PDA

View Full Version : Help with abandoned cat

JBalways2000
21-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Hi everyone!

My sister has just been on the phone to me to tell me she has been looking after a female cat for the last three days. the cat had been left behind and locked in a shed when the owner moved out(the owner was a friend of my sisters friend). my sisters friend found the cat and would have took her in herself but she already has three of her own and one of them wouldnt accept her, and thats where my sister came in.

A big part of this is that the poor cat has recently had kittens:( according to my sister the previous owner took the litter of kittens to a farm when she moved out(though my sister and her friend think this horrible person may have just killed them:( ) she says the kittens would have been around 7 weeks old and the mum is around 3 years old. it sounds like the mum is still producing milk but also has a hard lump on her stomach. i havent got a clue when it comes to breeding etc so can anyone shed some light on what this could be?

My sister lost her job a couple of months back so she cant afford to keep her and right now her friend is paying for her food etc and she also says the friend will bring the cat to the vets this week about the lump which im hoping she will. She has asked if i will take her on but i have four neutered boys myself and i dont know if that would be a wise thing to do. im trying to be sensible about this and not just jump in and say yes. ive only ever had my four boys so have obviously never owned a female cat so dont know if there is a difference in them? im assuming not really so thats probably a silly question. i also have no idea how my boys would react to a new cat, especially an older unspayed female:? I am going to think it over but i dont think it wise for me right now so i also wondered if anyone knew of any good cat rescues in the midlands(we are in birmingham) that might be able to help? i know a lady in warwickshire that im sure might be able to help if i ask but i thought it better to try more locally first.

Any other advice is most welcome. oh and obviously the cat has been kept outdoors but my sister has kept her indoors the whole three days(she says kitty is litter trained) and says she hasnt cried to be let out at all but she does think she is looking for her kittens. the poor thing. anyone know how well an outdoor cat would adjust to being kept indoors?

dandysmom
21-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Bless your sister for rescuing that poor cat! Kazz is in Birmingham and works with CP, you might give her a PM and ask her advice. An outdoor cat can adjust to being indoors, but honestly it isn't easy. ...my Patches did, but she was harness trained. No idea how your boys would react...some cats accept a new one with no problems and others resent it very much. As to the difference between males and females, I have found males more affectionate as a general rule ....

Good luck whatever you decide!

Elaine
21-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Poor girl. I'd say to pm Smudgley and Kazz, both are in the midlands and would have a better idea with regards to rescues and neutering vouchers etc. I sincerely hope the lump is nothing serious. Poor thing has had enough trauma already.

dandysmom
21-07-2009, 09:29 PM
I forgot to say Kazz is the Neutering Officer, so she could advise about a voucher for the spay. It's possible the lump could be a mammary gland infection , but the vet will know.

JBalways2000
21-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the replies, i shall give them a pm and see if they can help then. My sister says the kitty is extremely affectionate, she even put her on the phone to me so i could hear her purring and boy can she purr:lol: so despite it all it seems she is still a friendly little thing. id be very tempted but i just dont think its a sensible idea for me right now. id be worried that i would take her in to see how she got on with my guys and then i would get attached and it would kill me to have to rehome her then if my boys didnt like her or vice versa. i know Hernie would be fine, Hernie is a complete softie but not so sure about the others. anyway i shall think it over but i shall contact those rescues in the mean time because it would still be better if they could help and find her a home with someone who is actually looking to take on a new cat! lol

Im really hoping its nothing serious with her belly too, i just didnt have a clue when she asked me this evening. i really hope they manage to get her to the vets this week just incase it turns into something to worry about :?

dandysmom
21-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Please do let us know what happens ..........

yola
22-07-2009, 10:58 AM
I will PM you the mobile numbers I have for them so you can get in touch.

*edit to say, sorry I haven't got my mobile with me and the numbers are in there. If you've had no response by later this afternoon I'll have my phone when I get home.

JBalways2000
22-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Thankyou for the offer of the phone numbers. i havent actually had chance to message either of them yet and just wanted to put a quick message on to say this. im having some troubles with a couple of my own pets right now and im off to the vets in a bit so need to get my own fur babies sorted before i can sort anyone elses. im sure i will get chance to message them this evening though and i will be sure to keep everyone updated about the kitty.

dandysmom
22-07-2009, 03:56 PM
I hope it's nothing too serious with yours; please let us know about them also!

JBalways2000
23-07-2009, 12:49 PM
I have sent Smudgley a pm but does anyone have a link to pm Kazz? i want to make sure im messaging the right person lol

Unfortunately a couple of my pet mice arent very well and i had to go to the vets yesterday, one of them(Alice) has a tumour on her face :( so im feeling very stressed out and down at the moment, especially as 3 of my hamsters are now very old and one of them has a tumour too(hes had it since the start of the year but it has gotten bigger lately) so its all getting on top of me at the moment, especially as i lost my old rattie boy last week too:( just trying to get through it and stay positive at the same time as trying to sort something out for this poor kittie. really hope someone can help so that i have one less thing to worry about. shall definately keep all updated, havent spoke to my sis again yet but will ring her either this evening or tomorrow night to see if the kittie was taken to the vets.

yola
23-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Hi - Karen (Kazz) started today's Daily Thread so you can link from there.

smudgley
24-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Only just seen this, not been on for a few days as been busy organising the homing show.

I would get the cat to the vets asap as it could be mastitis, potentially very serious if untreated, but easily made better if caught early.

Which part of Birmingham is the cat in?

We can take the cat in if someone is prepared to drive her to the Stourbridge area.

Kelly

Kazz
24-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Hiya sorry....thought I had replied but it appears not but Kelly has replied. I can get the cat to stourbridge if needed. Please let me know if its needed.

JBalways2000
24-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Hi, thankyou both for getting back to me, i am thrilled that you can both help thankyou so much. i rang my sister at lunch time and she told me her friend would bring the cat to the vets next monday or tuesday :roll: i told her that someone had told me it sounds like mastitis which could be serious and if she has already had this for a week being with her then she needs to get her seen now. she said she would ring the friend and see if she could take her and ring me back tonight if she did. i didnt get a phone call:roll: i mean i cant blame my sister too much as like i said she is out of work and was the one that was asked to look after the cat, but her friend should be taking a bit more responsibility. if i didnt have so much on my plate at the moment i would just go over and get her myself to the vets.

I also told her that there has been a rescue offer but she will need to get the cat to Stourbridge. she said she would also ask her friend about this, but if she wont even take her to the vets i cant see her taking her all the way to Stourbridge:roll: So Kazz i would appreciate it immensely if you were able to help. we are both in Erdington btw. i will be ringing my sister again tomorrow to find out whats going on and if it is ok with you Kazz i shall let her know there has been an offer from you to take the cat to Smudgely.

You guys are true stars, thankyou so much for helping like this. im keeping fingers crossed that we can get something sorted quick so the poor girl has a better chance of being seen by a vet!

Kazz
26-07-2009, 05:57 PM
I will wait to hear from you then?

JBalways2000
27-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Just to let everyone know Kazz is very kindly collecting the kitty from my sister tomorrow afternoon and bringing her to a foster home in Stourbridge:D I cant explain how greatful i am to both Kazz and Kelly(and of course the foster home) for helping out in this, this is turning out to be one very lucky cat! Thankyou again guys, you are both stars:pom :bighug:

dandysmom
27-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Well done Kazz and Kelly! Catsey to the rescue; I'm so glad you and your sister have helped out this poor kitty, bless her!

Kazz
27-07-2009, 09:55 PM
No problem...seriously, happy to deliver cats for the catsey rescue machine.

Mags
27-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Kazz and Kelly..... what a great team you make!:D

So pleased that this little kitty will be getting the help it needs ....well done to all concerned!

Moli
27-07-2009, 10:08 PM
What a lovely outcome, you Kazz and Smudgley are stars..........!!!

Kazz
27-07-2009, 10:10 PM
I just drive....Kelly makes the descisions....

Elaine
28-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Well done every one.
To JBalways, for posting about the kitty.
To JBalways sister for looking after kitty up till now.
And to Kazz and Smudgley for helping it into rescue.
I love it when these things come together for the benefit of the cat.

yola
28-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Well done everyone!! It's great when another kitty gets a chance at a new life :-D

smudgley
28-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Kazz is the one doing the hard work here guys, I have just secured cat a place with a fosterer. Indoor fosterer too, so cat will be inside.

Kazz
28-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Hiya

Cat collected and dropped off at fosterer she is a lovely little thing called Dizzy (the cat not the fosterer) although she is nice too. ;)

Karen

dandysmom
28-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Well done Kazz! Hope Dizzy does well and finds a loving home thanks to all the lovely Casey people involved!

angieh
28-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Well done to everyone involved. Get well soon Dizzy and I hope you find a loving home very soon.

pinklizzy
28-07-2009, 09:16 PM
What a great ending to this story! Hope Dizzy gets her forever home very soon :D

smudgley
28-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Hiya

Cat collected and dropped off at fosterer she is a lovely little thing called Dizzy (the cat not the fosterer) although she is nice too. ;)

Karen

Thankyou Kazz, I've had a report from Julia that Dizzy has settled in really well.

Elaine
28-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Oh thats good news:D

Moli
28-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Well done to you all...job well done.............

dinahsmum
29-07-2009, 10:25 AM
That's a nice name for a cat - I hope it brings her luck finding her new home.
(What a lot of kitens there are advertised now - it must be peak season)

JBalways2000
02-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Just wanted to say thankyou again, i would have come back sooner but ive had a hell of a week myself and as i have just said in a message to Kazz, this has really taken a load off my mind in what has been a very worrying and stressful couple of weeks for me so thankyou very much. im keeping fingers crossed that kitty finds her perfect forever home soon!

I hope she got on well at the vets Smudgley? can you tell im still thinking about her?:lol:

smudgley
02-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Dizzy is fine. She is FIV / FeLV negative.

However she is pregnant again!

So she will have her litter with us.

She is nice & friendly & clean.

JBalways2000
02-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Dizzy is fine. She is FIV / FeLV negative.

However she is pregnant again!

So she will have her litter with us.

She is nice & friendly & clean.

oh my goodness:( the poor poor girl, that is so horrible that she managed to get pregnant again:( how far along is she? wierd that she was found locked in a shed and then kept at my sisters inside yet she still managed to get pregant, think she was lucky to have been abandoned by a very obviously horrible owner. oh im so upset to know she has to go through all that again the poor thing. thank god that she is safe in a foster home now being properly looked after. im glad that she is healthy otherwise, but i really am so bummed about that. atleast this will be her last litter and then she can hopefully live a stress free life in a loving home somewhere. thankyou for letting me know, i appreciate it.

smudgley
02-08-2009, 06:50 PM
No worries, I haven't actually met her yet, she went to the vets yesterday for a vet check & blood test & I had a call today to report that the test was negative but the vets say she is in the early stages of pregnancy. Don't know how far gone she is. We won't abort the litter, not somethng I like to do, so we will just hang onto her & see what happens. At least she is with an indoor fosterer not in a pen. Will keep you posted. I go on holiday soon for nearly 3 weeks, but I'm sure there will be news after I return or Kazz may hear news if there is anything to report.

PoshPuss
02-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Just catching up with this thread.Just want to hug all you girls who rallied around for Dizzy, you're very special.
Hope she has a good birth and that she and her babies find forever homes,ASAP.

JBalways2000
02-08-2009, 06:58 PM
No worries, I haven't actually met her yet, she went to the vets yesterday for a vet check & blood test & I had a call today to report that the test was negative but the vets say she is in the early stages of pregnancy. Don't know how far gone she is. We won't abort the litter, not somethng I like to do, so we will just hang onto her & see what happens. At least she is with an indoor fosterer not in a pen. Will keep you posted. I go on holiday soon for nearly 3 weeks, but I'm sure there will be news after I return or Kazz may hear news if there is anything to report.

Thankyou so much for letting me know that. i will be keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well for her and i will be wishing for a teeny tiny litter to make everyones lives easier! if you find out far along she is would you or Kazz be able to let me know? im just really suspicious now because of what i said previously about her being found locked in a shed and my sister admitted to me that she had been looking after her a little longer then she had first led me to believe :roll: but i dont think she had her for anymore then 2 weeks before Kazz collected her, i can try and find out though. im just wondering if her friend had the cat longer after finding her and thats how she got pregnant again? though of course there could be no big conspiracy going on and she could have became pregnant in the time leading up to being abandoned:oops:

im just so upset about all of this, i had hoped she would just be going on to live a happy life now, such a shame she has to go through it all again. Il just keep telling myself that she is being well looked after now and it wont be long until she can go to that forever home. oh i am such a worry wort, even when its not my own animals:oops: and no i never met her either but everyone says she is a sweet little thing bless her. ok, fingers firmly crossed for her now!

smudgley
02-08-2009, 07:20 PM
I would guess if the vets have said early stages that she is between 3 & 5 weeks. Most likely 3-4 weeks I would imagine.

JBalways2000
02-08-2009, 07:25 PM
I would guess if the vets have said early stages that she is between 3 & 5 weeks. Most likely 3-4 weeks I would imagine.

Thanks, i dont have a clue about cat pregnancys so wasnt sure how long that would mean lol i shall try and find out off my sister exactly how long she had the cat and if anyone else had her before that. i know it wont do anyone much good now to point fingers and blame but i just think it is so unfair to both the kitty and you as a rescue to have to be dealing with a pregnant cat/litter. i hate how irresponsible people can be, especially when the cats protection offer neutering vouchers etc, there is just no excuse for it :mad:

Kazz
03-08-2009, 09:22 AM
She is the most loving cat, very very friendly.

angieh
03-08-2009, 11:11 AM
So glad that this little cat is being looked after. It's a shame she's preggers, but she's one of the lucky ones who will be cared for properly during her pregnancy and birth and her kittens will also be cared for. Bless her and all people who care for the well-being of our feline friends.

smudgley
03-08-2009, 02:09 PM
STOP PRESS!!!!

She's not pregnant! :roll:

I took a call at the weekend from the girl who took the cat to the vets and said that the vets said she is pregnant & should be spayed asap if we wanted to abort the litter to which she replied she didn't know what we would do......... I informed her that if that is the case we will not abort the litter & we will let the pregnancy progress...... HOWEVER

I got a call today from the fosterer to say the cat was booked in for spay on Tuesday to which I replied.... "I thought she was pregnant!" ... she then told me that she had spoken to the vet & they thought she could be pregnant as she was lactating, but that is because she has had a litter recently.

angieh
03-08-2009, 02:40 PM
There's many a slip, as they say. Well, that's good news anyway. I seem to remember JBAlways saying something about a lump - has that gone, mastitis perhaps ....... ?

dandysmom
03-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Woo hoo, good news that she's not pregnant again!! Yes, what was the story of the lump?

JBalways2000
04-08-2009, 02:22 PM
STOP PRESS!!!!

She's not pregnant! :roll:

I took a call at the weekend from the girl who took the cat to the vets and said that the vets said she is pregnant & should be spayed asap if we wanted to abort the litter to which she replied she didn't know what we would do......... I informed her that if that is the case we will not abort the litter & we will let the pregnancy progress...... HOWEVER

I got a call today from the fosterer to say the cat was booked in for spay on Tuesday to which I replied.... "I thought she was pregnant!" ... she then told me that she had spoken to the vet & they thought she could be pregnant as she was lactating, but that is because she has had a litter recently.

:smt038 :pom

yay!:D reading this has absolutely made my day, thankyou so much for letting us know. i am over the moon that she isnt pregnant again:D its lucky that i have been too busy the last couple of days to interrogate anyone over this:oops: that could have been embarressing:oops: :lol: il keep fingers crossed that her spay goes well, this is such brilliant news. wont be long until shes in her forever home now then im sure:D

yola
04-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Super, smashing, brilliant news!!!

Kazz
04-08-2009, 07:57 PM
She's a lovely cat very friendly. Think she will be snapped up.

smudgley
04-08-2009, 09:06 PM
The lumps on her mamaries would have almost certainly been mastitis yes.

I've not met her, but she's had a full vet check & is all good.

Moli
04-08-2009, 11:32 PM
So nice to hear she is being looked after and will have a lovely new home soon, well done all of you....Another success story...:D