PDA

View Full Version : Cassie booked in for a Dental

Mags
14-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Cassie had a vet visit this morning for her yearly booster and general health check. It appears she has a slight heart murmur but nothing to worry about at the moment.

I'm pleased to report that she has lost a little bit of weight ......she weighs 4.7kg today compared to 5.1kg a year ago, vet also recommended she was switched to Senior food.

She has been booked in for a full dental next Tuesday as she has gingivitis and needs to have the tartar removed from her teeth. Any bad teeth will also be removed at the time:( She is 12 now so I supposed she has done quite well all these years without needing treatment before now...

dinahsmum
14-07-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm sure it will be the best thing for her Mags - though I know you will feel much better when it is all over.

It's very important to have good oral health - I suppose it's the same for cats as humans but I've heard several times that bad oral health can lead to increased heart disease, worsening of arthritic symptoms etc. Isn't that peculiar?

Well done on the weight loss - thats actually quite a decent drop

Mags
14-07-2009, 02:29 PM
That is strange how oral health can affect other parts of the body, isn't it DM - maybe I don't feel so bad about her having the treatment now ;)

Moli
14-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Great to hear she has lost weight Mags, sure she will be ok with the dental, probably a lot more comfortable too...

Mags
14-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks Moli :D I can just picture her little face on Tuesday morning when she has to go without her breakfast!:roll:

Moli
14-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks Moli :D I can just picture her little face on Tuesday morning when she has to go without her breakfast!:roll:
It will probably bother you more than her Mags;) ......

She is doing well, Leo is 14 and has had 2 dentals up to date....!

Leesy
14-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Pleased to hear that Cassie has lost some weight:D ,I am sure all will go well with her dental even though she might not be to happy about missing her breakfast:lol: .

angieh
14-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Glad to hear about Cassie's weight loss, Mags. She'll feel better in herself after her dental ...... I know it's worrying, but she'll be fine, if somewhat miffed!

dandysmom
14-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Poor Cassie! But good that the weight has come down, and I agree that she'll probably feel better after the dental.

Kazz
14-07-2009, 05:42 PM
You'll be surprised how much better she will be following the dental remember how much Cleo improved after her (1 and only dental) and she was what at 23ish then............;)......Cassie is lucky her "Mom" cares for her teeth more than I did my duo's it just never dawned on me to be honest we never really went the vets, as they were okay.....*bad person* I am.

She will be fine honestly I think you will notice a difference too, bound to be more comfortable.

Weight loss is good to.

Mags
14-07-2009, 06:06 PM
You'll be surprised how much better she will be following the dental remember how much Cleo improved after her (1 and only dental) and she was what at 23ish then............;)......Cassie is lucky her "Mom" cares for her teeth more than I did my duo's it just never dawned on me to be honest we never really went the vets, as they were okay.....*bad person* I am.

She will be fine honestly I think you will notice a difference too, bound to be more comfortable.

Weight loss is good to.
Thanks Kazz......... I too can remember the days when we only took them to the vet if they were ill...;) .....and yes, I remember when Cleo had her dental, at 23 she set an example to us all!

Kazz
14-07-2009, 06:18 PM
She had her dental and her lumps removed at the same time and was happily eating chicken in the same afternoon.

Mags
14-07-2009, 06:20 PM
She had her dental and her lumps removed at the same time and was happily eating chicken in the same afternoon.
She was such a good girl...:D

Kazz
14-07-2009, 07:01 PM
She was such a good girl...:D

It was the sharp stick...that did it Mags.;) ...remember.

Elaine
14-07-2009, 07:17 PM
I Wish I'd Looked After My Teeth
by Pam Ayres

Oh, I wish I'd looked after me teeth,
And spotted the perils beneath,
All the toffees I chewed,
And the sweet sticky food,
Oh, I wish I'd looked after me teeth.

I wish I'd been that much more willin'
When I had more tooth there than fillin'
To pass up gobstoppers,
From respect to me choppers
And to buy something else with me shillin'.

When I think of the lollies I licked,
And the liquorice allsorts I picked,
Sherbet dabs, big and little,
All that hard peanut brittle,
My conscience gets horribly pricked.

My Mother, she told me no end,
"If you got a tooth, you got a friend"
I was young then, and careless,
My toothbrush was hairless,
I never had much time to spend.

Oh I showed them the toothpaste all right,
I flashed it about late at night,
But up-and-down brushin'
And pokin' and fussin'
Didn't seem worth the time... I could bite!

If I'd known I was paving the way,
To cavities, caps and decay,
The murder of fiIlin's
Injections and drillin's
I'd have thrown all me sherbet away.

So I lay in the old dentist's chair,
And I gaze up his nose in despair,
And his drill it do whine,
In these molars of mine,
"Two amalgum," he'll say, "for in there."

How I laughed at my Mother's false teeth,
As they foamed in the waters beneath,
But now comes the reckonin'
It's me they are beckonin'
Oh, I wish I'd looked after me teeth.

Elaine
14-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Sorry couldnt resist that:lol:

Cassie will look even more stunning after having her pearly whites done over.
It is very curious how oral ailments can sometimes be associated with more serious issues.

Mags
14-07-2009, 10:59 PM
That a great poem Elaine, not sure if you meant it for Cassie or me!! :lol:

farthing
14-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Try not to worry, I put Spice,Smudge and Misty through dentals last year- they were 17, 17 and 18 years old and all sailed through it. Smudge has had about 4 dentals in her life ( from about the age of 7), which makes me believe hard or soft food makes no difference, as Samson has been fed the same and has never had one yet and he is 14.
The fact that she has lost weight is very good, not only for general healthy but for the op, as there is a bigger risk for anything overweight. I'd better hope I don't need one soon.:shock:

pookyandjo
15-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Try not to worry, I put Spice,Smudge and Misty through dentals last year- they were 17, 17 and 18 years old and all sailed through it. Smudge has had about 4 dentals in her life ( from about the age of 7), which makes me believe hard or soft food makes no difference, as Samson has been fed the same and has never had one yet and he is 14.
The fact that she has lost weight is very good, not only for general healthy but for the op, as there is a bigger risk for anything overweight. I'd better hope I don't need one soon.:shock:

I know what you mean Farthing.. about the difference between soft or hard food... despite what they say about soft food being bad for teeth as its is more likely to "sit" on the teeth and cause erosion of the enamel, leading to decay...

Tinky would only eat dry food and he had his first dental at age 7 years and then one every 18 months after that... because he kept getting a build up of tatar apparently due to his saliva..
The more i think about it the more im convinced that a cats longevity is more down to it's genes than anything else... sure a safe environment plays a large part... but for the main part its the genes

pookyandjo
15-07-2009, 11:36 AM
ooops... sorry Mags... clicked the post button without thinking... am sure that Cassie will be thrilled with her new shiny smile....:-D now if you can get another shot of her showing her teeth to the camera...we will be able to do a before and after comparison:shock:

Mags
15-07-2009, 12:12 PM
ooops... sorry Mags... clicked the post button without thinking... am sure that Cassie will be thrilled with her new shiny smile....:-D now if you can get another shot of her showing her teeth to the camera...we will be able to do a before and after comparison:shock:
I'll have the camera at the ready, Jo! ;):lol:

John
15-07-2009, 10:48 PM
All the best to Cassie on the day she gets her mew purly whites..john..

Mags
15-07-2009, 10:55 PM
All the best to Cassie on the day she gets her mew purly whites..john..
Thank you John :D