PDA

View Full Version : Wallender

angieh
14-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Wondered if anyone is watching this Swedish TV production? 3rd episode last night. I am sorry I missed the first 2 and will try iPlayer (speed permitting).

I am a Henning Mankell fan and watched the English 3 episode series with Kenneth Branagh. I think for atmosphere, the Swedish production wins. It's subtitled and I found that you had to read very quickly! Worth a watch though IMO.

yola
16-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I saw your post Angie and decided to make time to watch this on iPlayer as I adored the Brannagh Wallender.

Watched it last night and your'e right, it's very atmospheric and drew a lot from the introspections of Ibsen in terms of it's charaterisation; troubled people doing the wrong things for the right reasons and then not being able to live with the consequences.

You say it's part 3 of a 3-parter? I couldn't find episodes 1 or 2 anyway . . . would like to watch it again as a whole!

angieh
16-07-2009, 01:05 PM
It seems iPlayer only has the episode of the week now, sadly. I think it's a fairly long series but each week a new story, as in the books, so I'm sad that I missed the first two, but glad to have caught it now.

What did you think of the subtitling? I know no Swedish at all, so can't comment on the accuracy obviously, but did you find you had to read quickly? Or is it me slowing down......... ???

yola
16-07-2009, 03:34 PM
I don't speak Swedish but I could recognise a fair new words due to my knowledge of Polish and (some) German, bot not enough to vouch for the accuracy.

Didn't find it a problem with the speed of the subtitles . . . had to eat without looking at the plate though in order not to miss anything (thankfully not too difficult with a spoon and seafood pasta) :lol:

angieh
16-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Isn't language interesting? I've studied (without too much success!) French, Spanish and Italian ........ there is nothing about Swedish that I could latch on to! Totally different stems I presume.

I find linguistics a hugely interesting subject and it seems, something you can study without needing to be a linguist!