PDA

View Full Version : Why do people not like black cats?

moonstone
12-07-2009, 04:20 PM
I have just got two new kittens from Celia Hammond trust:D they are adorable and BLACK:D
Celia told me that people just do not like black cats:(
WHY?
I have been searching for a black cat for ages and was surprised to see that they had so many looking for homes:?
Personally i LOVE black cats they are my favourite colour:D
yet they often get overlooked:(
I was initially going to have a litter mate but they were all white and obviously they will go quickly so i was asked to take another black one which i was only to happy to do:D
My black beauties are gorgeous bit am i the only one who thinks so:cry: :?

adam2019
12-07-2009, 04:22 PM
I love black cats!

Think its just down to superstition i suppose.

Moli
12-07-2009, 04:50 PM
I have 2 black cats, love the colour too....

angieh
12-07-2009, 04:51 PM
I suppose it's down to the old superstition, but I can't believe it. I think that people just want a "prettily marked" cat.

I have never had an all black cat - my Smudge was b&w, but I am not anti-black cats. I did actually hear the same thing from a friend who adopted two litter mates from a rescue, one b&w and the other black.

Strangely, an aunt who loved cats had an aversion to all white cats and would not go anywhere she knew there was one!!!

calismum
12-07-2009, 04:55 PM
I've had two black cats. I've also heard they are the least popular - can't think why. A shiny. glossy black coat is lovely.

So, how about some pics of your two babes so we can all admire them!

angieh
12-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Oh, definitely seconded!

dandysmom
12-07-2009, 04:59 PM
The old superstitions, witches familiars, bad luck, etc. Quite absurd; I love black cats, my Onyx was gorgeous. Yes, pics would be nice.

farthing
12-07-2009, 05:46 PM
I have a black cat and love him as much as the others. I do have a soft spot for torties, but have never owned one- although Spice is a dilute tortie. We just take what we get.:)
It is a bit like agouti coloured rabbits, nobody wants them either.
Maybe its because they are seen as common, plain colours. I have to say agouti is my favourite rabbit colour.

moonstone
12-07-2009, 06:00 PM
I love agouti coloured bunnies too:D they are my favourite colour but as you have said they often get "left behind" in rescues as other colours are more popular:(
I have several agouti bunnies too:D
I am busy taking pics of my new babies and will have a bash at putting them up later when i have sorted out the best ones:lol: I only got them on Wednesday evening so have not had them long:roll:
I have to be careful when i go into "their" room as the other pussies are desperate to see them again and i am trying to avoid confrontation:oops: polly can be a bit aggressive so i am waiting for her to get used to them being around :D
It seems a shame that all the black cats are being left in rescue:( I can,t stop thinking about the ones i saw and had to leave behind:( I could have taken thm all they were adorable :oops:

CathyW
12-07-2009, 06:17 PM
hey my 2 boys are black, and they are totally adorable. both got very differnt traits. but both love their mum. reggies sitting near me as i type.

dumbblondie
12-07-2009, 08:49 PM
i have a black cat called coral used 2 have1 years ago called jet but this time my mum wanted a tabby but i wanted the black 1 & i got my way black cats are soooo cute

random
12-07-2009, 09:53 PM
I have had many colours but had mostly black cats and have 3 atm. I love black cats, like wee panthers.

moonstone
12-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Great to know that so many forum members ar black cats fans too!:)
I now have the two new black kittens plus two black/white one grey/white and my old lady is a tabby:D
The little girl kit Rosie was with her mum and siblings but the little boy Oscar who was in the same pen was found wandering in the street having been thrown out by someone unknown:evil: How could anyone be so heartless as to throw out a little kitten to fend for himelf:( :?
I think maybe people think of witches when they see a black cat:(
I just wish that all the cats that i saw could find good homes:D there was one there a huge long haired black boy who was feral that i keep thinking about:( how long will it be before he is offered a home:roll:
I will make sure that my two will never want for anything:D they will be spoiled rotten:D

yola
12-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Yes, I too love black cats. We adopted our old ex-stray Ferdy who was solid black. I would love one day to have an all-black persian but as I won't now buy a kitten I'll have to wait until a rescue one comes along :D
But it is a fact that the black ones are the hardest to rehome. My CP branch always seems to have some solid black ones available . . . and I do think it's the occult associations that put them off. Shame really.

random
12-07-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't think its just the superstitious side of things, although it surely plays a part, but people will always opt for the 'prettier' looking cat, it's the same with dogs, the plain black mongrel often has the longest wait.

kado
12-07-2009, 11:02 PM
I love black cats. it is a shame they do get overlooked.

Leesy
13-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Black cats are soooooo sweet:D

MrsH
13-07-2009, 11:58 AM
We've had black cats before and they were great hunters! Nearly all the headless mice in our lives were brought home by them. We found the blacks more active, less home-lovers than their coloured counterparts, more adventurous. As a result they always looked stunningly athletic with well-tuned muscles, no sagging tums,and because they were in such good condition their coats shone like black diamonds! Gorgeous girls!

I've never understood the bad luck association with black cats as we also refer to "lucky black cats" don't we?

pookyandjo
13-07-2009, 01:24 PM
I suppose it's down to the old superstition, but I can't believe it. I think that people just want a "prettily marked" cat.

I have never had an all black cat - my Smudge was b&w, but I am not anti-black cats. I did actually hear the same thing from a friend who adopted two litter mates from a rescue, one b&w and the other black.

Strangely, an aunt who loved cats had an aversion to all white cats and would not go anywhere she knew there was one!!!

i love black cats... had one called c-for many years ago... he was a very affectionate little guy...
funny what you say about white cats... one of my friends has had white cats in the past and he swears that they are loopy... he says that every single white one he has had has been a total idiot... (lovable idiots of course... but idiots none the less)

Darky
15-07-2009, 06:11 PM
I adore black cats, although black and white cats are my favourite. In some cultures they are considered lucky, and I think they're the most mysterious and pretty cats.

My Nan used to have a sweet, very shy black cat called Tiny who was wonderful - so pretty.

janey83
15-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Ive always liked black cats and have now got one, who is adorable (and cheeky!).

My auntie had a black kitten (20years ago) and I remember going over and looking at her for the first time, I had fallen in love with her she was soooooo cute. But sadly on her first time out on her own she got run over and killed, I was devastated (I must of been 5 yrs old at the time but it hit me like a tone of bricks!) Her name was Jess and I often think of her.

Gumby Cat
16-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Years ago I had a black cat, Nick. His mum was a Siamese, father unknown! He was a real character, very intelligent, and had huge Siamese ears.

jan
16-07-2009, 09:00 PM
My first gorgeous puss (the one that started my lifelong love of all things feline) was pure black, glossy short hair. I have ever since harboured a sneaking preference for black cats, tho I have had/do also have black and white, tabby, tortie s,tabby/white s. Never had a pure white cat or a ginger as yet. I was determined to find another female black shorthair when Clara passed away but funnily ended up with a tabby female and a black long hair boy! (Max).

I thought it was only in Ireland and America that the black being bad luck if they cross your path superstition was believed. :shock: I actually was nt aware that black cats stay on the shelf longer than their counterparts, poor things. I would take them all home if I could ! Jan x

MadCatLady
17-07-2009, 09:50 PM
I sooooooo hope it is supersticious as I am a single white female living in a 3rd floor flat with 5 solid blacks, one blk & white pain in the bum and a freskish baldie! :twisted:

All the black ones get left at our rescue too... at one point our Mattishall branch had nothing but black cats available!!! :cry:

Hopefully me newbie will be Black too! :-D