PDA

View Full Version : Matted bunny

alexgirl73
10-07-2009, 08:46 PM
As most of you know, I rescued Simba a few months ago from a 'friend' of mine (very loose term). I have done nothing but cut matts out of his fur since then as he has a very long coat. I have cut his fur right down today with scissors, and hope that will help with his grooming, but wondered about shaving him, if that would help more. Is it possible to do this myself or would he need to go to the vet? I have heard of people doing this themselves, but have no idea how easy it would be. Any help/advice gratefully received.

angieh
10-07-2009, 08:49 PM
I am sure someone will be able to advise Alex. I know nothing about bunnies, sorry - hope you can help Simba.

alexgirl73
10-07-2009, 09:00 PM
I hope so angie. I am grooming him, but he absolutely hates being handled and it is very difficult to say the least. If things continue as they are I may have to rehome him with someone who has more experiance of long haired bunnies, but I really dont want to do that. I just feel that if I could get him shaved it would solve a lot fo his problems, and may help him be calmer, as he wouldn't be fearing me coming at him with the scissors!

calismum
10-07-2009, 09:12 PM
If he is so stressed about you trying to get rid of the matts then it may be an idea to get him sedated at the vet and get them to either shave or cut all matts out.

That way he wil only associate you with grooming and nice brush/comb etc. If you started that when he has no coat to catch or tangle then it may make it easir for when his coat grows in?

No real rabbit experience so just an idea.

Mags
10-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Donna would probably be able to advise you, Alex........ hopefully she may see your post later, or maybe you could PM her...

dinahsmum
11-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Good luck with this Alex.
I think you may well be right - sedation plus shaving, or passed to an experienced caring person
What a shame - poor thing

farthing
11-07-2009, 12:55 PM
We have 2 fluffy bunnies, but I would be very wary of shaving them, the skin is so thin it is easily cut. Mike does most of the grooming and does it most days. We did put them into the vet recently to be sedated and shaved- Mike's been away a lot and I haven't been too well- they ended up clipping snowy like a poodle and shaved Jessica, she mats like fleece whereas Snowy just knots. The other thing is when they are clipped it is SHORT- down to the skin. When we got Snowy and Jessica they didn't like being groomed- Jessice had to be shaved when we got her-but they quite enjoy it now. Try giving him a tasty thing when you do it, so he associates it with something nice.
I really don't know why people continue to breed long haired rabbits for pets its just a massive welfare disaster in most cases.:(

Donna
11-07-2009, 02:20 PM
One of my rescue bunnies came to me with matted fur all over her rear... quick trip to vets and she used clippers and got them all off.. the fur has grown back lovely and not matted.

Be VERY wary of using scissors.... I warn of this as I am at the moment treating Pickle for a wound caused by myself. I have cut matts out of his "lionhead" mane for years, but this time, I managed to catch his skin.... this little bit of skin turned into a huge big hole in the back of his neck which had to be glued and treated at the vets (and £100). I cant stress enough how thin rabbit skin is.. it just kept on getting bigger and bigger. He is inside and with Pootle (but separate as she licks the wound) until he is all healed.

borderdawn
11-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Has the Rabbit been neutered?

alexgirl73
11-07-2009, 08:59 PM
no SHE hasn't been neutered dawn (discovered he was a she today when I went out to give her a good combing, and as she was a bit more settled got to have a good look down below'. To be perfectly frank, where she came from there was no interest in her whatsoever, hence her being so matted, skittish and unsexed!!

I have clipped her down as far as I dare, and I'm now trying to do gentle combing every day. Will see how that goes over the next few days, and if it doesn't help i will get her booked in to be shaved when we get back from our hols. Thanks for the advice guys :)