PDA

View Full Version : Ta da!! First tomato!

dandysmom
08-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Picked this morning; put it next to the apple so you can see the size. It's a Super Marmande, will have it at lunch. And I got it this year before the squirrel or catbird! :-D

http://www.catsey.com/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/Non%20Cat/DSCN0909.jpg%5B/IMG%5Dhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/Non%20Cat/DSCN0909.jpg

Mags
08-07-2009, 06:15 PM
That looks very tasty Eileen, hope you enjoyed it...:D

Well done on beating the pesky squirrel to it!:-D

yola
08-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Wow, I'm jealous! Mine are still pathetically small and stubbornly green :evil:
I hope it's tasty and you enjoy it for your lunch :D

dandysmom
08-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks, it was really tasty! The squirrel was busy at the feeder in the front eating my birdseed! :smt018

angieh
08-07-2009, 07:38 PM
What a great looking tomato Eileen. Glad it tasted good too. Any more coming?

dandysmom
08-07-2009, 07:43 PM
What a great looking tomato Eileen. Glad it tasted good too. Any more coming?

Oh yes, two that will be ripe in a few days, and lots and lots of smaller ones that are still green ,,,haven't counted lately but 12 the last time I did..... I have 5 plants.

angieh
08-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Do you feed your tomatoes? I wonder whether Yola does.

dandysmom
08-07-2009, 07:54 PM
I should, but don't. Sheer laziness........ :oops:

angieh
08-07-2009, 07:59 PM
I "fed" mine for the first time this morning.

dandysmom
08-07-2009, 08:01 PM
How many do you have? Standards or cherry tomatoes?

angieh
08-07-2009, 10:08 PM
I have 3 each of

Ciliegia - cherry variety
San Marzano - good for cooking and sauce making
Costoluto fiorentino - general salad tom, meant to be flavoursome.

I bought an Italian tomato selection from Suttons - never tried any of the varieties before. They are all being grown in the greenhouse.

Leesy
08-07-2009, 11:21 PM
WOW that is (rather was) a great looking tomato, glad it tasted so good as well DM:D

random
09-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Oh wow Eileen how brilliant! That's a corker!

dinahsmum
09-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Yum
I had to junk a couple of biggish Marmandes this morning, as they had suffered with the heat/uneven water and had the dreaded 'blossom end rot'. Others will come along soon to replace them though.
Have some cherry toms soon to be ready and a couple of tumblers doing fine in hanging baskets at home.

And my basil - to go with the tomatoes, in classic fashion, is superb.

I like San Marzano but haven't any this year. Being away in April ios not good for the timing of summer crops

dandysmom
09-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Yum
I had to junk a couple of biggish Marmandes this morning, as they had suffered with the heat/uneven water and had the dreaded 'blossom end rot'. Others will come along soon to replace them though.
Have some cherry toms soon to be ready and a couple of tumblers doing fine in hanging baskets at home.

And my basil - to go with the tomatoes, in classic fashion, is superb.

I like San Marzano but haven't any this year. Being away in April ios not good for the timing of summer crops

Basil and tomatoes are a marriage made in heaven! I'm going to check on San Marzano, sounds interesting. I tend to like European varieties, seem to have better flavor.

Kim
09-07-2009, 10:04 PM
That looks very tasty Eileen - well done!

SageCat
01-08-2009, 05:44 PM
I am a self-confessed tomato addict and eat them every day. I actually prefer them to sweets/chocolate. Although chocolate does come an extremely close second! For the first time ever I'm growing my own tomato plants and am excited as a child watching them grow and develop. Have got loads of them on the plants and am now just waiting for them to start turning red. I can't wait! http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m214/SageCat/thblissysmile.gif

dandysmom
01-08-2009, 07:51 PM
I am a self-confessed tomato addict and eat them every day. I actually prefer them to sweets/chocolate. Although chocolate does come an extremely close second! For the first time ever I'm growing my own tomato plants and am excited as a child watching them grow and develop. Have got loads of them on the plants and am now just waiting for them to start turning red. I can't wait! http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m214/SageCat/thblissysmile.gif

Great fun growing your own, isn't it? And they do taste so much better fresh from the vine ....hope you get loads of them. How many did you plant, what variety?

angieh
01-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Update on mine - loads of yes, you can guess, green tomatoes, like Yola. And I've been feeding mine although somewhat erratically. At least under glass they have a longer growing season - we just need some sunshine .............

SageCat
01-08-2009, 09:13 PM
I planted four different types ................ but without looking I can't remember what they are! I know that at least two of them are a cherry type ............ just the right size for popping into ones mouth whole!! :lol: