PDA

View Full Version : Never thought I'd be doing this again.

farthing
16-07-2009, 11:15 PM
We had a rabit with respiratory problems and he was on a mix of treatments, non of which had been tried on rabbits as far as I am aware. He was sadly PTS last year after he developed a head tilt as well. We had bought a aerocat inhaler for him and he was on corvental, a medication for dogs to open up the airways.
Yesterday we rushed Fliss, one of our rats into the vet as she was breathing heavily ( she has had regular treatment for this problem and it has never really got any better), off her food and cold. The vet gave her a steroid injection and an antibiotic, and told me to take her back today. When I tok her in, he confessed he didn't think he would see her and doesn't hold out much hope. He suspects she has lung scarring due to previous damage, and there isn't much more we can do, it makes sense really as if she had an infection she would be more likely to have a fever than lowered temperature.
SO, the fight is on. We have made a chamber for her to have a squirt of bronchiodilator from the inhaler and she will go onto corvental. I did a bit of research last night and found a rescue that uses corvental and metacam to treat this type of problem, but the inhaler idea is a last ditch attempt to help her.
We headed off to Tesco after work to buy bananas, chicken, fish, raisins and cheese to temp her to eat, and so far she has eaten the chicken and banana. The banana is particularly good, because with Smokey we used it to pick up the little corvental balls and he ate them on the banana., so hopefully they will work with her. She also has a snuggle pad to keep her temp up.
I admit, I will be a bit anxious about checking her in the morning, but live in hope we can help her.
Please keep your fingers crossed for her.

Mags
16-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Fingers crossed for Fliss, I hope she pulls through....

I admire the fact that you are so caring about ALL your animals and will never give up on any of them....... well done!

alexgirl73
17-07-2009, 07:42 AM
Everything crossed here too xx

angieh
17-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Healing vibes for Fliss. Good sign that she is able to eat.

farthing
17-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Fliss is still with us.:D
We think she is a bit better, but not out of the woods yet. She has had her inhaler twice today and her corvental, and is eating fairly well. I have just given her baytril injection, so I hope something is helping. We just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings.

calismum
17-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Hope Fliss continue to improve. Good luck with her.

farthing
19-07-2009, 08:18 PM
I have put Fliss back in with her friends, Mia and Karly. I think her breathing is better and she is actually less hyper, which I think is a good sign. She is being 'inhaled' 3 times a day and getting corvental once a day. She still seems a bit cold to me, but I think she is more likely to get depressed away from her friends. I have put a snuggle pad in the cage, but she is cuddled up with Mia in one of the hammocks, so hopefully she feels better.