PDA

View Full Version : This has never happened before...

janey83
08-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Right,

As some of you may know, I had a cat for 16 years. Found out I was allergic to him after about a year, I was gutted when the doctor person said you can either give him away or stay away from him... I never did any of those:lol: .

But 2 nights ago I was stayin at my bfs house (ready to go to Alton Towers early in the morn) Ive stayed before and not had any trouble. But after I'd been at his for about an hour, I could feel my breath gettin shorter and shorter and I was sort of coughing and wheezing, I put it down to a spray my bf had sprayed.

Later we went to bed (11pm) and it got worse, I couldnt lie down in anyway coz my throat would be closing up and I had to keep coughing to clear my lungs. I havnt got asthma but I did think is it an asthma attack! My bf could hear me breathing and said it was quite loud. I kept drinking water but didnt seem to help.

In the end I was sat bolt up right on the bed for 30 mins, I controlled my breathing by pushing my tongue to the bottom of my mouth coz it opened my throat a bit and it seemed to ease and I eventually fell asleep at 1am (thought I wasn't gonna wake up mind lol:shock: )

In the morning everythin was fine, like it never happened, could breath easily.

Spent the day at the theme park, was fine.

Arrived at my bfs house after our day out and after an hour my chest/throat was acting the same... I go to his at least 5 days a week and ive been fine in the past...

It did happen to me a few weeks ago but I combined it with the cats and hay fever...

So what do you think it is just the allergy to the cats even though it never happened with my own cat or my brothers cats??? Im confused.

yola
08-07-2009, 03:06 PM
It DOES sound like an allergic reaction . . I'm asthmatic and suffer with a dog allergy which always has that result (together with runny eyes/nose, hives and general skin itching). I did also start reacting with shortness of breath when Myshka joined us but that passed within a month or two, thankfully.

My brother is very allergic to cats, however he reacts far less to my persians (and to his own long-haired cat) then to short-haireds, which really set him off.

It could be because you are spending more time with unfamiliar cats - your body will hopefully get used to the new cat. Also you're right it could be the combination of poor air quality/hay fever etc that is just making it so much worse.

I hope it does resolve itself soon Jane.

Kazz
08-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Maybe your system overloaded.....no expert on allergies to cats but hope it resolves itself isn't there something you can take to "build up an immunity" sure DM said her son or soninlaw takes something like that.

dinahsmum
08-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Poor you. Sounds like an allergic reaction but I don't suppose you can say it's def. the cat causing it just yet. Anything else new in the house, particularly something commercial made with a fragrance - air freshener, carpet cleaner etc etc?

I haven't any magic answer, though I do havea son who grew up in a house with two or three cats but developed a reaction to them (or maybe to dogs - we automatically say cats but it might be the dog) when he moved away. We've found the 'pet wipes', together with antihistamine (the one a day non-drowsy ones) work perfectly well. You had such a severe reaction I think I'd make sure I always had a/h pills to hand.

angieh
08-07-2009, 04:17 PM
I am a lifelong asthmatic and have also lived happily with cats for the last 24 years. It does sound like an allergic reaction, and I would at least try the antihistamines. However, I have had one bout where my OH had to call an ambulance. Only one about 4 years ago and it was caused by an infection. I am "used" to being short of breath and wheezy, but I was scared.

For your own peace of mind I would go see your G.P. You'll probably be referred for an x-ray, which could rule that out.

janey83
08-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey, thanks for replying.

I do take antihistamines when I remember and also a nose spray (which I should take every day for the rest of my life so the doc said 18 yrs ago!) but I have never got in to a routine.

Ill see how my next few visits to my bfs house goes, though I wont be going for the next 4 days as we are both busy out n about.

Will keep ya updated.

Leesy
08-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Hope that your breakaway from your bfs house give`s your system a bit of a clear out and that when you go back everything is OK, but if it dosen`t I think you will be able to get something sorted out at the docs;)