PDA

View Full Version : Kittens going to toilet??

Tanya
19-07-2009, 06:15 PM
We have 2 kittens who are 12 weeks old. We feed Ella and Alfie one pouch of kitten meat between them for breakfast, they have a bowl of kitten biscuits during the day a one pouch of kitten meat between them for tea. They then have a small bowl of kitten milk for bedtime. My concern is.... the amount of times they have a poo each day. They can have up to 6 poos a day each. Is this normal? I can never remember Oli (who is now 3) going to toilet that often!

Alfie (one of the kittens) makes an awful mess in his litter and tends to kick it everywhere. (EVERYWHERE!!!!) I am contemplating about getting a hooded litter tray to try and prevent the mess, but I was just querying the amount of times they toilet?!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tanya (Ella & Alfie!)

calismum
19-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Sorry I'm unsure how often my kittens 'went'. They do go more often when small though.

A hooded box is a great idea. My cat loves to dig and scatter and I have found much less mess with the covered tray.

I'd say as long as the poo is solid and the kittens are healthy then monitor it for a week or so.

Maybe someone else has more of an idea than I do.

Tanya
19-07-2009, 06:44 PM
The poo is really soft and when they cover it with litter it just goes all over the litter. (does that make sense?!) In comparison to Oli's poo, it is very soft and squidgy!

Sorry to be so graphic!

calismum
19-07-2009, 06:45 PM
I'd maybe take the milk away. Have they been wormed recently?

Tanya
19-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Yes, they were wormed last week. ;)

calismum
19-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Mmm. Think I'd take away the milk, perhaps consider changing or reducing the wet food for a wee while and just generally keep an eye. Other than that - don't know.

Can you phone your vet for a chat or would they want them in?

dandysmom
19-07-2009, 09:34 PM
It's been too many years since I've had a kitten, but I do seem to recall they went more often. But not loose; think I'd try discontinuing the milk for a bit to see.