PDA

View Full Version : Vaccination for Swine Flu....

Moli
13-07-2009, 10:12 PM
What do you all think about it???

dandysmom
13-07-2009, 10:58 PM
I have never had a flu shot.

a) I am afraid of needles
b) I rely on "herd immunity"

Moli
13-07-2009, 11:00 PM
I have never had a flu shot.

a) I am afraid of needles
b) I rely on "herd immunity"

I have never had a flu shot either DM, like you rely on immunity, do not believe in all these jabs for this and jabs for that...

calismum
13-07-2009, 11:13 PM
I agree with both of you, I seem to have good immunity and don't believe in pills and potions unless absolutely essential.

OH has a flu shot each year on GP advice. I assume this winter he will get the usual jab which will include swine flu.

dandysmom
13-07-2009, 11:51 PM
This may be famous last words, but I believe I have an excellent immune system also: almost never get colds; actually cannot remember the last one I had. I think part of that is having been exposed to most variants as a child and teenager riding public transportation.

There are many worries about our cats (and dogs) being over -vaccinated and developing problems later; And there is a lot of controversy here in the States about autism's increase in children because of vaccinations. Vehemently denied by the medical profession ...but it does make you wonder ... did you know or know of any autistic or Aspergers kids when you were growing up?

Anyhow, other than rabies shots for my cats and a tetanus shot for me when I might have been exposed to it, I don't do them . End of rant!

pookyandjo
14-07-2009, 05:13 AM
i thought i had the swine flu.... so i rang the swine flu hotline... all i got was crackling!

Thats what i think of the swine flu... famous last words too... hope i dont get it... i used to have a flu shot each year when i was working... and for the first couple of years after i retired whilst my body was still recovering from all the chemo and radiation... but for the last few years i have gone without... except for this year.. i went and had one.. we shall see what happens... but if you read the paper... Melbourne is the swine flu capital of the world at the moment... and touch wood...(touching my head here!) we wont get it! I am however taking some tamiflu with us on our trip... in the absence of a swine flu vax... it's the next best thing

pinklizzy
14-07-2009, 07:54 AM
I had a 'flu jab last winter under doctors advice due to my unhealed rib fracture. At the moment whenever I get a cold it seems to go straight to my chest and settle there. Coughing with a rib whose ends move is quite painful! ;)
I'm not sure if I'd want to have it every year though, particularly as it seems to only cover you for one strain of flu-it's a it like the kennel cough vaccination for dogs I suppose!

smudgley
14-07-2009, 08:48 AM
My daughter has got swine flu & so have a lot of the kids in her school. As yet my husband & I haven't caught it although Ashleigh now has a temperature & diarrhoea & tummy ache, and a little bit of coughing so looks like she is starting with it too. :roll:
Don't know what to say about the vaccine TBH :?

dinahsmum
14-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Think I'll take my chance. From what the news reports say we 'semi-oldies' are fairly immune to this strain, so we may end up nursing and fetching and carrying for you youngsters!

angieh
14-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Having long standing lung problems myself I have had the annual 'flu jab for several years now. I feel that it has protected me. MIL has it too, because of her age and infirmity and last year OH had it for the first time as he is our frontline carer. He made a terrible fuss about the itchy place on his arm - Men!!!

I will take the jab when it's offered.

MrsH
14-07-2009, 11:06 AM
I've never had a flu jab although I know quite a few people in the teaching profession who get one every year. (by the way, I'm delighted at not having any colds, sore throats, tight chests etc. since I retired - all those children passing on their germs!)

One thing that concerns me about the swine flu vaccine is that they're going to "fast-track" the approval process in order to get the vaccine out there as quickly as possible - might that be a recipe for disaster?

angieh
14-07-2009, 11:18 AM
That is a concern MrsH - I don't know how rigorous the tests are for the annual vaccine, parts of which are changed to reflect the state of the viral threat at that particular time.

Why do I keep getting flashbacks to that old BBC drama series "Doomwatch"?

PoshPuss
14-07-2009, 12:01 PM
mmmmm, I'm very suspicious about the need to vaccinate all health workers so we can keep on working :shock:
smacks of over zealousness and a little scary!

OK, so I've been watching Torchwood and I'm getting political but I don't trust these people in power anymore.
I'll take my chance thanx. But what if it's imposed on me...
???

Donna
14-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I am really scared about Swine Flu. Both my kids have asthma so hope they will be offered the vacc soon... I have ongoing health issues which affect my immune system, so again this is the reason for my worry.

I will push for the vacc for my children ASAP because of their asthma.

Moli
14-07-2009, 02:49 PM
The are people at risk who would benefit from it, but people like me who do not have any health problems as such, should not be forced to have it....

dandysmom
14-07-2009, 04:15 PM
I've never had a flu jab although I know quite a few people in the teaching profession who get one every year. (by the way, I'm delighted at not having any colds, sore throats, tight chests etc. since I retired - all those children passing on their germs!)

One thing that concerns me about the swine flu vaccine is that they're going to "fast-track" the approval process in order to get the vaccine out there as quickly as possible - might that be a recipe for disaster?

Anyone remember the Asian flu scare in 1976? There were bad side effects and some deaths from that vaccine as I recall ..... as I'm in the older age group with possible resistence to it and also in excellent health (knock wood) will pass on this shot as usual.

Kim
14-07-2009, 07:18 PM
I have always had my children vaccinated and will have the swine flu vaccine if offered. A teacher and 5 children at the school where I work have swine flu and I heard on the news today of an otherwise healthy 7 year old who died from sf within 2 days :(

I don't believe in continual boosters though and none of my cats now have their annual booster, after initial vaccinations.

yola
14-07-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm asthmatic and also have some immune compromise issues so get the annual flu innoculation. The thing that has me worried (and it's funny how it only worries you when it affects you personally) is that I'm from Hillingdon and the primary school where this little girl died was where many of my friends came from at secondary school. Also with Kelly's daughter having it here, again, it hits home as to how close it can be.

I'm in 2 minds as to whether Sebi's had this at the moment; tummy upsets, very high temperature spikes, irritability, loss of appetite . . . because so many of the symptoms are so generic it's so hard to make a conclusive decision. I'd rather not raise my head above the parapet because it could just as easily be a summer cold.

As for the jab . . . yes, for both me and the boys as soon as they can please. I'm not one for panicking but if I can help avoid any unnecessary illness and risk to health I would rather do so sooner rather than later.

jan
14-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Very confused after googling the vaccine - seems a lot of people are very opposed to it. In fact some of the pictures painted about it are of a nightmare quality! I am asthmatic and if I ever get a cold or a cough, or in the past the flu, I have been left constantly breathless and struggling for breath at times so was relieved to hear about the vaccine initially. Now I dont know what to think. My little grand son has cerebral palsy, he is 3. He went to play school yesterday and is due to go again on Friday and there has been a confirmed case of it there today. My daughters also in a quandary re this vaccine when it becomes available. All a bit concerning really. Itslike being caught between a rock and a hard place! Jan x

Moli
14-07-2009, 10:48 PM
I really feel they are rushing it, without really testing it properly....