PDA

View Full Version : K in hospital again

Pages : [1] 2

Tink
06-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Prayers needed. Things took a turn for the worse and I rushed him to the ER last night. Spent most of the night in there and then was transferred to ICU. Going back into surgery in two hours. Good thoughts needed please. Will post more details later. Have not slept at all and a bit braindead. I will just say he is in critical condition for now.

Leesy
06-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Oh Tink I am so sorry to hear that K has taken a turn for the worse and is back in hospital, you must be at your wits end and so worried.
I am sending you as many prayers and get well vibes as I possibly can yours and K`s way.
Hope that all goes well ( ( (HUGS) ) Pauline Xxx.

random
06-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Oh Tink I do hope he is ok, what a shock for you. In my prayers. x

Moli
06-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Sorry to hear this, thoughts and vibes with you and K...x

angieh
06-07-2009, 08:30 PM
I am very sorry. All healing and good vibes coming yours and K's way. Hang on in there.

dandysmom
06-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Oh Tink, so so sorry...prayers continuing to come. Be strong......

Erin
06-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Oh Tink, Im so sorry to hear this,lots of healing and good vibes coming your way ((((hugs))))

Tink
06-07-2009, 08:47 PM
thank you, all.

calismum
06-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Tink, all good vibes winging there way to you both. I hope all goes well.

pinklizzy
06-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Lots of prayers being sent to you both. XXXXXX

Kim
06-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Thinking of you and K ((hugs)) xx

Mags
06-07-2009, 10:09 PM
So sorry to hear this Tink, my thoughts are with you both and healing vibes are winging their way to K......... ((((hugs)))) xx

alexgirl73
06-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Sorry to hear this Tink, Prayers and healing vibes being sent from this end too ((hugs)) xx

pookyandjo
07-07-2009, 02:39 AM
not good tink... will keep you both in my thoughts......keep thinking positive thoughts too.. take care xox

smudgley
07-07-2009, 07:01 AM
Tink, I'm really sad to hear this news, but be strong (again) and things will be fine I'm sure.

update us when you have time to. x

yola
07-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Sorry to be reading this Tink. I'm sure with you by his side K will have the continued strength to fight this setback - hang on in there, both of you!!

MrsH
07-07-2009, 09:14 AM
So sorry to hear of this setback, I didn't log on yesterday evening so I've only just seen this. Keeping you both in my thoughts and hoping for good news from you later today.

dinahsmum
07-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Oh I'm sorry to hear this. Don't be dispirited - it was always going to be a long and potentially rocky road back to full health.
Healing vibes.

HappyKatz
07-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Oh my Tink...I hope K is going to be okay *crossing fingers & paws*
Thinking of both of you & here are as many ((vibes)) as you both may need :smt049

Tink
07-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Well, a million things have happened since I last posted so I'll try to sum it up and keep it to the point (plus I'm functioning on very little sleep and if I get caught up in details this post could get squirrely).
This is what we know: He has tested positive for a staph infection at the incision area of his heart surgery. He was brought into the operating room and the surgeon had to make some decisions about how deep to go and clean up being that an infection like this could easily spread to other places once he's opened up and it could make things worse to go poking around in there.
What it comes down to is they made the decision to detach his sternum into two for the time being (he is laying there with his chest literally wide open right now with what looks like saran wrap and iodine over it).
We DON'T know if it's spread to the heart. We are going to have him taken to the OR every few days for a week to go in and clean. After that, we will guage if we will risk going even deeper into the chest cavity and seeing what we will discover. This will be based on his clinical signs.
His sternum will heal spread apart like that. Eventually he'll need reconstructive surgery or a metal plate put in to hold his chest together..but that's in the future.
Everything is day by day. We don't have all the answers. He is in a lot of pain and being given pain medication every five minutes and continuously sedated.
This morning he began coughing up blood and they made the decision to remove the ventilator as it was aggravating this. He is now on a BiPap machine which stabalized him and helped him greatly last time he was in.
Things are touch and go. It's just wait and see.

yola
07-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Tink - I'm not someone who prays but in this instance I will do so. How utterly terrifying for you and those around you . . . it sounds like something from your worst imaginable nightmare . . . I am wishing you both all the love and luck in the world, even though I know words mean little at a chaotic time such as this.

We're all thinking of you both; please know that.

dandysmom
07-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Oh Tink ......... what can I say? A nightmare; prayers will continue; everyone is pulling for you and K...xxxxx

Mags
07-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Tink, we are all here with you supporting you through this awful setback. You are being exceptionally brave and displaying such strength at this difficult time and I think I can speak for others by saying we are proud of you. (((hugs)))

K is in excellent hands and the doctors will do everything possible for him. You look after yourself in the meantime, you have to keep up your own strength for him.

Loads of healing vibes, prayers and hugs being sent to you ..... take care.... xxx

angieh
07-07-2009, 10:25 PM
((((HUGS)))) Tink. My thoughts are with you and K.

MrsH
08-07-2009, 12:01 AM
(((HUGS))) to you from me. I can only echo the thoughts and prayers of everyone else on here. Stay strong!

smudgley
08-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Tink, our thoughts are with you. You are so brave & caring. I can't begin to imagine what you are feeling right now.

{HUGS}

please look after yourself too. You will be of no use to him, if you exhaust yourself. x

alexgirl73
08-07-2009, 07:48 AM
I echo everyone elses sentiments Tink. Please know that I am praying for you both, try and get as much rest as you possibly can hunnie ((hugs)) xx

Leesy
08-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Oh Tink for once sweetie words fail me, what a nightmare for both you and K, ((HUGS)) ((HUGS)) and more ((HUGS)).
Be brave for your man as I know you will be and ((PLEASE)) take care of yourself in all of this and think major positive thoughts for his save return back to you.
My thoughts and prayers are with you both and your family`s at this time of need.
Take care Tink and please keep us posted when you have the time Pauline Xxx.

dinahsmum
08-07-2009, 09:25 AM
I haven't any new words - just echo everything everyone has said above.
Keep breathing, keep putting one foot in front of the other, keep eating (if you can only eat a little, make it good, maybe take supplements), keep looking after your furry family and, eventually, this will resolve itself.
x

random
08-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Oh Tink i'm so terribly sorry to hear this has happened, you have been in my prayers and will continue to be, I really hope K starts improving and feeling better soon. We are all here for you anytime. x

pookyandjo
08-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Nothing much else to say Tink that the other haven't already said..other than K is in the best place that he can be at the moment... at least they are aware of what the problem is and are taking steps to rectify it...I will continue to keep you both in my thoughts... keep posting if for no other reason but to clarify your thoughts for a later time when things have settled..
take care xoxo

Tink
08-07-2009, 08:34 PM
K was able to stand and sit for brief periods twice since I last posted.
Bad news is his right lung is collapsed and today they are going to induce coughing which is excruciating when your chest is cut open. He is still coughing up a bit of blood. They may need to put him back on the ventilator in order to do this but are going to avoid this at all costs if possible as it truly makes him miserable to have that tube down his throat.
They are doing an ultra sound today on his lung to see if there is fluid causing the collapse and also the painful spasms/cramping in his chest area that have been non stop since sunday night. If so, they will aspirate with a needle or small tube and send it to the lab to be tested for infection as well. Let's hope this area of his body has not been infected yet.
Tomorrow they will be taking him to OR to clean out the chest cavity again and see how things look.
He's realizing he's going to be hospitalized for quite awhile and his spirits are a bit low.

calismum
08-07-2009, 09:34 PM
I hope he continues to improve. He is, at least in the right place and it sounds as if he is getting the best possible care.

Look after yourself and be strong, again.

Big (((hugs))) for both of you.

dandysmom
08-07-2009, 09:40 PM
I was almost afraid to open this post, Tink; not good news at all, but he's fighting and the doctors are doing whatever is necessary to get him healed and well. Poor K, he must be in such discomfort; I do hope and pray they'll have him better very soon. With love and prayers, xxxx

Kazz
08-07-2009, 10:43 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you...........thinking of you.

Mags
08-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Comforting hugs to you Tink, I hope K will start to feel better soon...

Leesy
08-07-2009, 11:01 PM
I am praying that things will start to improve very quickly for K, like DM said he must be in some discomfort at the moment.
Take care and be strong,
BIG ((HUGS)) PaulineXxx.

angieh
09-07-2009, 12:05 PM
((((HUGS)))) and healing vibes to K and to you too Tink. You are both strong people and deserve some better luck.

Tink
12-07-2009, 01:22 AM
just thought i'd let ya guys know he's still in ICU. i'm just too emotionally exhausted to talk about it..sorry:oops:

dandysmom
12-07-2009, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the update, have been worrying. Stay strong, post when you feel up to it; prayers coming, Tink.

dinahsmum
12-07-2009, 07:26 AM
Thanks for popping in Tink. I had been concerned too. Take care x

alexgirl73
12-07-2009, 08:24 AM
thanks for posting Tink, yet another concerned friend here xx

MrsH
12-07-2009, 08:49 AM
More good wishes from here too. Pop in when you feel you can, stay strong for K.

Mags
12-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Stay positive Tink, thinking of you ((((hugs)))) xx

calismum
12-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the update, was worried we hadn't heard from you. Big (((hugs))) to you both.

CM

Leesy
13-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Stay strong and be brave Tink, we are all here for you,
Thanks for posting and please post again when you feel you can, our prayers and thoughts are with you and K (((HUGS))) Xxx.

angieh
13-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Post when you can Tink - I am rooting for K and you too. Take care ((((HUGS))))

Moli
13-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Thought and Hugs with you and K...xx

pookyandjo
13-07-2009, 01:31 PM
take care Tink... keep positive... thinking good thoughts for you and K xox

Tink
13-07-2009, 07:48 PM
thanks guys...well they let me watch him get opened up today...looks like another week before we can get the okay that the infection is gone and start reconstructive surgery.
i am strong in front of him then i go home and i let myself cry by myself.
the money is running out and i'm trying to find ways to be resourceful and keep everything up and running while he's in there.
things are just tough right now and i'm on a rollercoaster of emotions.

calismum
13-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Take care of yourself Tink. I am hoping all goes well.

Thinking of you both.

Leesy
13-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Oh Tink BIG ( ( (HUGS) ) ) to you from the sound of it you need some, you are one extremly stong person to hold up like you have done over these past few weeks, you really have been through it.
Again hang on in there we are thinking about you Pauline xxx.

yola
13-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Oh my. The last thing you need is money troubles on top of everything else. I know it'll probably stick in your throat to ask, but can your and K's family help out a little financially? If he's not getting sick pay it must be starting to hurt a bit. I think practical help in terms of bill paying at a time like this can make all the difference. Swallow your pride my dear and ask away - it'll take a heck of a lot of pressure off!

dandysmom
13-07-2009, 08:07 PM
I agree with Yola about that, Tink......

Tink
13-07-2009, 08:20 PM
his mom is paying his bills and the utilities to keep them on. but my car's just broken down and i paid for that. plus gas money for an hours drive everyday. and now my phone is out of minutes. the animals have food but i don't so i'm stealing hospital food off k's plate after he's done eating. i have nine dollars to my name right now.

random
13-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Oh Tink i'm so sorry to hear you are having money troubles too, I hope K continues to improve and the infection clears up soon. Perhaps have a clear out and put some stuff on Ebay on or something? Although I appreciate you probably don't have a lot of spare time just now. I'm really sorry, I hope things look up soon. x

Tink
13-07-2009, 09:40 PM
oh and my parents are worse off financially than me so i don't want to ask them.
sorry about all the venting.
i'll be fine.

Tink
14-07-2009, 02:55 AM
i have a picture of his wound. it is graphic so i won't post a link even. but from a scientific perspective it is interesting i suppose. if anyone would like to see, pm me and i will show you..

angieh
14-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Tink I am very sorry about your money worries on top of everything. I hope things start to look up very soon. Don't worry about venting here - if it makes you feel better, that's the important thing. All positive thoughts and wishes continuing to flow your and K's way ((((HUGS))))

Tink
16-07-2009, 02:25 AM
well, they are putting the metal plate in tomorrow.
plastic surgeon and cardiac surgeon are tag teaming the procedure.
this is great news because it means that if he does well he could get out as early as a week! (they were saying five or six more weeks just the other day)
fingers crossed he is not in there for very much longer. they change their minds all the time, LOL.
i am still struggling but when there's a will there's a way..i've had to sell something that was sentimental to me but it's okay it's worth it.
maybe this is all gonna work out sooner rather than later.
i hope so. i'm tired of sleeping at the hospital, LOL. and i'm sure he is too.
will update when i can...
tink

dinahsmum
16-07-2009, 08:53 AM
One day you'll be able to look back on all this and feel good about how well you both coped.
I'm sure it's like some awful nightmare now, never knowing whether the day will be a good one or whether the fates will throw something new at you.
Sounds like you're both doing fine - great. Keep it up. All good wishes.

yola
16-07-2009, 09:25 AM
I'm in awe of the reserves you seem to be calling on to get yourself and K out the other end of this nightmare. If I ever meet you in person I would like to give you both the biggest of hugs :D

angieh
16-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Yes, you two are the bravest! I'm sure you know we're all rooting for you both ........... ((((HUGS))))

dandysmom
16-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Praying all goes well with the surgery tomorrow and that the earlier release date will happen! I too am awed at how you're coping in this nightmare scenario ... you are one brave, strong woman! xxx

Tink
16-07-2009, 05:10 PM
okay guys here's the tracker again. he's patient 221503

http://www.peacehealth.org/apps/smartrack/view.asp?fac_mnc=SJH

Tink
16-07-2009, 05:14 PM
i just kissed him goodbye a little while ago

Mags
16-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Every good wish for success with K's op tomorrow, Tink.....

jan
16-07-2009, 09:17 PM
I am sorry. Only just read this thread. I want to send you all good vibes for Ks op tomorrow. I am so sorry to read of your troubles, while you are going through them it seems never ending. You sound such a strong resilient woman though I am sure right now you would nt agree with that as you are bound to be emotional and shattered. Take care of yourself during all this stress. Love Jan x

Tink
17-07-2009, 02:57 AM
Patient is in recovery breathing well and in some understandable pain but doing well :-)

Mags
17-07-2009, 08:41 AM
So relieved to hear K's op went well, Tink.

Best wishes to you both...

yola
17-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Good news Tink! Continued best wishes for a rapid (and this time full), recovery.

angieh
17-07-2009, 01:24 PM
I do hope that recovery is good this time. Take care of yourself Tink - K's in good hands.

dandysmom
17-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Yes, do tale care of yourself; so glad it's over and he can start again on the road to full recovery.

calismum
17-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Sending best wishes and big (((hugs))) to both of you.

I do so admire the way you are keeping things going. Keep strong.

Tink
18-07-2009, 04:15 AM
Was transferred to the cardiac unit today..progress! :-)

Mags
18-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Good news Tink....... hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel now and K's recovery will steadily improve ..... (((hugs)))

dandysmom
18-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Very glad to hear that news!

Tink
19-07-2009, 08:47 AM
well they found an air pocket in his chest so drains not coming out as soon as we liked which is next step to going home..have also had a slew of incompassionate trolls that call themselves nurses...i don't know why those kind of people work in this field.

dandysmom
19-07-2009, 04:09 PM
What a shame, hope he'll be well enough to come home soon. Nurses ......burnout? It's a very stressful job; no excuse for not being compassionate, however.

Tink
21-07-2009, 07:19 AM
WE are home. Yes, WE!!!
He is hooked up to all kinds of things and we have a home health nurse coming twice a week and lots of fancy things to inject into him and such...BUT HE IS HOME.

Tink
21-07-2009, 07:57 AM
got a schedule of putting meds through his picc line at 6pm, 2am, and 10am. then a different set at 12pm and 12am.
i'm currently listening to his automatic pump for another set of drugs as he sleeps. i feel like a nurse, LOL.

dinahsmum
21-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Good news!
Continued good wishes for an uneventful and steady recovery

yola
21-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Oh that's wonderful news!! Hopefully being home and in his own environment, K'll recover much faster.

That level and complexity of medication is quite a responsibility on you - the hospital must have thought you capable though to release K into your care :-D

Hurrah!!!

tilly
21-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Glad he is home and I hope he continues to improve.

take care of yourself to (((((HUGS))))

Tilly

Mags
21-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Wonderful news Tink!

I'm sure you will make a good 'nurse' and K will respond well in your care.

Top of the list ......... he must listen to you and must REST and not try to do anything strenuous...;)

Lots of good wishes to you both and strong healing vibes to K..

dandysmom
21-07-2009, 04:14 PM
So happy to hear the news! I hope he'll improve by leaps and bounds being home again ...... and he must not try to do too much too soon! You've been so brave during this!

angieh
21-07-2009, 04:44 PM
I think you've been wonderful Tink and so strong through all this. I hope that K starts to get stronger every day with your love and care. Don't forget to take care of yourself too. At least you won't have all that travelling to the hospital. Bet the kids are glad to have you both home.

Continued get well vibes from me and ((((HUGS)))) too.

calismum
21-07-2009, 07:29 PM
So pleased to hear this Tink. Best wishes winging their way to you both. (((hugs))) to you both.

HappyKatz
21-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Thank goodness you both get to be home! Must feel nice even if you are nurse Tink :-D
Many well wishes & plenty of hugs! Hope K keeps getting better & better...:smt049

PoshPuss
22-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Tink, just adding my 2 cents to everything the girls have said here. You are being a wonderful nurse and a rock to K at this really taxing time. Take care of yourself too. Big hugs. Nette x

Tink
23-07-2009, 09:03 AM
thanks, guys.
i just wanted to check in and let you know we are both okay..just an adjustment period happening.
things have actually been very busy doing home health care and communicating with the various specialists involved.
i'm not sure if i already mentioned this but the first time they did surgery they sent biopsies of his heart to the lab and confirmed he has giant cell arteritis (they previously thought it was takayasu's arteritis, slightly different).
well, they have never seen this autoimmune disease in this county and are even more intrigued that it was confirmed in a 38 year old.
hence all the specialists. which is great but also a little overwhelming and confusing.
but i can't complain. he's home and progressing slowly.
ironically, now that i am home in my own bed i am having trouble sleeping. i think my mind is still processing all that has gone in the last month or so. i've been in survival mode for so many weeks that i've not really allowed everything to sink in because while it was all happening there really wasn't time to.
but we are doing well. it is just a bit different around here and i'm sure it'll settle down in time. i probably was so focused on getting back home because i thought that would make things "normal" but now i'm realizing that home does not equal normal.
i hope that doesn't sound like i'm complaining. i just kind of needed to get that off my chest. don't get me wrong, i'm very thankful we got to where we are and i know it could have been worse. the dust just needs to settle in my brain is all.

yola
23-07-2009, 09:26 AM
I know what you mean about the normal not being normal. I was in hospital, very ill for 2 weeks in 1995. But I was 200 miles from home - and all I wanted was to get home. However until I had recovered in order to function fully around the home it kind of didn't feel right; having people do things for me and not be eating properly or having the strength to do much really threw me as I didn't interact with my environment as I was used to doing previously.

As K recovers and the normal dynamic of your home returns I'm sure familiarity and normality will be restored bit by bit.

dandysmom
23-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Tink, it's possible you might have a slight case of PTSD ...doesn't just happen to combat vets, anyone who's been thru a a severe highly stressful trauma can exhibit the signs. And I think that pretty well describes what you've been thru in this horrifying episode. So I think it's perfectly natural to experience what you're feeling now. I think it's great that you can share this with us; I do think it helps. I'm certainly no psychiatrist but am just offering up my ideas on the subject, for what they're worth. Hang in there, it's going to get better, slowly but surely; you've been a tower of strength throughout it. XXXX

calismum
23-07-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm sure that for every step K takes in his recovery you will both be a step closer to 'normality'. At the moment it must all seem so unreal to you.

Please look after yourself as well as K, you too have been through loads and it will have had an effect on you, whether you realise it or not.

Tink
24-07-2009, 09:29 AM
thanks for all the kind feedback, everyone. it's appreciated.
i have a pic again. this time it is not so graphic it is just his chest all purdy and stapled up and put back together (yay!). i never knew how i could take something for granted like having my man's chest in one piece but it is a huge relief not to see his insides anymore! :lol:
i'll post it as a link because although i don't find it graphic maybe some people are sensitive and i don't want to offend anyone.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm211/darkpixietink/20090721_3302.jpg

he has lost about an inch of his chest so that's why his tattoos are closer together now. he's also lost about 30 pounds in the last month..he blames it on hospital food :lol:

Mags
24-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Goodness Tink, that really brings it home how much work they had to do on K..... I am very surprised that you are able to have him back home with you so soon after that.:shock:
The surgeons have made a very neat job of it, haven't they?

I would think it will be a long road before he is fully fit but he is lucky to have your wonderful support and care to help him through it. The important thing is not to rush things too quickly, he needs all the rest he can get to heal and rebuild his strength.

Make sure you don't neglect yourself, you too need your rest and strength ;)

I think you will come out of this a stronger and more confident person, Tink. You have found an inner strength throughout K's illness and should be proud of yourself.

Lots of good wishes to you both ((((hugs)))) xx

dandysmom
24-07-2009, 03:58 PM
I can only echo what Mags has said so eloquently!

angieh
24-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Ditto from me Tink and :bighug:

calismum
24-07-2009, 08:10 PM
and me.... ((((hugs))))

Tink
27-07-2009, 01:51 AM
well his picc line accidentally came out. that pump gives antibiotics into his bloodstream every 4 hours..now it's gone.
the after hours home health nurse told me to take him to ER for a new one.
he refuses to go. says it can wait till tomorrow.
i sure hope so.
frustrated. so very frustrated, upset, and worried.
if this thing doesn't kill him, i just might do it myself.
sorry. but i'm livid right now.