PDA

View Full Version : Maisey

kado
16-07-2009, 10:43 PM
She is one of the stray cats that we took in. She isnt chipped so i know there is no owner kept escaping now i realy think she is pregnant about 3 wks i think. I just dont know what to expect at all. What should she be eating. i have a spare room to confine her too if needs be. I need adovec about her as all mine are boys. She will be speyed as soon as she can be after the kittens are born. I am getting a new car at the end of the month and i intend to take her then to the vets but need advice in the meantime

jane

calismum
17-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Is there no way you could get her to the vet now? If she is pregnant they could spey her now. I know it would be difficult but so much better for her.

If you wait until month end it may be too late. Meantime make sure she is fed at least twice a day.

dandysmom
17-07-2009, 08:48 PM
I've never had a pregnant cat so can't offer any advice; hopefully some of the members who are experienced will reply. I do agree with Calismum's advice about spaying now if possible.

pcspik
17-07-2009, 09:44 PM
I would take her to the vet and get her SNAPP tested. If she has FeLV (feline leukemia) then her kittens will be infected and will have to put to sleep. If she has FIV (feline aids), then her kittens may or may not be infected (further blood tests will be done when they are older).

I dont think they can spay her now (I am not sure if you mean that she is 3 weeks gone or 3 weeks to go until the birth.) if birth is imminent, but you will be have to wait until they are at least 6 weeks old when it can be done. In the meantime feed her a good quality kitten food, as this will provide the correct nutrients. I suggest something like Whiskas Kitten Food. The pack will tell you how much she needs. She will need a lot more than you think.

Definitely separate her - some cats will get harrassed by the presence of other cats. This may cause her to reject the kittens - leaving no option but for you to hand rear - a very hard job. It is definitely better for a kitten to be reared by their mum.

If you have children, keep her away from them, I know they will be excited, but she needs to kept in relative peace and quiet. Like I said, confine her to one room, just keep an eye on her every so often.

When she does have the kittens, do not touch or handle them for the first 7-10 days. The reason why? Because she needs to bond, and this will interfere with this. Too much handling can cause rejection. Of course, if the kittens or mum need the vet in the first week or so, then of course, you will need to handle them.

I would also worm or deflea her - but check on the packaging as some products are not suitable for pregnant cats. If you are unsure, buy from a vet rather than a pet shop/supermarket/internet store.

If she is in early pregnancy, then you may be better off aborting the kittens, especially if she is FeLV/FIV positive, and spaying. There are plenty of pregnant mums about, and you are doing her more harm than good. Again, a vet will advise - definitely get her to a vet asap.

smudgley
02-08-2009, 06:21 PM
I have only just caught up with this thread.

Why did you think she was 3 weeks pregnant?

How can anyone know a cat is 3 weeks pregnant?

I would worm her with panacur but I wouldn't flea treat her.

I would get the FIV / FeLV test done though as previously mentioned.

smudgley
02-08-2009, 06:24 PM
She is one of the stray cats that we took in. She isnt chipped so i know there is no owner Just because she is not chipped doesn't mean there is no owner, it simply means she is not microchipped kept escaping now i realy think she is pregnant about 3 wks i think. I just dont know what to expect at all. What should she be eating. i have a spare room to confine her too if needs be. I need adovec about her as all mine are boys. She will be speyed as soon as she can be after the kittens are born. I am getting a new car at the end of the month and i intend to take her then to the vets but need advice in the meantime

jane

Get her FIV / FeLV tested for the H&W of your own cats.