PDA

View Full Version : Tomato growing tip

dandysmom
21-07-2009, 08:36 PM
This was in a food e-letter I get. No use to me as I'm a tea drinker, but thought you might find it interesting ...

Sorry, don't know what I did to make the quote be so far down the page ...:smt017

http://e2ma.net/userdata/8461/images/templates/loulies7_06.jpg
Garden Tomato Boost

Tomatoes are the most popular homegrown vegetable in America and we are just starting the harvest in our urban backyards. To give plants a boost, use your coffee grinds as an organic mulch and fertilizer. It is a wonderful thing to nourish acid-loving plants (roses, azaleas and blueberries too). One or two tablespoons once or twice per week to each tomato plant promotes healthy plant growth. Just sprinkle around the base of the plant before watering.

Moli
21-07-2009, 08:40 PM
I used to get coffee grinds from the local coffee and used it on all kinds of plants...good stuff...

yola
21-07-2009, 09:06 PM
All our office coffee grinds (and there's lots) go onto my compost on a weekly basis. Makes the car smell like old tobacco but composts beautifully!! :-D
Not tried it on tomatoes but all old tea bags and remnants of cup contents go onto the heap aswell . . .

dandysmom
21-07-2009, 09:19 PM
All our office coffee grinds (and there's lots) go onto my compost on a weekly basis. Makes the car smell like old tobacco but composts beautifully!! :-D
Not tried it on tomatoes but all old tea bags and remnants of cup contents go onto the heap aswell . . .

Hmmmm ...wonder if my tea leaves would work? I don't have room enough for a proper compost heap.

angieh
21-07-2009, 09:42 PM
I don't really have enough coffee grounds to use, but will try to remember to compost those I do have. All my tea bags go in the Bokashi bin and from there to the compost heap, along with any other kitchen food waste.

dinahsmum
22-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Coffee grounds are also a good slug and snail deterrent - both as a physical barrier as they don't like the 'grittiness' and the aroma or whatever which they don't care for. Also a good addition to compost