PDA

View Full Version : Cat carrier recomendations

Elaine
23-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Right, G has broke Eva's cat carrier, dont ask...........:roll:
Eva ofcourse clapped her paws and cheered with joy.
Now I need to get a new cat carrier, it has to be LARGE in order to take her massive body:? and strong to take her weight, preferably a top loader option.
The last two I have had have both broke in the same place and I am kinda thinking that there might be some sort of design fault or maybe they are just not as sturdy as they appeared.
G is paying obviously so money no object for his special girl:lol:
Any suggestions or recomandations greatly apreciated.

dandysmom
23-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Can't help with this one ....different brands here; sure you'll get lots of advice. Top loader? Won't she leap out before you can close the cover? Or splay her legs sidewise so you can't get her in at all???

angieh
23-07-2009, 08:57 PM
I seem to remember someone on this Forum having one of these (http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_carriers_travel/cat_carriers_kennels/137885) - just searched on cat carrier. I am sure you could find the same thing cheaper elsewhere.

Now, was it Erin ...... or random ...... or someone else ....... ?

Mags
23-07-2009, 09:11 PM
I think it was Fran and Charlie who both had that carrier, Angie...:)

Kazz
23-07-2009, 09:33 PM
I like the ones with the lid at the top.....just plastic coated wire (easy to clean too). Pref with a tray at the bottom if possible but not esential as I layer with newspaper...towel blanket, piece of my clothing.....yes there was enough room for the cat too. ;) you can just put a towel blanket over it if as with Eva the cat does not like being seen.

cats' staff
23-07-2009, 09:36 PM
http://www.thepurrcompany.com/shopping-detail.php?prodnum=24
I like this sort (the wire cat carrier), easy (ish) to load the cat and very secure. Our lot seem to like seeing out and you can reach through for chin tickles (or general savaging....). We use old carpet in the bottom so can throw that away in case of 'accidents' and there is alo space for towels/old t shirts in the bottom. The handle isn't wonderfully comfortable to carry for a long way but generally it is my favourite. We also have a front loader but there are so many weak points where I can see this failing (two halves clip together- what if a clip breaks?) that I hate using it.

Moli
23-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Think Random has that one too....

Elaine
23-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Thanx for the suggestions so far. The cabrio would be too small for her.
I like the one that catstaff has put on but worry about the whole visabillity thing, I guess I could put a cover over it.

I find the top loaders easier to get Eva into as I can hold her legs together and manouver her easier into it.

yola
23-07-2009, 10:50 PM
I have a huge wicker carrier - it will take all 3 cats at a pinch :shock: I know there's huge resistance to wicker in preference to plastic but I have 2 of these carriers now and can't fault their strength - event withstood pre-neuter Ferdy hurling himself against the bars!!!

You can also take them outside and hose them down the same way as you would plastic . . . wicker is seriously sturdy (and environmentally friendly).