PDA

View Full Version : My e-mail's been hacked!!

dandysmom
11-07-2009, 02:10 AM
Someone has apparently hacked into my account and has sent an e-mail purportedly from me about losing a wallet and wanting to borrow $2000.00! It seems to have been sent to all my contacts....just found out when I got a call from a friend!! It IS NOT ME!! Disregard; I'll get in touch with Yahoo and see what to do about this; what a mess!!

alexgirl73
11-07-2009, 07:14 AM
oh my word! That is scary, hope you get it sorted asap Eileen x

Jac
11-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Eileen I got an email from you this morning. It said that you were in Englans and that you had lost your wallet and needed money to pay your hotel bill and to get home. I knew that if this was true there would be some mention of it here.
The person wants money transferred by western union.
I hope you get it sorted out.
Just relieved that you are infact ok. take care Jacxxx

CathyW
11-07-2009, 08:20 AM
ive just got that email. as well.
naughty DM fancy coming to the UK and not telling us. mind u how is hyper travel now???
have i got permission to reply something really really abusive n rude back ??? pretty please.i wont rply until i hear from u.:-D but its sooooo tempting lol

MrsH
11-07-2009, 08:48 AM
What a scary thing to happen! Hopefully all your email contacts are as wise as you and will disregard the scam as being very dodgy to say the least!

Hope you can get it sorted!

Elaine
11-07-2009, 08:53 AM
I read this before opening my email box and have now reported your email as a phishing scam. Maybe if every one in your contacts does the same, it'll be stopped.

mattde
11-07-2009, 08:58 AM
I was just coming on catsey to tell you this.
Hope you get it sorted.

I would now change all passwords, setup a new email account , Gmail or something with a strong password.
Run Good AV software on PC, also run Malwarebytes.

Best of luck Eileen :-)

dinahsmum
11-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Oh Dm - what a pain for you.
Gmail/googlemail appears to have good security - I get far fewer rubbish messages on my googlemail account that at my original email address.

Strong password = use of numbers and symbols. You don't have to make it terribly complicated; you can use numbers and symbols as proxy letter in an easy password word. For instance
Donuts could become D0^ut$

Kazz
11-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Hiya Eileen don't worry it will be sorted.....the idiot that hacked your account does not realise that like you your friends have more sense than to just reply.....

angieh
11-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Why don't you go over to Thunderbird Eileen?

Mind you I get loads of junk and just ditch everything. I even send myself junk!

Hope you get it sorted quickly. It is upsetting.

CathyW
11-07-2009, 12:30 PM
im still waiting to see if i can send him/her (the hacker) a load of verbal. lol i do know some choice words. hey go to biker partys i get to learn a few lol

calismum
11-07-2009, 02:44 PM
What a complete pain. I hope you get it sorted quickly. At least people who know you won't be taken in. It does make you furious though.

Phoenix
11-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Hope you manage to get it sorted soon Eileen!
:twisted: b word person! :twisted: (b@r$t@rd hacker)

dandysmom
11-07-2009, 04:04 PM
im still waiting to see if i can send him/her (the hacker) a load of verbal. lol i do know some choice words. hey go to biker partys i get to learn a few lol

BM, I wouldn't respond, I suspect that might somehow get your account open to him and he could infect your contacts too!

I got an e-mail from someone on my garden forum saying that the exact same thing happened to a friend of his...same message! Said it's a common thing.

I hate the idea of having to change e-mail accounts...it would be a nightmare notifying everybody! ....but will do so if I have to. I haven't heard back from Yahoo yet re the problem.

dandysmom
11-07-2009, 04:06 PM
I read this before opening my email box and have now reported your email as a phishing scam. Maybe if every one in your contacts does the same, it'll be stopped.

Thanks, Elaine! :D

angieh
11-07-2009, 04:10 PM

OK thicko here! How and to whom??? I'll report it too if it will help Eileen.

CathyW
11-07-2009, 06:40 PM
BM, I wouldn't respond, I suspect that might somehow get your account open to him and he could infect your contacts too!

I got an e-mail from someone on my garden forum saying that the exact same thing happened to a friend of his...same message! Said it's a common thing.

I hate the idea of having to change e-mail accounts...it would be a nightmare notifying everybody! ....but will do so if I have to. I haven't heard back from Yahoo yet re the problem.oh darn it, takes all the fun out of revenge dont it. cant give us any viruses as we run linux OS.
ok off to report it now.

Elaine
11-07-2009, 07:23 PM
OK thicko here! How and to whom??? I'll report it too if it will help Eileen.

I use a hotmail account and it has an option to report phishing scams, I dont know if others have the same facility...

dandysmom
11-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Yahoo does, and two of the banks I have credit cards with do also; I occasionally get phishing e-mails on the latter and always report them. Still no word fro Yahoo ...

One good thing ... had phone calls from two old friends that I don't talk too very regularly who got the fraudulent message and knew it wasn't me and we had good catch-up chats!

Elaine
11-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Atleast some good has come out of this Eileen;)

dandysmom
11-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Atleast some good has come out of this Eileen;)

And the guy from the garden forum had already posted a message on it explaining it was a hacker, not me, so saved me from yet another explanatory e-mail. Some people are nice! :D

CathyW
12-07-2009, 06:22 PM
i reported it yesterday. still disappointed that i couldnt be a bit flowery lol