PDA

View Full Version : Do you put collars on your cats?

moonstone
25-07-2009, 10:09 PM
I am trying to decide trying to get my new kittens to wear collars:D none of my other cats have them:(
I did try with Polly and Magick but they flatly refused to wear them and after Polly nearly passed out with shock i gave up:( (nearly passed out with shock myself after seeing her lying on the floor hyperventilating:shock: )
I am having the new kits chipped next week and all my others are already done so have I.D. on them but would it be better for them to have visible I.D by wearing a collar?
I am not keen on collars as one of my cats some years ago got hers caught in next door,s wire fence and nearly hung herself:shock: luckily the neighbour,s managed to free her for me but i took all my other cats collars off after that:?
Wonder what you guy,s think on the subject:?

calismum
25-07-2009, 10:14 PM
I've always put a collar on my cats. However, after reading through a few threads here I now only use the quick release ones.

I just think a cat looks more 'owned' wearing a collar. I hope/think people may make more of an effort if they found a stray/lost cat who was wearing one. That may, of course, be rubbish!!

I think if you've had a bad experience then understand why you are cautious.

dandysmom
25-07-2009, 10:54 PM
As mine are/were indoors only (location: directly on busy heavily trafficed street and near woods with foxes, etc) I have never used collars. I probably would if I,were in a area where it would be safe for them to go outdoors. But only the safe-release ones.

pcspik
25-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Mine are indoors only, so they do not need one. They do have one each, but Tigger (my female) keeps on somehow getting hers off, so I dont bother. They are both chipped however.

If you are going to put collars on them (both of my collars have a tag which states: "IDENTICHIP SCAN ME" so if they were wearing them they would know they belong to someone and not purely strays) I would only use the quick release ones. Cats can so easily get strangled or suffer an nasty injury if any other type is used as the original poster has found out. I personally think that all cat collars except the quick-release type should be banned.

angieh
25-07-2009, 11:04 PM
My cats have all worn collars. Kizzy, my current lovely darling is chipped but also has a collar. They have been or are all outdoor cats. Do make sure to get the safety quick release catch though.

farthing
26-07-2009, 12:16 AM
I don't put collars on mine anymore. I heard too many horror stories of cats being caught by them. The couple of my cats who go out never wander off our land now, so its not really an issue.

kado
26-07-2009, 12:59 AM
I am the same its the thought that what happened if they got caught. There's only a couple of cats around here that do have them on as well.

Elaine
26-07-2009, 09:12 AM
My cats are chipped and also wear collars, the quick release kind with no elastic. The collars have my phone number printed on them rather than an id barrel.

Moli
26-07-2009, 09:58 AM
My boys are chipped, but have never worn collars..........I personally do not like them...

Mags
26-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Cassie had worn a collar since she was a kitten up until a couple of years ago when she lost the fur from the underside of her neck. It has never grown back properly since. I would never put another collar on her now.

Edited to say she is microchipped :)

smudgley
26-07-2009, 11:02 AM
All microchipped & wearing collars here.

EmmaG
26-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Both my cats have quick release collars with an id barrell. They are also both microchipped.

PoshPuss
26-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Posh is chipped and an indoor cat but wears a collar and barrel, and a bell so I know where to find her ;)

janey83
26-07-2009, 12:49 PM
My Tigger use to wear collars... (not that you could see them mind, coz of all his hair lol)

When he was a kitten he did get caught on a tree and was hanging, luckily a neighbour saw him and freed him.

He never had the quick release ones though.

Leo and Jake are indoor cats but go out on harnesses in the garden.

dandysmom
26-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Cassie had worn a collar since she was a kitten up until a couple of years ago when she lost the fur from the underside of her neck. It has never grown back properly since. I would never put another collar on her now.

Edited to say she is microchipped :)

Patches was wearing a collar when I rehomed her. There was almost no fur underneath it when I removed it it took almost a year for it to regrow properly.

Phoenix
26-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Dylan wears a collar with a bell - quick release (an attempt to minimise his hunting)

He's got a microchip, Beauty did as well. Beauty never had a collar, she refused to wear one.

Gumby Cat
29-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Solomon now wears a collar with bell, blue to match his eyes! He doesn't mind it but unfortunately it hasn't stopped him catching a bird yesterday. :( I managed to rescue her (a sparrow) and released her in a safe spot but it looked as if a wing was injured as she wasn't able to fly.

There was no sign of her today so I'm hoping she did recover enough to fly off.