PDA

View Full Version : What's the largest prey your cats have brought in?

Phoenix
06-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Yesterday I'd have said rats, but today Dylan brought in a full grown rabbit :shock: No idea how he managed to bring it in because the cat flap's been locked all day because Dylan doesn't want to go out today again.

Leesy
06-07-2009, 05:52 PM
WOW a rabbit :shock: :shock: , that would certainly take some doing, it wasn`t somebody`s pet rabbit was it.

Mags
06-07-2009, 05:53 PM
I hope you took a photo of it RCR :lol:

Phoenix
06-07-2009, 05:53 PM
No, looked like a wild rabbit (headless though - Dylan's got an obsession with eating his prey's heads) :shock:

Leesy
06-07-2009, 06:27 PM
My Charkie used to have that obsession as well no matter what it was he had caught and killed he had always eaten it`s head (YUK):shock:

Phoenix
06-07-2009, 06:40 PM
I hope you took a photo of it RCR :lol:

Please don't make me go and fish it out of the bin Mags! :shock: Like I said it's a bit gruesome because it was headless and had it's guts hanging out :shock:

cats' staff
06-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Years ago a childhood cat bougt home a very large koi carp - gulp!

Mags
06-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Please don't make me go and fish it out of the bin Mags! :shock: Like I said it's a bit gruesome because it was headless and had it's guts hanging out :shock:
Not likely RCR ..... I didn't realise it was headless!! :cat36:lol:

MrsH
06-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Now, what you should have done was make a nice rabbit pie with that! :lol: :lol:

Mags
06-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Now, what you should have done was make a nice rabbit pie with that! :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

angieh
06-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Kizzy has so far contented herself with small mice, voles and shrews - nothing the size of a full grown bunny!

dandysmom
06-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Dylan is quite the hunter! Leia is indoors as you know, but did kill a quite large rat that had gotten in. Fortunately, she never eats them .........cat food comes in tins!!!

calismum
06-07-2009, 09:21 PM
My first cat Shanti (a male) brought me home a half drowned kitten! She was about 5 weeks old and we managed to nurse her to health and kept her.

dandysmom
06-07-2009, 09:26 PM
What a lovely story, CM!

smokytopaz
06-07-2009, 10:40 PM
I once had a ginger tom, Rufus, and he brought in a hamster. Said Hammy was alive and well and totally unafraid of Rufus. Rufus was struggling to get through the cat flap backwards............ and then we both sat and looked at the Hamster.

Maybe rabbit pie will wait another year.:shock:

MrsH
06-07-2009, 10:43 PM
We had a dead pigeon dragged in through the cat-flap once.

Moli
06-07-2009, 10:44 PM
I do not know if its considered prey, but Oliver when just a kitten brought home as stuffed owl, twice the size of himself, which I discovered he had pinched from the child next door!!!

smokytopaz
06-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Rufus's hamster was also pinched from the child next door!

pookyandjo
07-07-2009, 03:07 AM
one of my previous cats... a tabby and white named John had a thing about removing the head of his prey:shock: .... the biggest thing he brought home was a seagull... minus its head of course...:roll: but then i suppuse seagulls are still considered as rats..... albeit ones with wings!:twisted:

Luke
07-07-2009, 04:57 AM
Erm well of mice, rats, bats, grass snakes, rabbits, voles, pigeons, ducks, ducklings, (both from the river flowing near our house), on a few occasions young hares, moles, moorehens, and on one occasion a pheasant (unmarked and I believe ended up as part of sunday lunch at my grandparents house!) so take your pick:lol:

Gumby Cat
07-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Years ago one of my cats staggered in with a large wood pigeon almost as big as himself! How on earth he got it through the cat flap I could never fathom out.

niki71uk
07-07-2009, 07:37 PM
my toby then bout 6 mnths brought hom a seagull,2 full wings a bit of body and 2 legs,all still attached.he'd brought it in through the window.i woke up hearing crunching noises,got a plastic bag turned inside out n lifted it up put it out the window,closed the window n went back to bed !!!!!!

angieh
07-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Merlin was a bit of a scavenger and once bought home a roast potato (quite dead) and on another occasion a rather large piece of bacon rind, both presumable stolen for someone's bird table!

EmmaG
07-07-2009, 08:22 PM
LOL Angie at the Roast Potato!

Arthur caught a rabbit once, still alive and dragged it up the garden, it was making a terrible noise! OH got if off of him and released it back into the field behind where we live.

He has also brought in a rat.

cats' staff
07-07-2009, 09:02 PM
A previous cat, Herod, did bring home a pack of bacon once, slightly savaged at one corner. I'm veggie so it wasn't mine but I never found which neighbour he nicked it from! :oops:

angieh
07-07-2009, 10:18 PM
..... a cat called "Herod" - and bacon ........ hmmmmmmmm

TraceyRisebrow
08-07-2009, 10:00 AM
when we had our first kittens 20 years ago I remember going to the back door after seeing them outside the cat flap wondering why they were not coming in. There they were (only about 4 months old) sitting either side of a very big, very dead rat. Clearly it had been a team effort but they were unable to get it through the cat flap!

pookyandjo
08-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Merlin was a bit of a scavenger and once bought home a roast potato (quite dead) and on another occasion a rather large piece of bacon rind, both presumable stolen for someone's bird table!

shock and horror!!!:shock: :shock: :shock:

I hope you attached a bell to his collar after that so no more unsuspecting roast potatoes had to die at the hands of your Merlin!;)

dandysmom
08-07-2009, 03:57 PM
shock and horror!!!:shock: :shock: :shock:

I hope you attached a bell to his collar after that so no more unsuspecting roast potatoes had to die at the hands of your Merlin!;)

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005

cats' staff
08-07-2009, 05:46 PM
..... a cat called "Herod" - and bacon ........ hmmmmmmmm

Others have commented on his name - he 'slaughtered innocents' was my logic but no he wasn't a kosher cat...... Look I was an archaeology student at the time, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! (and yes I did regret it when he went missing once and I had to walk the streets of Sheffield shouting his name loudly! He finally came home with a 'that'll teach you' glint in his eye)

angieh
08-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Your surname isn't Antiphas, by any chance???

cats' staff
09-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Your surname isn't Antiphas, by any chance???

No but Herod would have liked 'the Great' as a surname!

angieh
09-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Others have commented on his name - he 'slaughtered innocents' was my logic but no he wasn't a kosher cat...... Look I was an archaeology student at the time, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! (and yes I did regret it when he went missing once and I had to walk the streets of Sheffield shouting his name loudly! He finally came home with a 'that'll teach you' glint in his eye)

No but Herod would have liked 'the Great' as a surname!

If you'd gone around the streets of Sheffield shouting "Herod the Great" I suspect you may have been "taken into protective custody"!

jan
09-07-2009, 10:33 PM
:shock: Well, Smudge, now departed,must have been my greatest pilferer - pigeons, moles, a full grown brown rat which HE ATE ! yuk, all manner of birds and small mousey type animals, but the biggest thing he ever dragged home was a grey squirrel!! dragged it very dead up the path and proudly stood by it as we had fits. Apparently it was stiff as a board and had been dead some time but old Smudge was as pleased as punch!

Max Cat often nabbed goldfish from my neighbours pond. But I think a leg of pork (or beef or lamb) was his biggest trophy, steaming hot and followed by every cat in the neighbourhood - I caught a glimpse of him struggling up the drive with it. (Still no idea whose it was!) I still laugh. Jan x :D

angieh
09-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Goodness Jan - a roast joint! Now that has got to be the best "prey"!

And a grey squirrel ....... Dandysmom would approve of that!

Leesy
09-07-2009, 11:29 PM
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 Jan that sounds soooooo funny, I am just trying to picture a cat dragging a joint up the drive, I would love to have seen the faces of whose ever it was.

dandysmom
09-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Goodness Jan - a roast joint! Now that has got to be the best "prey"!

And a grey squirrel ....... Dandysmom would approve of that!

Indeed! Bless that cat!!! :-D