PDA

View Full Version : Dylan's going on a diet ...

Phoenix
15-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Dylan's started to get a tummy on him hanging down slightly.

Are there any ways of getting him to lose a kg without changing him onto light food? I've cut his food intake down to 2 meals a day and I'm spending time getting him to play.

angieh
15-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Sorry RCR - I've forgotten how old Dylan is ....... if you can get him playing regularly, I'd see how that goes without altering his food. If that helps shift his belly, all well and good.

dandysmom
15-07-2009, 10:32 PM
A lot of cats do get that hangy-down-tummy as they get older without necessarily being overweight. You might want to discuss a diet plan with the vet. But, as we all know, the only way to lose weight is to eat less and exercise more.......

Mags
15-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Do you know how much overweight he is RCR? It might be a good idea to get Dylan weighed before you start him on any diet......

Phoenix
16-07-2009, 10:35 AM
He's 6.5kg, he should be 5.5 kg at most :oops:

He's four now, so he shouldn't have a hangy down tummy :shock: Too many rats, mice and rabbits I think :shock:

angieh
16-07-2009, 01:47 PM
How much do you give him to eat at one meal RCR? Would it be realistic, seeing as he "supplements" his diet (as does Kizzy) to cut down each portion and see if that helps?

Elaine
16-07-2009, 03:56 PM
A lot of cats do get that hangy-down-tummy as they get older without necessarily being overweight. You might want to discuss a diet plan with the vet. But, as we all know, the only way to lose weight is to eat less and exercise more.......

I agree with Eileen here. In all honesty RCR if your vet has recomended that he lose a kilo, ask if they have a sort of slimming club thing, where by they work out what his intake of dry/wet/both should be in order to help him lose weight, they will also be able to discuss what foods might be best.
It can be very dangerous to cats health if they lose too much weight too soon, as with all weight loss, it should be slow, gradual and realistic. It should also be combined with excercise.

Elaine
16-07-2009, 03:57 PM
I would just add that if he gets any treat foods, to stop those first before reducing his main meals.

angieh
16-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Should RCR and I tell Dylan and Kizzy that those various rodents are "treats"? :lol:

dandysmom
16-07-2009, 04:21 PM
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005

Gumby Cat
16-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Solomon had another blood test yesterday to see if his white cell count has gone up again. He's still on steroids and the vet says he is still rather overweight at 5.3kg, she wants him to continue with the Hills Prescription i/d biscuits - but not too many a day! Difficult when he's always hungry as a result of said steroids! :roll:

Mags
16-07-2009, 06:41 PM
He's 6.5kg, he should be 5.5 kg at most :oops:

He's four now, so he shouldn't have a hangy down tummy :shock: Too many rats, mice and rabbits I think :shock:

So he's put on 1kg in just over 4 weeks :shock: ..... that does seem a lot.
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=33023&highlight=Dylan+weight

I agree with Elaine in saying you would be wise to discuss his diet plan with your vet before you begin cutting down his food.

Phoenix
16-07-2009, 07:54 PM
I'll ask the vet about it. I'll take Dylan in within a few days I think, Dylan loves the vet (purrs and rubs round him reacting like the vet is made out of catnip :lol: )

Could be that our scales are not being entirely honest ...

yola
16-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Yes - it's good to have a constant measure in terms of weight and 'human' scales don't always record very accurately.

I would do this under vet guideance as weight gain/loss can be a symptom of underlying issues, although at only 4 years old I doubt Dylan would be experiencing these.

Phoenix
17-07-2009, 08:34 PM
I've put an elastic breakaway collar with a bell on him, so hopefully that will help prevent him from fetching back and eating so much prey.

dandysmom
17-07-2009, 09:03 PM
It's a lot harder to restrict the diet of an outdoor cat who's an excellent hunter!

Phoenix
18-07-2009, 06:33 PM
It's a lot harder to restrict the diet of an outdoor cat who's an excellent hunter!

That's why he's got a collar with a bell on now DM ;)

dandysmom
18-07-2009, 08:34 PM
That's why he's got a collar with a bell on now DM ;)

I hope it works ..... but I've read that a really skillful hunter can learn to stalk without activating the bell ..:roll:

MadCatLady
19-07-2009, 01:52 AM
UMMMMMMMMMMM!! Bells kinda work but I know a certain Porter PePe Po Pap de Purr who will remove said collar & bell and continue regardless.... on the bright side he usually brings the collar in with him later so I don't have to keep getting a new one!!! :lol:

Anyway... diets... why not wanting to go on to light food? & do get that weight checked et the vet over a period of time... there are other reasons he could be gaining weight suddenly... not wanting to sound the bringer of bad news but do get him checked out if continues... :?

Since Bear was on steriods for his bladder blockages he is now quite substanstial... 7.89kg @ last weigh in :oops: .... but vet is OK with this as he is soooooo big anyway.... Awesome Dawson on the other hand is just fat :twisted: & lazy!!! He is only 6.9kg tho!!!! ;)

Phoenix
19-07-2009, 04:45 PM
UMMMMMMMMMMM!! Bells kinda work but I know a certain Porter PePe Po Pap de Purr who will remove said collar & bell and continue regardless.... on the bright side he usually brings the collar in with him later so I don't have to keep getting a new one!!! :lol:

Anyway... diets... why not wanting to go on to light food? & do get that weight checked et the vet over a period of time... there are other reasons he could be gaining weight suddenly... not wanting to sound the bringer of bad news but do get him checked out if continues... :?

Since Bear was on steriods for his bladder blockages he is now quite substanstial... 7.89kg @ last weigh in :oops: .... but vet is OK with this as he is soooooo big anyway.... Awesome Dawson on the other hand is just fat :twisted: & lazy!!! He is only 6.9kg tho!!!! ;)

Tried Dylan on light food, he won't eat it at all, he'll just go out elsewhere for his food source

I hope it works ..... but I've read that a really skillful hunter can learn to stalk without activating the bell ..:roll:

Dylan's not worked that one out yet, DM :-D He'll go out but sets the bell off jingling so all prey but the deaf will hear him :lol:

Gumby Cat
19-07-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm wondering whether to get a collar with a bell for Solomon, he's a devil for catching birds during the times he's allowed out. He doesn't necessarily kill them (having lost a lot of teeth he's not quite the killing machine he used to be) and I've managed to rescue quite a few. Others I think die of shock as there isn't a mark on them. It's distressing, though, so I'd be interested in having your opinion as to whether a bell and collar would be a good idea. Obviously it would have to be one of the safe, elasticated sort which he would probably manage to lose, but I just wondered whether it was worth trying?! :roll:

dandysmom
19-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Why not give it a try? Nothing lost if it doesn't work, and it might save a few birds.