends every one on this forum.

yola
04-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Becky - we are all aware that accidents do happen and if Jessie is pregnant you best recourse is to firstly get her vet checked as they will be able to date the pregnancy and carry out a health check. Depending on the stage of pregnancy you may also have the option to terminate (abort) so if you don't want the kittens that is something that can be considered. Your vet will guide you concerning any health issues that you might need to look out for whetever your decision is.

I would support Elaine however and say that she is a professional animal carer and her interest is always in the welfare of the animal concerned (she's just a bit gobby but we all love her ;) ) . Many of us also carry out voluntary work for Cats Protection (me included) and at worst witness some terrible cases of neglect and cruelty; often deliberate. At best we see many, many unwanted moggies and sometimes pedigree cats.

I'm sure you can understand that the notion of more kittens being added to this - and I'm not saying yours will end up in a similar situation; simply that if someone gives your kitten a home it means a kitten in care won't get rehomed.

That said, I'd like to welcome you and I hope you find ongoing help and support here at Catsey and please, please do have Jessie spayed as soon as she has had her kittens.

smudgley
04-08-2009, 12:00 PM
no comment :roll:

jessies mum
04-08-2009, 02:58 PM
I did not pounce, I asked a question and pointed out the plight of rescue due to irresponsible breeding.
This is an argument which will always rear its ugly head and I have no wish to continue it any further on this thread.
I am NOT the devil, I am passionate about animals and speak my mind, sorry if that offends every one on this forum.
It is not offensive. It simply demeans you as not very friendly.

Kim
04-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Hello and welcome to Catsey.

I support Elaine 100%. I worked in animal rescue for 8 years and the number of cats and kittens looking for homes is truly unbelieveable. I had a look round at my local RSPCA branch recently and again the numbers of kittens there was staggering. You may not like my opinion, but for what it is worth I think you are being irresponsible. Simply saying that you "didn't get around" to neutering your cat is no excuse. I am sure you are an animal lover and I also imagine you have the cat and kittens best interests at heart as you wouldn't have come on here. I won't say anymore, but I also think you need to take your cat to the vet to have her checked over and to give you advice & information.

jessies mum
04-08-2009, 06:40 PM
I know "I just didn't get round to it" is irresponsible. Jessie is only a year and a half old and all my three cats are my first three cats I have ever owned and my experience and knowledge of cats is sparse, although I have done as much research on them as possible. Its a fact that I acknowledge and totally comprehend, too many people who have pregnant cats are irresponsible and also inconsiderate and the poor kittens suffer. OK I think I get the message. I was wrong... I heard it and will learn from my minor mistake.

I have made an appointment to have Jessie looked at first thing in the morning. Crossed fingers all will be fine and soon we'll have some beautiful kittens, that will NOT be ill treated and will only go to GOOD homes.

Now please can we stop the lectures and debates and just wish Jessie a pleasant and safe birth. :)

Elaine
04-08-2009, 06:50 PM
I sincerely hope all goes well for her at her vet visit.

Mags
04-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Now that the air has been cleared, could we get back on topic and give Becky some of your valued advice...... which she had originally asked for, to help her see her cat through the forthcoming birth?

I'm sure we all have Jessie's welfare at heart and would like her to have a straightforward pregnancy.
:cat1

borderdawn
04-08-2009, 07:02 PM
no comment :roll:
TOTALLY, and totally agree with Elaine too, poor Cat! :evil: im assuming the Tom Cat is unknown, and with a HUGE amount of luck it wont have lethal diseases to pass on to its "mate" and offspring, because usually Tom Cats that are not neutered are stray or feral, as responsible owners have their "pets" neutered!!!! Have a read!

http://www.emblehope.co.uk/cats/stop-irresponsible-cat-breeding/

Phoenix
04-08-2009, 07:03 PM
The only advice I've got is make sure the vet knows when the kittens are going to be born and make sure he's on standby in case of emergencies

jessies mum
04-08-2009, 07:20 PM
TOTALLY, and totally agree with Elaine too, poor Cat! :evil: im assuming the Tom Cat is unknown, and with a HUGE amount of luck it wont have lethal diseases to pass on to its "mate" and offspring, because usually Tom Cats that are not neutered are stray or feral, as responsible owners have their "pets" neutered!!!! Have a read!

http://www.emblehope.co.uk/cats/stop-irresponsible-cat-breeding/
Thank you for your input. The tom cat is known and belongs to a neighbor of ours. I have no idea if he has any infections or diseases. But I am getting her examined tomorrow. As you will note in a previous thread.

Borderdown you are being extremely rude and I do not welcome your comments anymore.

Don't poor cats me. I am not an inconsiderate, cruel person. What do you expect of me?

Elaine
04-08-2009, 07:40 PM
http://www.fabcats.org/breeders/index.php
The above gives advice on pregnant queens, disease, hand rearing etc etc etc

calismum
04-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi jessies mum

I hope your vet visit goes well tomorrow and I'm sure your vet will give you lots of good advice about the impending kittens. Jessie really needs to be examined to make sure all is well and to maybe give you an idea of when the kittens are due.

I think, by now, you will have realised that we are all very passionate cat lovers here and always have their best interests at heart. It is always hard for people to express how strongly they feel about something in writing without sometimes sounding abrupt. If you read through the posts they all are saying the same thing which is - why, how, is she ok, what about disease, will she be done afterward etc. all to do with the welfare of the cat.

I have only experience of pups and a friends litter of kittens.

Mum will have them where she wants but you should try and give her a quiet place away from your other cats. Don't disturb too much in the first few days, make sure she eats and drinks, make sure babes look ok (wee fat tums and not crying all the time) Apart from that, usually mum will do all the work.

Good luck and please take the advice and comments on board in the spirit they were intended.

borderdawn
04-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Thank you for your input. The tom cat is known and belongs to a neighbor of ours. I have no idea if he has any infections or diseases. But I am getting her examined tomorrow. As you will note in a previous thread.

Borderdown you are being extremely rude and I do not welcome your comments anymore.

Don't poor cats me. I am not an inconsiderate, cruel person. What do you expect of me?
I expect as a responsible pet owner NOT to allow your Cat to get pregnant, especially when its a moggy and there are THOUSANDS needing homes! You have clearly stated you have NO idea what you are doing, how do you want responsible owners to react to you? Say "oh never mind" well thats just tough, you have purposely allowed your pet cat to get pregnant, you say you know who the father is, well thats not responsibly owned either is it? You have no idea whether your Cat has been infected with lethal diseases, nor whether her kittens will have been infected either, do you expect people to say "well done?" :evil:

Whether you "welcome" my comments anymore means absolutely diddly squat to me, YOU came on a public forum and expected pink and fluffy replies, well tough, some folk live in the real world and have to pick up the pieces of irresponsible people who allow pets to get pregnant and have no idea of what will even happen!:evil: Neutering is FREE, it should of been done, if you didnt want her done, YOU should of made sure she was SAFE when calling!:evil:

smudgley
04-08-2009, 08:55 PM
:cat14

:smt038 to Dawn.

EmmaG
04-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Have to admit I do agree with Dawn and Elaine, some cat owners do not seem to think outside of the box. If I ever had another female cat I would always make sure she is spayed ASAP. Far far too many cats/kittens in rescue centres. (All of my cats have been rescues - although one private rescue -all of my female cats have been spayed)

However I do hope that everything goes well at the vets.

Kim
04-08-2009, 11:11 PM
:smt038 Dawn

catwoman999
05-08-2009, 02:34 AM
Harsh, but VERY true words spoken! Waaaay too many homeless cats/kittens out there. But I truely believe its not only people breeding moggies at fault, but also the MANY pedigree breeders as well.
Its not rocket science to remember to neuter your cat at 5/6 months, and 'forgetting' is not a good enough excuse! My two females were done as soon as they hit 6 months.
But 'Jessies Mum' there is a great wealth of info on the net on how to go forward and take care of Jessie during her pregnancy/birth and nursing. Even go to library....
Hope you do go to vet and everything is fine.
'Slitty eyes' that you mentioned could be an indication of de-hydration,pain or illness. And cats bottom can swell a bit near time of birth, a bit worrying if this has happened early.
Best of Luck!

jessies mum
05-08-2009, 07:56 AM
I expect as a responsible pet owner NOT to allow your Cat to get pregnant, especially when its a moggy and there are THOUSANDS needing homes! You have clearly stated you have NO idea what you are doing, how do you want responsible owners to react to you? Say "oh never mind" well thats just tough, you have purposely allowed your pet cat to get pregnant, you say you know who the father is, well thats not responsibly owned either is it? You have no idea whether your Cat has been infected with lethal diseases, nor whether her kittens will have been infected either, do you expect people to say "well done?" :evil:

Whether you "welcome" my comments anymore means absolutely diddly squat to me, YOU came on a public forum and expected pink and fluffy replies, well tough, some folk live in the real world and have to pick up the pieces of irresponsible people who allow pets to get pregnant and have no idea of what will even happen!:evil: Neutering is FREE, it should of been done, if you didnt want her done, YOU should of made sure she was SAFE when calling!:evil:
That is very disrespectful of you. I am not an irresponsible owner. If I was I wouldn't bother with taking her to the vets or even coming on here. You are a vicious person and would never want to leave cats in the care of you, just judging by your tone!

laragreg
05-08-2009, 08:32 AM
:shock:

hope all goes well at the vets.

I agree that all cats should be neutered but this was all very harsh and a bit like bullying :oops:.

Can I ask are your other cats neutered? if not please please get it done there are tooooooo many kittens out there.

borderdawn
05-08-2009, 12:44 PM
That is very disrespectful of you. I am not an irresponsible owner. If I was I wouldn't bother with taking her to the vets or even coming on here. You are a vicious person and would never want to leave cats in the care of you, just judging by your tone!
Thank you! ;) In my line of work I only care for responsibly owned pets, so I doubt you'd ever be in a position to refuse me. ;) :-D

Poor cat, I feel so sorry fo her.:(

catwoman999
05-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Beginning to think 'Jessies mum' is just on here as a hoax to bait a very emotive subject.....

borderdawn
05-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Beginning to think 'Jessies mum' is just on here as a hoax to bait a very emotive subject.....
Possibly, but there is no doubting the amount of irresponsibly bred animals there are out there, bred by people who have no idea and very little concern.

Some people think I am "anti breeding" absolutely NOT, I have 4 pedigree Cats and two rescue Cats, I show dogs and am breeding a litter shortly, I just have a HUGE problem with irresposibility and the fact that such people want others to think everything is fine with breeding these moggies, its NOT!

Kim
05-08-2009, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't worry Dawn (although I doubt you are worried! ;) ) It frustrates me too. :roll: but I think we all know how responsible you are and that you are a caring & capable pet owner.

smudgley
05-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Thank you! ;) In my line of work I only care for responsibly owned pets, so I doubt you'd ever be in a position to refuse me. ;) :-D

:-D.............................

Az
05-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Hi All, I would appreciate you guys looking at this thread:

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=33591

And keeping this one on topic and in spirit of how the thread was started (ie for info).

Thanks.

Phoenix
05-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Have to admit I do agree with Dawn and Elaine, some cat owners do not seem to think outside of the box. If I ever had another female cat I would always make sure she is spayed ASAP. Far far too many cats/kittens in rescue centres. (All of my cats have been rescues - although one private rescue -all of my female cats have been spayed)

However I do hope that everything goes well at the vets.

Same here!

HappyKatz
05-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Hello :smt039 Yes you should of got your cat spayed but it is too late for that now. I will not say any negative comments but please get her spayed after the birth of her kittens when shes ready. Spaying is a good thing :) It will help your sweet cat Jessie. :cat27

As for the birth of the kittens, I do hope the best for Jessie & the kittens :smt049 I hope the birth goes smoothly & I hope you find loving homes for the kittens. Make sure you are there when it happens because delivery isn't always easy. There may be problems that you have to help her with. Delivery is going to be messy, hard on Jessie, & a big change for her. Shes going to have to go from just being a cat to having to take care of kittens now. There are so many things you need to know about delivery of kittens. All I can say is just be ready for anything. Best of luck to your precious Jessie :smt049

Here are articles that I found for you:

http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/CATS/catbirth.HTM (This is a good one)
http://www.ehow.com/how_2260_deliver-kittens.html (Another good one)
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/howto15.html

pcspik
07-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Neutering is FREE

I am confused about the free part. I thought the only way you could get it for a reduced cost is if you were in receipt of certain benefits via a voucher from either the RSPCA or the Cats Protection. Even then the voucher is not worth the full price, you would have to pay the outstanding amount (for example if the voucher was worth £26 and your vet charged £43.90 then you would have to pay £17.90).

But if the OP was not in receipt of benefits, then they would be liable for the full price.

I know occasionally local Cat Protection branches do neutering roadshows (ours did one last year) where they can be done there and then (or in our case, done for free provided people take it to our vets) and some branches offer an chance for it to be done at a much lower cost (£5) but again these are subject to a person being on a benefit.

If someone could help me out in explaining this I would be greatful.

catwoman999
07-08-2009, 08:22 PM
I am confused about the free part. I thought the only way you could get it for a reduced cost is if you were in receipt of certain benefits via a voucher from either the RSPCA or the Cats Protection. Even then the voucher is not worth the full price, you would have to pay the outstanding amount (for example if the voucher was worth £26 and your vet charged £43.90 then you would have to pay £17.90).

But if the OP was not in receipt of benefits, then they would be liable for the full price.

I know occasionally local Cat Protection branches do neutering roadshows (ours did one last year) where they can be done there and then (or in our case, done for free provided people take it to our vets) and some branches offer an chance for it to be done at a much lower cost (£5) but again these are subject to a person being on a benefit.

If someone could help me out in explaining this I would be greatful.

Ditto!!!! I wasn't aware of FREE neut/spay either! Only the voucher scheme as detailed above. Though, occassionally a charity will run a free scheme, but they are few and far between...
Maybe the PDSA (people on council tax benefit)????
I will try and find out and post back :cool:

catwoman999
07-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Nope, even PDSA charge for this, though much cheaper than a private vet.
Not all treatment at the PDSA is free/donation, to people on benefits...

pcspik
07-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Maybe the PDSA (people on council tax benefit)????

The PDSA say on their certificate (Basically you have to have a certificate in order to get treatment at a level you can afford at. You cannot say that "Oh I am on Housing Benefit" in order to claim help from the PDSA. You have to complete a form, attach proof you are on the correct benefit and give them a Postal Order for £5 in order to get your certificate) that they do not provide help for the cost of the neutering. The certificate also says other thing which they dont pay for e.g. vaccinations. Which means that you have to go to the RSPCA/Cats Protection to get the voucher. But again, that is subject to someone being on benefits, and of course being on the right benefit.

However, that is at the veterinary practices which are part of the PDSA scheme. The PDSA may offer free neutering at one of their hospitals (there is not one in my area though) but I would think that would be subject to someone being on benefits. If someone was on simply a low income (but not claiming any eligible benefit) then they would be liable for the full cost and they would not be able to get it done at a PDSA hospital.

catwoman999
07-08-2009, 08:59 PM
The PDSA say on their certificate (Basically you have to have a certificate in order to get treatment at a level you can afford at. You cannot say that "Oh I am on Housing Benefit" in order to claim help from the PDSA. You have to complete a form and give them a Postal Order for £5 in order to get your certificate) that they do not provide help for the cost of the neutering. The certificate also says other thing which they dont pay for e.g. vaccinations. Which means that you have to go to the RSPCA/Cats Protection to get the voucher. But again, that is subject to someone being on benefits, and of course being on the right benefit.

However, that is at the veterinary practices which are part of the PDSA scheme. The PDSA may offer free neutering at one of their hospitals (there is not one in my area though) but I would think that would be subject to someone being on benefits. If someone was on simply a low income (but not claiming any eligible benefit) then they would be liable for the full cost.

Wasn't aware of the £5 postal order to get certificate , are you sure you have your facts right before posting???!!!!
And yes, I realise that you can't just say " I am on benefit".
THE FACTS ARE....They take all your details OVER THE PHONE when you make an appointment, and you sign a form when you attend your vet appointment, and have to supply proof of I.D and a letter confirming you are on Housing benefit or Council tax benefit or both!!! Did some work experience there...

catwoman999
07-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Oh, and i forgot to say you get a 'Client agreement' that you have to keep and bring with you everytime you attend the PDSA, OR YOUR ANIMAL MAY NOT BE SEEN!!!! It lasts for 6 months even if your circumstances change... And of course you are expected to make a donation of what you can afford on every visit. But some people don't make a donation, which is fine....

pcspik
07-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Wasn't aware of the £5 postal order to get certificate , are you sure you have your facts right before posting???!!!!

I have a current PDSA application form as one of my cats is with the PDSA, and it says so that you have to enclose a Postal Order. It used to be £3 but they put it up last year. I can scan it but I cannot do it until tomorrow.

However my local PDSA is not a hospital but is a ordinary veterinary practice that does PDSA work, the procedure may differ with one of their hospitals.

So yes, I am correct.

EmmaG
07-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Thought I heard on the news that the RSPCA were offering free neutering for cats due to the ongoing overpopulation.

EmmaG
07-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Yes it is the RSPCA who are doing this.

This is from ONE of their local sites

http://www.barrieranimalcareclinic.co.uk/chip_snip.htm

catwoman999
07-08-2009, 09:21 PM
I have a current PDSA application form as one of my cats is with the PDSA, and it says so that you have to enclose a Postal Order. It used to be £3 but they put it up last year. I can scan it but I cannot do it until tomorrow.

However my local PDSA is not a hospital but is a ordinary veterinary practice that does PDSA work, the procedure may differ with one of their hospitals.

So yes, I am correct.

Apologies, I was referring to the PDSA actual hospital...
It must work differently if accessing PDSA services through a Private vet :( Sorry!!!
No need to scan, I believe you:p

pcspik
07-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Yes it is the RSPCA who are doing this.

Is that all RSPCA branches or is it just that particular one?

Also another thing, sometimes vets will do "special offers". For example a month ago a new vet opened up in town. They are doing an offer (which runs until September) which you can chip and neuter your pet for £20, but it would be of course subject to you registering with them.

EmmaG
07-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I think it applies to all branches but as per that site it says you need to check your area.

pcspik
07-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Apologies, I was referring to the PDSA actual hospital...
It must work differently if accessing PDSA services through a Private vet :(

It is ok, glad we got it sorted out. My local vet does not ask for photo ID, though, just the relevant documentation, application form and Postal Order.

They also say that it can take a month for the certificate to come through (however in reality it depends on how quickly it gets done, once I had my new certificate back in 10 days). Like the PDSA hospitals, it is only valid for 6 months, and of course, you need to bring your certificate with you each time you bring your pet for treatment. If you forget, then you are liable for full cost. Again, they will ask for a donation each time your vet treats your pet (the only time I didn't get charged was last year when I had my cat PTS. I paid full cost for the cremation because I wanted Jack's ashes back, but if I did not want his ashes back apparently they covered that).

pcspik
07-08-2009, 09:36 PM
I think it applies to all branches but as per that site it says you need to check your area.

Thanks. Again it is subject to anyone being on the relevant benefits, which the OP (or anyone else in this situation) may not be. So it all very well people saying that you can get free neutering but in reality, if you do not for fill the criteria than you are liable for the full cost. Which puts off some people.

catwoman999
07-08-2009, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=pcspik;571033]It is ok, glad we got it sorted out. My local vet does not ask for photo ID, though, just the relevant documentation, application form and Postal Order.

Yeah, photo I.D not required at PDSA hospital either, just maybe a bank card/post office card and a utility bill as proof of address....
Sorry, to here about Jack heavenly cat kisses to him!

pcspik
07-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Sorry, to here about Jack heavenly cat kisses to him!

Thanks for that. It's coming up to a year now since I lost him, so he has been on my mind lately. He was my first proper kitty and also my first FIV kitty.

catwoman999
07-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Thanks for that. It's coming up to a year now since I lost him, so he has been on my mind lately. He was my first proper kitty and also my first FIV kitty.

Ditto! My first cat Gem was pts 27th of August 2008 at the grand old age of 21. Thus, she is also very much on my mind at the moment also!
How old was Jack? And was it the FIV that he succumbed to?

borderdawn
07-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Our local CP will neuter free for those on benefits.

pcspik
08-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Our local CP will neuter free for those on benefits.

That is not true of all CP's. Mine (well the one I volunteer for) will only give out the vouchers which will cover part of the cost.

catwoman: Jack was pts because of kidney failure in the end.

smudgley
08-08-2009, 07:33 PM
There are lots of opportunities for free neutering.

You do not neccessarily have to be in receipt of any benefits to have a part or full cost voucher from CP (depending on individual policies of local branches)

calismum
08-08-2009, 09:48 PM
There are lots of opportunities for free neutering.

You do not neccessarily have to be in receipt of any benefits to have a part or full cost voucher from CP (depending on individual policies of local branches)

When I found my three ferals living in the coal shed I already had two other cats. I contacted local CP asked if they would assist with neutering and I would house, feed and vaccinate for their lifes. They sent me vouchers for all three. SInce then I do a small fund raise for them every year. They do a great job and many cats are betteroff thanks to them.

borderdawn
09-08-2009, 09:12 AM
That is not true of all CP's. Mine (well the one I volunteer for) will only give out the vouchers which will cover part of the cost.

catwoman: Jack was pts because of kidney failure in the end.
I did say my local branch, I cant vouch for others, although Im fairly sure they will all help in some way. There is still no excuse, its hardly the most expensive thing in the world.

kado
09-08-2009, 03:21 PM
I have to stick my nose in this thread. I use the pdsa and had simon and kay vac, chipped and neutered there at a fraction of the cost simon was done because it was an emergency though. I apply every six months to have my entitlement renewed. Kado and Guinness i got neutered at a private vet. Troy, Chester and lucky where all neutered at my vets with a cats protection voucher. The voucher covers just the spey there they dont include the ab jab or the pain jab. I will have my Gabriela spey as soon as the vets will allow her to be done. She has about 11 days to go now. I havent posted very much on here as i or anybody deserve the critism that they get sometimes. The majority of people come on here to ask for her not be sl****d off. If a vister that found this site looked through all the threads they would probaly not join in case they got shouted at. On the other hand i respect people views but keep it pleasant as possible. I was going to end my membership on here but i still will need help and your all a part of simon and kays family.
I wish you good luck with the kitties

jane

catwoman999
09-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Only the people who 'the cap fits' will take offense!!!!
The thread was a tiny bit harsh, but if you read it carefully Jessiesmum was the one who took offense to good advice,and kicked off the arguement. I gave her the medical advice she was looking for in a pleasant manner but she ignored my post, with no thanks, instead she carried on baiting poor Elaine and Borderdawn.... To be honest I think Jessiesmum was just a troll looking for trouble!!!!!
Kado I could say more, but I am new to this forum and won't. But have been a guest for many months, WATCHING!!! And I respect what Elaine has to say VERY much.
Mmmmmmm too many cats with very little knowledge, lifting what could be someones pet and can't handle the truth me thinks!
Kado, I wouldn't be so quick to criticise the people you want help and info from. Just a word in your shell like....

kado
09-08-2009, 04:43 PM
I do take realy offense to your attitude towards me. I have a right to comment havent i like you have just done. I have never lifted any cat let alone any animal. The 3 strays i took in aged between 5 wks and 2years where all abandon. They couldnt find any chip on them what so ever. I informed every vet and rescue place around my area for all three of them. I also informed the pdsa and rspca as well they both have my number. I am not critising anybody just voicing a oppion.

Az
09-08-2009, 04:49 PM
I agree with Kado. If you can't be polite and considerate then don't post.

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=33591

kado
09-08-2009, 04:53 PM
AZ i have pm you

catwoman999
09-08-2009, 04:57 PM
I thought I was polite :( Sorry if offense was taken....

Az
09-08-2009, 05:00 PM
I was speaking generally - that people should remain polite when posting, even if someone's actions has peed them off :lol:

catwoman999
09-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Hello AZ!!! Kado says she has the right to comment, which of course she does!!! But am I not allowed to comment in return?????
I am a vet nurse, and thought I could add something to this forum, and I am not into people tell tailing!! When I'm is just trying to set the record straight about what I thought about how this thread was started!!!!

catwoman999
09-08-2009, 05:03 PM
:D Ok Az, point taken, my neck is reeled back in. But I know who the good guys are ;) As I have said, been a guest for many months....

kado
09-08-2009, 05:07 PM
You are allowed to comment. I was the part about lifting what could be someones pet that hurt me the most not anything else. Some where there was a part about the pdsa and that is the only reason i replyed. They cared for simon over the last week of his life which is still hitting me now. I am very protective towards my animals as well and i got them all honestly

catwoman999
09-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Ok Kado.... Sorry, if I offended you! It was just the impression you gave on another thread, on how you came by your newest cat. You didn't put on there that you had tried to find the owners, my mistake...

kado
09-08-2009, 05:20 PM
appoliges exopected. In the village where i live its a dumpng groung for all cats and sometimes dogs. I tried to get a rescue to come out for the last 2 but they where all full. So what could i do.

catwoman999
09-08-2009, 05:23 PM
You have certainly got your work cut out with THAT many cats!!!! Your heart is in the right place, but is your mind! (Just a joke, before you take the huff with me again)... Sometimes you have to say enough is enough....;)

kado
09-08-2009, 05:43 PM
i know where you are coming from. Lucky all the house hold love my cats and help me. I am spending no more on food they where all on dry for the 6 of them as i do now.

Kazz
09-08-2009, 06:04 PM
You have certainly got your work cut out with THAT many cats!!!! Your heart is in the right place, but is your mind! (Just a joke, before you take the huff with me again)... Sometimes you have to say enough is enough....;)

I like you.....:-D

Kado I like you too :-D but this poster has sarcasm...maybe it is the lowest form of wit but hey I am a short person.:roll:

catwoman999
09-08-2009, 06:22 PM
I think I need to tone it down though, I may get kicked off this site....

catwoman999
09-08-2009, 06:38 PM
I like you.....:-D

Kado I like you too :-D but this poster has sarcasm...maybe it is the lowest form of wit but hey I am a short person.:roll:

Thank you:cool:

But some people cannot stand the heat in the kitchen lol....

I like you too!!! Read many of your posts...

Kazz
09-08-2009, 06:45 PM
I think I need to tone it down though, I may get kicked off this site....

Don't worry overly we throw dummies and toys out of prams sometimes but mostly we are okay......well I am the rest of them are all right but I am half left....;)

Kazz
09-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Thank you:cool:

But some people cannot stand the heat in the kitchen lol....

I like you too!!! Read many of your posts...

Thats my opinion of you gone down then reading my posts......:roll: ...waste of time.

catwoman999
09-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Thats my opinion of you gone down then reading my posts......:roll: ...waste of time.

Lol, you do make me laugh Kazz...
Sense of humour goes a long way

kado
09-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Its probaly me having a off day too. You all gave brilliant advice about simon and i know that you will if any of my cats are having difficulties. I do have a vet on stand by for maisey just incase.